What are some things I can do with that slab of masonry that came with the house?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

crispycabbages

Reaction score
It was sitting in the yard. Don't know much about it. Hoping I can get some ideas before I end up throwing/giving it away.

Measurements about 60 x 50 x 1 inches.

Thanks!

Attachments

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Lay it flat and put your garbage cans on it. :dunno:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Polish it (or tile it) and make a picnic table top.

joecaption

Reaction score
It's to thin to be of much good.
I'd set my generator on it, trash cans is also another good suggestion.

ajaynejr

Reaction score
Not a good tabletop. Could crack and collapse unexpectedly and spill all the food and drinks onto the ground.

Would make a table too heavy when combined with adequate structure underneath to prevent such spillage.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Why too heavy? I seldom move a picnic table.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I did not know 1" thick masonry tabletops were vulnerable to sudden cracking. Masonry bathroom vanity tops are typically that thickness, aren't they? Is the risk because it's outdoors and subject to changing temperature extremes?

If you built the support structure so it featured a (well-hidden) sheet of OSB or plywood glued right underneath the masonry, and then a sound wooden structure under that, then even a through-crack in the masonry wouldn't be catastrophic.

That said, another possible use is to artfully score it and then break or cut it into pieces and use the pieces as pavers to make a kind of stepping-stone path.

Ingres

Reaction score
Use it as a base for an outdoor fire pit or chiminea. If ashes blow onto it they won't ignite.

Latest posts