Well Pressure Tank Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracker Jack

Reaction score
Good Morning, we just moved into a home that has well water. I do not know a lot about a well system. The home has a 32 gal pressure tank that is pretty old and was going to replace it with a 86 gallon from a big box store.

Do I need to be concerned that the actual well can fill up a larger pressure tank? Do I need to do anything with the well to accommodate a larger pressure tank?

Any tips from well owners would be great.

Thanks and have a great day!

It would be interesting to know why you think you need that big a tank.
There's nothing different you need to do when installing a larger tank, it's just going to take up a whole lot more room.
Check the pressure on the gauge before doing anything, so you will know what pressure the tank should be set at before installing it.
https://inspectapedia.com/water/Water-Tank-Bladder-Pressure-Adjustment.php

I was reading that a larger tank would cycle less on the well which would help with longevity. Also, the home was used as a vacation home and was only occupied by 2 people and we have 6 so the usage would be much more.

Thank you for the link.

Since you are trying to have the pump cycle less, even better results are obtained if (space permitting) you leave the old pressure tank in place and connected. Connect the new pressure tank directly to the water line, not to the first tank.

I have had a few homes with a well and a family living in it and never had nor needed a pressure tank that large. They were all it the 40 gallon range. You might also look into a constant pressure system like the cycle stop valve systems. They require a much smaller tank. That is what I will probably install at some point.

Back