Water leaking through Garage walls and door. Who should I contact to fix this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagetrip

Reaction score
It's been raining heavily for the whole day today and we just saw water leaking through garage door and walls. Should I call a general contractor to fix this type of stuff? Who would be able to diagnose the issue? The leaks through the door can be resolved by replacing the door but what about other locations? I looked outside and the siding seemed fine. I could not find any obvious cracks. I am also scared as this leak is pretty close to the electric panel.
Would home warranty cover this sort of thing?
Below are pics and video:

imgur.com
Thanks.

It appears you have wind driven rain that hit that side of the home. It's not a warranty issue. Where are you located? How old is the house? Do you have a full exterior pictures of the elevation of the home where these leaks are occurring?

It appears you have wind driven rain that hit that side of the home. It's not a warranty issue. Where are you located? How old is the house? Do you have a full exterior pictures of the elevation of the home where these leaks are occurring?
Thanks. The house is in Seattle and was built in 1967. I am unable to spot the location on the exterior where the leaks are occurring. The exterior looks fine without any issues. The siding was also painted recently (within past 5 years).

Welcome.

A more panoramic photo is what is being asked for, so step back about 20' and take the photo.

The pedestrian door may need little more than weather stripping and a threshold.

Welcome.

A more panoramic photo is what is being asked for, so step back about 20' and take the photo.

The pedestrian door may need little more than weather stripping and a threshold.
Thank you all for your responses. Below are more pictures from far away. The concrete part is the foundation. Garage a few steps lower than the house which can be seen in one of the pictures.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

Thanks, and the obvious would be to check the caulk around the window and the base of the dish antenna.

Well we can eliminate ground water as a cause.

What kind of siding is that? It looks like you have water coming down a wall and entering the interior. Maybe the vapor barrier (behind the siding) has failed and it is allowing water to enter the dwelling.

Start with caulking the windows on the outside. (The one on the wall and the one on the door).

If that doesn't do it then you might have to replace the vapor barrier which would involve removal and re-attachment of the siding.

It is not uncommon for a vapor barrier to "rot" after 20-40 years.

Well we can eliminate ground water as a cause.

What kind of siding is that? It looks like you have water coming down a wall and entering the interior. Maybe the vapor barrier (behind the siding) has failed and it is allowing water to enter the dwelling.

Start with caulking the windows on the outside. (The one on the wall and the one on the door).

If that doesn't do it then you might have to replace the vapor barrier which would involve removal and re-attachment of the siding.

It is not uncommon for a vapor barrier to "rot" after 20-40 years.
Thank you. It is a wood siding. We had heavy rains in past 3 weeks but never saw water leaking through the walls. Yesterday was the first time (we just moved in 3 weeks ago). I hope it is as simple as re-caulking.

Coincidentally, I just received a call from my brother to check in on his house (Seattle Beacon Hill) to assess the pooling of water around the house. Seattle has received quite a bit of rainfall the past several days and the landscape and various infrastructure designs appear to have been exceeded. But the OP's situation is still important to resolve, nonetheless, this being Seattle, after all and it does tend to rain a little

Back