Water Oak - New Growth

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelsix

Reaction score
I have three large Water Oaks in my backyard that I had crowned and pruned about three years ago. Since having this done, the trees are covered in new growth of little branches (suckers?) and the canopy is fuller by multiples before having the work done.

Is this cause for concern? Was the work done correctly for this to be the result so soon after when the goal was to thin the canopy?

The trees are quite a nuisance and worried they are coming to end of life. They frequently drop large branches and the leaves and acorns are never ending! Worried the new growth could make them more prone to fall.

I live in zone 7b/8a (Atl area)

If they are 50 years or older it might be time to get rid of them. If they have several trunks there could be cause for them coming down. If the reach of the fall is to your home or power lines ect. That could be a worry.

What does the arborist that did the work have to say about the new growth?

Thanks. Is several trunks an issue because there is an increased likelihood of the tree splitting? Two are less than 15 feet from my home and one is about 50 feet on a negative sloped yard towards my house.

I have not contacted them. They took down another tree and did some damage to my fence so I doubt I would use them again.

I don’t know a lot about water oaks except they have a shorter life span grow fairly fast and make a mess and feed the deer and squirrels. Lack of early pruning and getting a single strong trunk is a huge problem around here for many of our hardwood trees. People used to think plant 4 trees together and see what grows. And they never cut the other 3 down.

If you are not attached to the trees and or they could cause damage I would take them down. I just had a huge pine 75’ tall taken out. It was planted 8’ from the house. The guy across the street today said he was about 10 when they planted it and his dad said they are planting that tree too close to the house. He is 60 now and when I had the crew in he thought dad was right.

Back