Wet towel damage in master bath???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonlee3

Reaction score
Hello to all you homeowners out there! Me and my wife are new first time home owners. Earlier today my wife was getting out of the shower and noticed that low on the wall under where she hangs her towel there is some cracking and peeling of the paint. My first thought and opinion was that moisture from her towels is causing the damage, but she argued that it should also be splitting and cracking up higher near the hook, which it isn't. The home was built in late 2018. The builder used a flat grey paint on the walls throughout, including the bathroom. Am I right in my opinion that it's damage from her towels or do you think it's something more? I have attached a picture of said damage so that you can help settle this. Also, what would be your recommendations on how to fix it and keep it from happening again? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20200728_122001.jpg
    20200728_122001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 19
Welcome.
The simple solution is to caulk with a polyseamseal or other non-silicone caulk and paint.

I like a panoramic view of areas of interest.

Is the glass panel sliding or a door.

There appears to be a triangle wall defining a recess, and a raised shelf.

Water will seek it's lowest point, and if the towel hook is relieved from the wall, moisture would have little affect on the wall.

Here are a few more pictures of the area in question.

Attachments

• 20200728_143626.jpg
    20200728_143626.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200728_143607.jpg
    20200728_143607.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 17
Looks like water intrusion to me. Is water getting in from the glass door hinges? Look at that baseboard. It has been expanded so much it split the seam. I would first remove the towel holder, caulk, texture and paint with an eggshell, not flat paint, because it does not absorb water as quickly.

I see this at least a dozen times a year.
Just about everything Havasu says except for the robe hook, unless the towel is dripping water down the wall. This is totally from water leaking from the shower. Caulk everything! Even at the floor/quarter round joint. And then look closely at where you didn't caulk. Repaint with a good semi-gloss if possible. It's slightly more moisture resistant than eggshell any MUCH More moisture resistant than flat.

Repaint with a good semi-gloss if possible. It's slightly more moisture resistant than eggshell any MUCH More moisture resistant than flat.
Even better for a bathroom!

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the towel. Water getting from the shower is more likely. See if sealing with do the trick but if you see mold anywhere, you have water getting behind the wall... and the problem is more severe; hopefully not.

It could also have been that the wall was not primed properly the first time. It wouldn't be the first time that builders and contractors skip steps to get it done quickly! After you sealed everything, I suggest priming before painting. And as others have said, don't use flat in a bathroom. Actually, in our house, we simply won't use flat paint anymore. If you don't mind the high sheen, go with semi-gloss, but I usually stick with satin for bathroom walls.

I use semi gloss on all woodwork in bathrooms. Walls can be satin or eggshell.

Looks typical of when "builder's flat", AKA cheap paint, is applied over unprimed drywall. It will absorb water like a sponge and discolor. In your place I'd prime that area with a stain suppressing primer then repaint the entire room with an eggshell in the color of your choice.

Latest posts

Back