Water level in toilet tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
Should the water be this high next to the over flow? It’s like right there

sometimes I here like a “dripping” sound coming from the toilet and my last quarters water bill went up by 160$

Attachments

• 929B32AA-B31A-410F-B270-E7D828A428C2.jpeg
    929B32AA-B31A-410F-B270-E7D828A428C2.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
I would lower the float and have it stop below the overflow. Just how much lower depends on how well it flushes. Some of the new water savers have two flush levers and the light one only uses half the tankful.

in fact the tank has printed on the back shown in your photo the water line recommended.

I have switched all mine over to Fluidmaster units years ago. They have a simple adjustment and work very well and when it comes time to change them I can change one in one minute.

In yours you have a float on an arm and there will be a screw near the end of the arm that pushes on the shutoff. You can adjust that screw and see if you can get it lower or do what most people do and bend the arm down.

So the water line should be there? And what screw do I adjust?

Attachments

• 76320F86-BB68-4A92-832E-82E26FA8D7BE.jpeg
    76320F86-BB68-4A92-832E-82E26FA8D7BE.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 5
photo wouldn’t attach

Attachments

• 5878AE59-BFE6-4BFF-872C-8A1F285433F1.jpeg
    5878AE59-BFE6-4BFF-872C-8A1F285433F1.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 8
The screws on top of the control arm move the arm up and down. Try screwing them in or out to adjust the level. Or be like me and break it while trying to adjust it and go buy a new one, they're fairly inexpensive.

The nut under the screw head is a stop nut, you need to loosen it, turn the screw clockwise, flushing, and when you are happy, tighten the nut back down.

Look on the printed wording on the backside of the tank. It shows the optimum water line. Adjust your float until the fill valve stops as close to that line as possible.

All of the above or go buy a Fluidmaster unit one for each toilet in the house and a couple spares for the shelf. They look like the attached photo and to adjust them you turn the knob at the top. At the bottom you see a white ring, when you pull up on that it lets you move the unit up and down in 1” increments or you can pull the whole unit out and stick a new one on the old base. This saves you from crawling behind and having water run on the floor leaks and all the rest plus it is quick to do and you don’t touch the plumbing.

I have all these at home and her mothers house and her grannys house and anyone else that calls me when their toilet is having problems. If it is a fill problem I turn off the water flush the toilet snap the old unit off and snap the new one on turn the water back on. Then I go have cookies or pie and coffee as payment. Fluidmaster.JPG

water level in a toilet tank should be 1 inch below overflow .

All of the above or go buy a Fluidmaster unit one for each toilet in the house and a couple spares for the shelf. They look like the attached photo and to adjust them you turn the knob at the top. At the bottom you see a white ring, when you pull up on that it lets you move the unit up and down in 1” increments or you can pull the whole unit out and stick a new one on the old base. This saves you from crawling behind and having water run on the floor leaks and all the rest plus it is quick to do and you don’t touch the plumbing.

I have all these at home and her mothers house and her grannys house and anyone else that calls me when their toilet is having problems. If it is a fill problem I turn off the water flush the toilet snap the old unit off and snap the new one on turn the water back on. Then I go have cookies or pie and coffee as payment. View attachment 25643
I agree with this 100%

Back