Water trickle down walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryM

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of small trickles of water running down the wall in our hall in two places. One is directly below the upstairs hall window. There is an attached garage with a pitched tile roof on that side of the house. The other comes from the corner of the room above the front door.

There isn't a large amount of water, there are never any visible drips but it's enough to darken the paint and fine cracks are appearing. They do get noticeably darker after heavy rain, particularly the one under the window.

I don't really notice any condensation in the hall and neither of these are anywhere near the CH pipes so I'm guessing it's coming from outside. I'd appreciate any advice on what to check or even the best type of tradesperson to call- particularly for the one under the window as I don't know if it's a problem with the wall or the window.

I've attached pictures of both of the areas, any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180906_210019196.jpg
    IMG_20180906_210019196.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180906_205731067.jpg
    IMG_20180906_205731067.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 18
Welcome.
There is a good chance that the culprit could be roof flashings, so photos of those areas would be of assistance.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Here is a picture of the flashing outside the window in the area of the leak.

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_070459841.jpg
    IMG_20180821_070459841.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180821_070459841.jpg
    IMG_20180821_070459841.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks.
Something a bit more panoramic, if possible, would add some perspective.
The flashing is showing deterioration and minor separation.

Hi,

Sorry, never been much of a photographer.

Hope this is a bit more helpful.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_170237219.jpg
    IMG_20180915_170237219.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, that's better.
I would look by the corner of the window for any signs of separation, similar to that shown in the first photos, and either caulk or mastic those with a wet application roof cement.

A leak doesn't always show where it originates.

You can test your repairs by applying water to the area.

With that flashing there, it looks like it's been an ongoing problem. When you have done the caulking and tried everything else you may have to pull the door frame and see what is going on in there.

Thanks. Do you mean from the standpoint of checking if there's a leak from the door frame or to check for damage? To be honest this has probably been going on for a few years, these walls were wallpapered when we moved in and we only found this when we redecorated.

Thanks. Do you mean from the standpoint of checking if there's a leak from the door frame or to check for damage? To be honest this has probably been going on for a few years, these walls were wallpapered when we moved in and we only found this when we redecorated.
It could be a flashing and drainage issue above or around the door , what floor do you have just inside the door, with hard wood water usually causes damage you can see early.

I'm confused. In your original post you talked about a window and showed a picture of a window. Now is it a door that is leaking?

See the last sentence of the OP's 1st paragraph.

Back