Weatherproof Low Voltage transformer Hardwired

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by vistav, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1

vistav

vistav

vistav

This is really a product question I guess. I am having trouble locating something (which may not exist).

I would like to hardwire a small 12V Transformer on to an existing "switched but empty" receptacle box on the (unprotected) exterior of my house. Is there such a product that is weatherproof, can be hardwired to a switched receptacle, mounted to the exterior wall at the receptacle, and will transform 110v to 12v AC? Oh, it should have a built in timer too....

2. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Square Eye

Square Eye

Square Eye

yep.
    Check your local big box home improvement center for replacement low voltage outdoor lighting transformers.

3. Apr 25, 2008 #3

vistav

vistav

vistav

You think the local big box will have something that hardwires, n a weather proof manner, to a single gang box? All I have seen there is plug in models. I'll check again.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #4

kok328

kok328

kok328

Yes, what you are looking for is included in most non-solar powered lawn/garden lighting sets (timer and all).

5. Aug 5, 2009 #5

locknut

locknut

locknut

I have in the past found 12v transformers that would serve your purpose, but that's been a long while ago. You may find such in a full-blown electrical store. What I also have done from time to time is the mounting of a device in a steel or aluminum box which I sealed for weathertightness. I used gaskets, O-rings, sealing sprays, etc. to do so. I home-built an outdoor 12v power supply with an electric eye and relay which has been controlling garden lights for over 20 years without fail.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009