"Wet Edge"

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon10

Reaction score
I'm constantly hearing from TV painters about the need to maintain a "wet edge" when painting a room. But don't you lose that wet edge with a one person crew cutting in? By the time I complete that task, the starting point and more has dried up and there is no more wet edge.

So how important is it, really?

In the corners, yes but it is not as obvious as on the wall elsewhere. I have been using a paint pad for cutting in and it really speeds the work .... unless you prfer a spray rig which ALWAYS has a wet edge. :D

I like paint pads too, but my technique is not consistent; seems that I will do OK on one or two swipes, but then on the third I'll load too much paint on the thing and it will ooze out on the trim or cabinet...

One thing you might try is to run your pad along the edge of the wall section you are going to roll, and then immediately switch to your roller, which will get you in pretty close to the corner, say to within 1/2" - 3/4" of the corner. The brush marks on the 1/2' in the corner usually won't stand out. Then you repeat the process at each edge of the wall.

Back