Water stained drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttinman23

Reaction score
My tenant claims he tried spraying "Killz" primer before painting the ceiling to cover up the water stain from a leak from the upstairs shower. I went over for other repairs and saw that the stain was still there. I was just wondering for all you experts here if you think this section of drywall is salvageable? It's about a 4x4 section. No pictures.:hide:

If it's flat and smooth and just stained my answer would be Yes. More Killz primer and paint should do the job. It is not a big deal to replace a half sheet but it is less work to repaint. If its droopy or the paper on the drywall is sagging replace it.

4x4 is a big area to have stained, lot's of water. Are you sure it is dry. If it wasn't dryed properly you nmay have mold growing. Replace it and be on the safe side.

4x4 is a big area to have stained, lot's of water. Are you sure it is dry. If it wasn't dryed properly you nmay have mold growing. Replace it and be on the safe side.

+1 Make sure the leak is fixed and replace the drywall.I have had better luck with the Zinzer 123 than the other.If your using the Kilz Latex?It sucks IMHO.

Back