Water level in toilet bowl when tank already fills very high

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I have a few toilets that have a low water level in the bowl. My understanding is this is adjusted by changing the level in the tank (in turn adjusted by changing the float position), but in at least one of the toilets the tank level is already at the maximum. Suggestions?

First suggestion is for you to post pictures of the tank internals .... need to determine what era toilet you are working with.
Toilets within the last forty years have a supply tube that goes from the top of supply fill valve over to the overflow tube to backfill the bowl.
Older units do not.

I have a few toilets that have a low water level in the bowl. My understanding is this is adjusted by changing the level in the tank (in turn adjusted by changing the float position), but in at least one of the toilets the tank level is already at the maximum. Suggestions?

That's only partially true and depends upon the make of the WC.

A side view of a WC revels that the trap, is an S laying on its side and when the water in the bowl is higher than the high position of the trap, the water drains, to an equal level.

You may also want to check out plumbingforums.com as they have threads on low water in bowl. I'm too tired to contribute much else to the conversation on this front, but I was having the same problem with one of my toilets. I think there was some sort of leak or the wax seal was broken or something.

My personal experience with a circa 1980 toilet ( 3.5 gallon variety )....... sometimes the flush will net a "normal" residual level in the bowl ..... and sometimes the level is lower than the norm .... and I can only guess the variance is in the "contents" of the flush and a possible siphon effect that takes more water from the bowl.
Never bothered us but if it did ..... I'd just throw in a couple glasses of water.

If you pour water into the bowl, does it go down to the original level?
Not water necessarily, but when, uh, liquid is added I observe that the level rises.

@SARG
That unpredictability is familiar too. I doubt the toilets are any older than the house (1978) and at least one of them seems a good bit newer than that.

Last edited:
Can you add an extension to the overflow tube allowing a higher tank level? A lower tube might even work better if a too high tube is creating like 1 1/4 flushes or something. Do all the tanks have the same height overflow tubes?

I noticed the new toilet I installed about 1980 doesn't leave as high a bowl level if flushed before the tank has completely refilled...

Back