What are these dark stripes in the toilet bowl?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilyinrain

Reaction score
I used metal scrubber and tried to clean the toilet bowl wall this morning. After that, there appeared lots of dark stripes (grayish black) in the toilet bowl.

What are these dark stripes? How can I get rid of them?

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 10
check you toilet flapper if it is black and derogating,

Billshack, my toilet flapper is not black and not derogating. does it have something to do with the metal scrubber? or it is rust stain?

Spray straight vinegar on the stains, then press a few layers of toilet paper onto the wet porcelain, and then spritz a little more vinegar onto it.

Let it sit for a few hours, then scrub with a green scotchbrite scrubber.

If stains don’t budge, get the finest grade of automotive wet sanding paper, and buff off the stains with that, while damp.
Car parts stores and even big box stores carry it.
HD has it in the painting dept.

Hard to tell from your pic if the stains are just minerals draining out from the rim holes in the bowl, or if they are from long term mineral build up.

Also try pouring some toilet bowl cleaner down the overflow pipe of the flush valve (flapper).

And let it sit for a few hours before flushing it out.

Spray straight vinegar on the stains, then press a few layers of toilet paper onto the wet porcelain, and then spritz a little more vinegar onto it.

Let it sit for a few hours, then scrub with a green scotchbrite scrubber.

If stains don’t budge, get the finest grade of automotive wet sanding paper, and buff off the stains with that, while damp.
Car parts stores and even big box stores carry it.
HD has it in the painting dept.

Hard to tell from your pic if the stains are just minerals draining out from the rim holes in the bowl, or if they are from long term mineral build up.

Also try pouring some toilet bowl cleaner down the overflow pipe of the flush valve (flapper).

And let it sit for a few hours before flushing it out.

Big thank you for such a detailed instruction. Will try it out.

Never use a metal pot scrubbie on the toilet bowl.
It might seem to work, but it will take off the hard clear glaze which makes the bowl slippery.

Stains will then soak in permanently, and poop will stick to the bowl.

Try using a pumis stone. I use one on our toilets once in awhile and it cleans really well. It takes a lot of elbow grease though.

It is mineral deposits from the last few drops of flush water entering the bowl (via the rim holes). Then more mineral deposits occur as water evaporates at the water surface thus leaving the ring at the resting water level in the bowl.

Give it a coupl'a million years and you get stalagmites rising from those deposits.

I may try the Zep for calcium stains. I have tried acid but it wasn't a gel.

Latest posts

Back