We want to expand our driveway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
Currently we have one car driveway and we want to expand to two car driveway i.e. increase the width of existing driveway. Existing driveway is 4 inches deep and its holding great...with few cracks ...
We are adding 12x24 ...driveway...4 inch deep so approx. 8 cubic yard of concrete

First question is ...is it too much work and impossible if we use a mixer to make concrete at our site instead ordering from a company who send truck with that big drum ?

If it not that tough ...give us detailed instruction on how to mix it ....which brand we should prefer.....what ratio etc.

also, what should we use rebar or wire mesh or both?

we dont have a heavy vehicle ...4 inch depth would be good enough ?

Give us tips from your experience,
Thanks in advance.

Save your energy for the screeding and finishing .... Get a truck and do it right. Remember to lift the wire mesh as you pour the mix so it is suspended in the driveway (not flattened on the dirt.

All tools you need can be rented for the day. You REALLY want knee pads and 2x10 boards to reach over the pour.

Here is a great example of the work which needs to be done ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh8OMMTW-eo[/ame]

I would love to get a truck but they are not willing to take a risk because sewer line is going underneath and on other side existing driveway is there and they are worried about cracking it..only options left are mixer or line pump

I would pump 8 yards. You won't get a good continuous pour mixing by hand.

Also I am only calcing out about 4 yards with a 12 x 24 at four inches thick,

I poured 30 yards at my house a few years back. Used a seven sack mix, no rebar pumped and finished on a 100 degree day between 3.5-4" thick and have no cracks at all that are not in a control joint.

I drive my tractors that weigh about 8k on them and also park a 10k travel trailer with no issue.

I would pump 8 yards. You won't get a good continuous pour mixing by hand.

Also I am only calcing out about 4 yards with a 12 x 24 at four inches thick,

yeah my mistake length is about 50 feet ...so we need about 8 yards

I wouldn't be concerned with damage to sewer lines. These trucks drive over them all the time without damage. You'll have to sign a damage waver if they drive onto your existing driveway. Frankly, you could wheelbarrow it in from the truck if it makes more sense.
Some concrete companies also have smaller trucks and loads that may work better for you.

I had a friend that poured a driveway about that size and insisted in mixing it all himself. It turned out fine but took a ridicules amount of time. I went over a couple nights to help after work and the project went on most of the summer. I forget the size but he formed it off in small pads doing one at a time and moved forms. I would never put myself thru that for the savings.

Look into a pump or a power buggy or get a half a dozen guys and wheelbarrows.
Can they back the truck part way in and get some of it.

Start calling around at rental places and see what you can find.

This might be a DIY project where you build your forms lay your wire etc all the prep work and get someone to pour and finish it. That’s what I would do in your case.

Back