Well hell, is this mold?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
It's just some condensation from the tank that ran down the wall and formed some mildew. Clean with a 25% bleach/water solution, let sit for an hour, then wipe dry. If the drywall is firm it's fine.

Best news I have heard today!!

I will check the tank, but doubt there's any foam and doubt the tank is 1" away from the wall. Will follow up with an update after I've checked this out tonight.

I had a house with an old uninsulted tank, to close to the wall and I was fixing a mess just like that about 3 times a year, I couldn't aford a new toilet with one that was designed to fix the spacing so as it was a non bearing wall I went in and made that part of the wall a little thinner by about an inch to allow the air to go behind. Then a couple years later I got a grant to pay for a new low flush model then I paid the extra to get one that would move it away from the wall.

Loosen the bowl bolts and pull it out away from the wall.

Most toilets need rough in at 12 from finshed wall to center of flange, you can find some that work with only 10"

I would love to install one of those new chair height toilets, but afraid I will run into some issues. The previous home owner finished out the basement and installed the tile flooring in the bathroom. It appears he grouted around the toilet while in place. (Photo attached.) Guessing if I go and start to pull it up, it will be a bigger deal than I want to deal with. Grrr...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1436582135.379417.jpg

So he didn't remove the toilet when he tiled. The bowl will always come out in peices but then you would have to match the tile. I woulde be easy enough to chip the grout out around the toilet.

Some of the Kohler brand toilets have a wide base which would cover most of that unsightly grout.

Be carefull with mold, nothing to mess around with. We had black mold in my old apartment around a year ago, and now my roommate still has symptoms to this day. Always stuffed up. It's awful. Take precautions!

I would love to install one of those new chair height toilets, but afraid I will run into some issues. The previous home owner finished out the basement and installed the tile flooring in the bathroom. It appears he grouted around the toilet while in place. (Photo attached.) Guessing if I go and start to pull it up, it will be a bigger deal than I want to deal with. Grrr...
View attachment 9447

Typical workmanship these days, that tile setter should be removed from the gene pool.

A small floor or desk fan, placed aiming at the tank and set to low speed and always on will get you through the hot summer months when the tank sweats.
also creates a pleasant breeze when sitting on the throne ;)

Get a new larger base toilet and float it over the top of the tiles ensuring correctly set and properly silicon sealed. That way you can pull the toilet out if you need to but being a one piece sealed unit this may not be needed.

Latest posts

Back