weathered or chemically reacted door finish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Hi, The pics show a front door. It will catch rain/snow lower down. Its about 20-25 feet from a somewhat busy street, passing at 30mph (speed limit). Good mix of light trucks, vans etc.. Salted/sanded in snow. By Spring there's a nice coating of gray dust on the porch.

The door was stripped and refinished about 5 years ago. I don't know what the finish is. Very shiny. In the first year or two I saw goobers/boogers of some sort: in the panel's crotches/angles of the door. Like something oozed(?) or ran. The boogers were not rock hard but not tacky either. More like dried but not cured, clear glue. The bottom pic kind of shows some tan stuff in the cracks.

The upper part of the door is still hi-gloss. The lower has much greater gray/dull/reaction. I rather buff it up to bring back a shine. Barring that I was thinking of Spar marine as de-gloss and recoat. Can anyone here can suggest a better/more durable solution? I'm open to anything.IMG_2041b.JPGIMG_2041c.JPGIMG_2041a.JPG thanks for your ideas!

Looks like ultraviolet damage. Does the door face South or West?

ahhh something I hadnt considered -- though it faces East, gets long angle unshaded sun only in the winter and Summer early mornings. the angle of reaction(?) in the finish always made me think of rain/snow. The door is in a corner of the covered porch with its jamb at the north wall

Latest posts

Back