Wax seal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
Had a plumber out a new wax seal on the toilet last night it rocked a bits so I stupidly tighten the bolts to far and one broke am I screwed? Is it going to leak on me?

Closet bolts have break-aways, which makes the use of a hacksaw, to cut the bolt to length, unnecessary. Which may be the case here.

If the remainder of the bolt is lower than the surface of the WC, then the only alternative is to call the plumber back, or, since replacing a wax ring, and most minor closet ring repairs are DIY, DIY.

Purchase the material at any HDWR vendor.

Very first project in my very first house was changing the wax ring on the toilet ( which had let me know it needed changing during our house warming party). It was an easy project which introduced me to the idea of DIY.

You can do this.

If the toilet rocked after his repair, the plumber screwed up the repair.
He should have shimmed under the loose edges of the bowl to prevent that.
So call him back to fix his mess.
Now, if you made things worse by cracking a plastic toilet flange by over-tightening, you will probably have to pay part of the repair bill.

#1, There's no such thing as a plastic closet bolt.
When I change a wax ring, I sit on the toilet to try and compress the ring as best I can, then snug up the nuts equally and cut off any access threads and leave the caps off.
A few days later come back and just snug them up again, then snap on the caps.
As mentioned this is a DIY 101 job not sure why you had to call in a plumber to do what should have been a $10.00 fix.

I don’t see any mentions above of a plastic closet bolt.

I agree with snugging the bolts up a little more, a few days later.

Better than breaking the china.

My bad your 100% correct, I miss read and saw bolt, and you said flange.

Well they admitted they left it incorrectly repaired and re did for free. Thank you guys for all the replies I love this forum.

I called because my9 month pregnant wife swore it was going to leak everywhereeven if the toilet didn’t flush. There was no reasoning no google search would satiate her hormonal mood right now so yeah. God help me

she doesn’t understand owning a home there will always be something broken or in need or replacing :(

Also guys why would the plumber have caulked around the bottom of the toilet?

That is sometimes done for appearance only.
Some people like that look.

Especially if the toilet has gaps here and there at the floor, it gives a more finished look.

I only do it if people insist, and I leave about five inches uncaulked, facing the back wall.

So that if the seal fails, water will leak out through that uncaulked area, to alert you to the leak.

I believe that is standard part of the job ?? I always caulk around the bottom, when I do one, makes mopping / sweeping cleaning easier in the future...?

That is sometimes done for appearance only.
Some people like that look.

Especially if the toilet has gaps here and there at the floor, it gives a more finished look.

I only do it if people insist, and I leave about five inches uncaulked, facing the back wall.

So that if the seal fails, water will leak out through that uncaulked area, to alert you to the leak.
Makes sense could I cut some of the caulk 8n the back to allow water to leak out? He caulkedcallmthevwsybaround

Yes, just use a box cutter, razor knife, or small sharp knife and make a slit in the caulk bead in two places, about five inches apart, at the rear of the bowl facing the back wall.

Then just tease out the unwanted caulk with a knife or a flat screwdriver or putty knife.

My toilets are on tile, grade level, on a concrete slab. I caulk around the entire bowl bottom. It also helps with rocking, breaking the wax seal, and causing another leak.

Latest posts

Back