We are saddened by the loss of one of our own...

Help Support House Repair Talk:

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tom, affectionately known here as "Oldognewtrick", passed away suddenly at his home in Nashville, TN, on May 11th. 2022. He was a roofer by trade, but enjoyed his semi-retirement by parking his trailer at local campsites, kayaking, fishing, hunting and everything outdoors. He was a long time volunteer here as my co-administrator, and he will certainly be missed. Please say a prayer for Tom and his family.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Very sad time indeed for all of us here that knew Tom. He was the first person that reached out and personally welcomed me to this community and later asked me to be a mod. We had many great conversations mostly surrounding our common hobbies and first anticipating retirement and then transitioning to retirement. Along with him always reminding me how much nicer the weather is in Nashville than Erie.

The Internet is a strange place and having friends you never meet in person nonetheless sometimes the friendships last and are stronger than the people you think you know in real life. The forum won’t be the same place without Oldog around.

Till we meet again.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
RIP Tom .... I hope he truly knew what friends he had here and what an impact he made on so many people and will continue to do from his sharing of his knowledge and thoughts.

Keith

SavvyCat

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear! He definitely had good advice and ideas. A true loss.

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
Reminds me of a cartoon of an empty funeral parlor and somebody saying none of his 200 internet friends showed up...
But we remember Tom Littrell...
Don't know if he's related but have a relative: Jim Litrell... probably about 77 now... moved from Ohio to Arizona and now in Texas...

ekrig

Reaction score
He will most certainly be missed... Even though I only ever knew him through the responses and messages that he posted here, I could tell that he was the kind of upstanding person that everyone can respect and admire. My sincere condolences to the family.

HandyOne

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I didn't know him much, but he was very good for the members here and a nice person to know. I feel sorry for his real life, and internet friends.

zannej

Reaction score
I'm just now seeing this. I was wondering why he wasn't posting. I hadn't expected to cry today. I have no words.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm just now seeing this. I was wondering why he wasn't posting. I hadn't expected to cry today. I have no words.
I know how you feel zannej. It became a habit for me to wake up later than I did before I retired fix my coffee and see what was new on the forum. I think Tom did much the same and at some point I would get a zinger asking me how much snow we had over night even if it was July, or some such thing.

I’m finding now that by the time I reached the computer he had already cleared the 5 or so spam bots trying to get membership here and answered a thread or two especially if there was a roofing question.

As long as the forum keeps going every time you look to an old thread Tom’s avatar is there as a reminder of how helpful he was.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We have a very small private forum, and had the luxury to BS with him daily. His hunting pics were great, he'd post pics of his canoe trips, and show us his manicured lawn. One member use to meet up with Tom for breakfast every couple of weeks. Yes, it hit us hard. We made numerous attempts to speak to his wife, but she never responded. We even left our emails on his obituary, but nobody reached out. Very unusual.

zannej

Reaction score
His wife might be too deep in the grieving process and trying to sort affairs. She might not know what to say.
I will always remember how kind he was and how he was always so supportive even if he didn't have the knowledge to offer advice, it was still nice to know he was there for moral support. My mother didn't go through any e-mail stuff of my father's when he died. She couldn't bring herself to do it-- plus she's not good with e-mail computer-y stuff. I wonder if that is the situation with Tom's widow.

Latest posts