well help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dartman

Reaction score
I have a new home with a well installed 2 years ago. The well is 504 feet down and I have a 5 hp pump motor whith 20 gpm. Recently I have been getting what I assume is air in the lines. The water comes out very cloudy with bubbles I can hear, if I pour a glass it will clear up in 30 -60 seconds. Also all faucets and toilets sputter when I first open them. Also under heavy usage I also loose pressure.

I had the well people out and they checked the tank presure and everything checked out.

I do have a sprinkler system, last year I ran all 11 stations every other day to establish my lawn, this year I rarely use it but after 2 stations I have no presure at all and the sprinklers stop.

My wife thought we might be picking up some gas and tried to light it but nothing happened.

I am at a loss for what to check and my wife is afraid to use the water any help would be appreciated

First off what is the level of the water in the well? 2nd possible leak in the line between pump and check valve. If water level is ok I would listen at the top of caseing when pump turns on to see if I heard a slug of air make the bend at the pitless adapter. If so I would check the O ring in the adapter plus connections on both sides of adapter, this would mean digging down on the outside to get to that one. I have seen these connections allow air into the line but not leak water.
Good Luck

thanks for some direction

per the health department my water is from sandstone at a depth of 581 to 700 feet. Static water level 240 ft below casing wich is 12 in above ground. Pumping level is 504ft at 30gpm after 1 hr

clay 0 to 92 ft
sand gravel fine sand 92 to 110ft
sand gravel 110 to 128ft
clay 128 to 137
shale 137-245
rock 245-581
sandstone 581-701

Ok so it sounds like a leak causing the air in the water. I would listen at the well when the pump turns on to see if you can hear the air in the pipes if not there then where it first comes into the house. You will probably have to wait a bit between cycles of the pump. Another thought do you have a water softener? My softener does this once in a while and when it gets bad enough I get a kit for the valve body and rebuild it.

Not sure about the volume problem but with that kind of head any sand at all getting into the pump would chew up the impeller so a flow rate check would need to be done, it could also be a split or hole in the pipe, if it was above the static water level this would be where the air is getting in.

I don't think you have any problems with check valves or pipe. I think your well is pulling down to the pump for whatever reason. Either something caved in or the well just stopped producing the 30 gpm it used to. In other words, your using more water than the well can provide. Your water level must be high enough to operate two zones of sprinklers before the level gets down to the pump. Then the pump gets a shot of air and can't produce any more water until the water level comes up beyond the pump.

I don't think you have any problems with check valves or pipe. I think your well is pulling down to the pump for whatever reason. Either something caved in or the well just stopped producing the 30 gpm it used to. In other words, your using more water than the well can provide. Your water level must be high enough to operate two zones of sprinklers before the level gets down to the pump. Then the pump gets a shot of air and can't produce any more water until the water level comes up beyond the pump.

That was my thoughts exactly...
Sounded like the well was running dry to me.

Back