What are these weeds/plants? How to get rid of them? Tired of spraying/digging.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagetrip

Reaction score
There are so hard to get rid of. I tried everything from spraying, having someone dig and pour new soil, weed barrier etc but they keep coming back. Last year I had someone remove 5 inches of top soil and replace with new soil, then install weed barrier, and put mulch on top. This year they started to sprout again from under the barrier. I am super frustrated. What are these and how to get rid of them? Below are Imgur links to pics.

This is how they look in early spring - Imgur Gallery
They eventually grow big and flower - Imgur Gallery
Everything was cleaned last fall and now they are sprouting again - Imgur Gallery
When I try to dig them out they have small onion sized bulbs. Some of them go pretty deep and there are ton of them - Imgur Gallery

Any help in getting rid of them is highly appreciated. I tried using Roundup and Compare N Save but none of them had any impact.
Thanks.

1.JPG2.JPG

PXL_20210528_201309304.jpg

PXL_20220129_214458840.jpgPXL_20220129_214332938.jpgPXL_20220129_214426846.jpg

do they ever flower? they look a bit like Daylilies or maybe Hosta?

what color are the flowers? are they on long stems?
Hmm just looked at photos of hosta, probably not those
Daylilies have a crown, not really a bulb like in your photos
My apologies, it's been many years since I planted bulbs :rolleyes::cool:

perhaps it's one of these: Muscari Grape Hyacinth Bulbs - Latifolium | Fall Flower Bulbs | Eden Brothers

https://www.brecks.com/product/Blue...gQHSAmRmtn44aj4eKY8k_13UxjYVApABoC1okQAvD_BwE
A lot of the flowers that grow from bulbs tend to spread and can become invasive (if you're lucky LOL I mean, most people want more of them when they plant them)

I'd look thru a bulb catalog online and see if you can find something that looks like what you've got

maybe you can find someone who would love to have them and is willing to come yank them up...?

worth a shot, right?

OH!! wait, alternatively, and probably a lot easier and quicker! call your local college's Cooperative extension, see if they have a gardening dept and ask what plants grown from bulbs are typical for your area, which become invasive and how to eradicate them. A lot of times you can send them a photo and they will tell you what it is

that's how I found out we have this horrible invasive vine here one the east coast that is terribly hard to get rid of

good luck!!

Back