Water in Duct in Mobile Home

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondee

Reaction score
I hope some one can give me some information on this topic. I live in a mobile home. A little more than a year ago, I had to get a new furnace. Installation went with out a hitch. My trailer is 30 years old, and was lucky to find a furnace that would fit the spot. At the end of last summer I found about three inches of water in the one duct that runs almost the full length of the trailer. I cyphoned the water out and by the time the heat had to go on, the duct was dry.
Promising myself to deal with it before a catastrophe occurs, I have had 2 people check out the duct, trying to find why the water would collect in the duct. I have had the duct cleaned and it wasnt very dirty to my surprise. But after running the air conditioner for a few hours, there was about 1/2 inch of water in the duct in the area just the other side of where the furnace is located. The entire duct was NOT filled with any water at all. I was told the drip pan located under the furnace was dry.
Its hard to find people to work on trailers, so I am at a disadvantage.
What I need to relay to the person who is helping me is what can possibly be blocking the drainage of the water, and what can we do about it?:confused: I love my trailer, but it really heats up in here in the summer, so I really need some help here ASAP and would greatly appreciate any light any one can shine on this situation.
Please & Thanks,
Blondee

Greetings blondee,

sounds to me like the drainage of your condenser is not working properly, Can't remember from my trailer days how it drained, but in a house we usually have a flexable tubing approximately 3/4" in diameter that goes from the condenser that is located on the duct side trunking of the furnace which drains the water from the condenser away to a drain, (possibly just under the trailer in your situation).

I'm wondering if the person who installed the new furnace somehow either did not put the tubing back in place. Or maybe the tubing has a crack or is plugged causing the water to drain into your ductwork.

There is no water and/or drainage in/on/around or otherwise by the condensor coils.
To solve this problem, you will need to channel the condensation coming from the evaporator coils to the outside.

Welcome Blondee:
Looking at the furnace, you will notice it is sitting on top of an extra box. The box should have a copper line the size of your pinky finger running into it and another copper line larger than your thumb coming out. When the air conditioner is running the small line will be slightly warm and the larger one will be somewhat cool, maybe even frosty.
Below the two copper lines there should be another line comming out of the box that is still larger and made of white plastic. That is the drain line for the condensate (water) that comes off the evaporator coils and should run to the outside, down near the ground and have a trap in the end of it to keep the bugs out.
If yours has a white plastic plug screwed into the box, your installer forgot to drain it and the water spills out into your ductwork. In that case you should call the installer back and ask them to complete the drain.
Glenn

Actually Glenn, I think (if i remember correctly) that the condenser is on the bottom side since the ducts run under the house.

hondadrv24, the condensor coils will be outside with the compressor. You are consistently getting your coils confused.
Glennjanie, any chance that the condesated line could be copper or poly? Any chance that the pvc tube could be other than white?
Blondee, if the condensate line is missing, have one installed. If the condensate line is present, check it to see if it is plugged.

Yea, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed again :)

Many thanks for the information gathered here in easy to understand language. I will print out this info and pass it along to the guy who will be coming to look at it this week.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I would not hesitate to use this site again for other topics.
Blondee:)

Back