Water in toilet goes down when its not suppose too.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
Our main line became clogged again with tree roots (needs dug up and replaced)we rented a sewer auger and went down the pipe 3 times to the street every thing was working fine we tried every thing before quitting and it flowed perfect until my wife took her bath she noticed the toilet was draining until just a little water remained. Our venting system has a little to be desired the vent is only 1/12or2 inches and is in the middle of all the bathroom fixtures. our kitchen sink ,dish washer ,washer have no vent. Could this be a venting problem or is the line still not cleared all the way?

Sure sounds like a vent issue to me.
Sometimes as the sewer backs up from a stoppage it backs up into the vent line.
Even if the main line gets cleaned out the vent may remain plugged up.

You would normally snake it from the roof. I completely agree with @joecaption this is most assuredly a clogged vent.

You should use a sewer auger if you have one, otherwise start with spraying a hose (with a nozzle that will allow you to direct the pressure) down the pipe to see if that clears the obstruction (assuming the obstruction isn't visable/reachable from the roof). If the hose doesn't work and you aren't at the stage of buying an auger sometimes a plunger in the toilet will create enough suction to clear the blockage from the vent.

Auger Example from HD Link

As it turns out the plug is now further out than the original 50 feet . I think 1 of my grand kids has flushed one of their toys down the toilet like a ball or something and we were just pushing it a long. we did get tree roots tho. now we are going to get the 100 foot power auger and go to the city main. If it was just water we were sending down the drain I wouldn't worry about it because it goes down rather quickly but its the #2 I'm worried about slowly plugging it back up again oh well hopefully this will all be taken care of tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well I think I finally got it about 80 feet out we hit a plug of baby wipes and poo. filled the bath tub twice and both times it drained perfect. Wish me luck.

Well I think I finally got it about 80 feet out we hit a plug of baby wipes and poo. filled the bath tub twice and both times it drained perfect. Wish me luck.
I have rental properties, and the #1 problem with blocked sewers is the "flushable" wipes. Ask any drain cleaning tech.

I work with disabled veterans, some of whom are not mentally balanced. One guy was mad as hell because his toilet would not flush. Go the plumber snake guy on the roof and did the water jet thing .... no help. Resorted to the auger, which hit a weird obstruction about 20 feet along the line. He yanked and yanked .... finally pulling the snake out of the drain attached to .... wait for it .... a very long, tangled wad of surgical dressing the veteran had tried to flush. He was standing next to me. "You won't do that again, right?" I said. He just mumbled and went back in the house.

Back