what brands do you guys use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldslowchevy

Reaction score
just wondering what you guys(ladys this for you as well)use as far as brand power tools on your projects here is the list of my toold in my shop and truck and if i like the tool and if not why i dont
ridgid worm drive and skil saws love them!porter cable skil saw(30+years old model 315)thats my baby and a dewalt model dw357 skil saw i hate it is hard to handle(but i have small hands)and when i needed it most it let me down,i have the ridgid 3650 table saw and love it as well as an old delta bench top saw i also love as i got for $5 buck out a yard sale,i have the paslode frameing cordless nailer as well as the angled trim nailer love the saves alot of time on small jobs,black&deaker quantum 3/8 drill and 1/4 sheet sanders they were on sale at walmart 3-4 years ago for $10 bucks each now i wish i would have bought a few more of them,milwalkee hole shoter very very nice drill i also have the super sawzall and does just that and more and a portable band saw very very nice but i need to get a set of tires for it in a bad way:( but i just dont use it enough to ever seem to remember,oh yeah and there dry wall screw gun very nice i have 3 mitre sews all maikta form an old 8 1/4" red bodied home owners to the 10"sliding comp ther are many many others that i have but i would and maybe should lol write a book about them:eek:

What brands DON"T I use?

I actually own; Porter Cable/Delta, Milwaukee, Dewalt and Bosch for the power tools that I use every day. I have some Harbor Freight tools that I use in special applications. I have a Ryobi radial arm saw too.

I've had a ton of tools. Contracting assures you of a healthy roration of newer tools. Then there's the recent theft from my shop. A year ago, some @#$% got into my shop and took $3000.00 in power tools, mechanic's tools, compressor, chain saw, and paper work from the outfit I was working for at the time.

Over the next few months, I'll get some pictures of some of my tools and home made jigs.

gee some poeple have al the tools:rolleyes: ...................................... till someone takes them from you!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dewalt contractor table saw, 12" compound miter saw, Ridgid 12" compound miter, and Delta 10" compouind miter have all worked very well for us to date. I prefer the 12" compounds naturally over the 10" due to larger cut for bigger wood.

Makita brand skil saw, drywall guns, sanders belt and palm, right angle drill, 1/2" impact driver, 4" and 7" grinders have been going for years without incidence as well.

Paslode cordless framing and finish nailers have 7 yrs on them and guns still perform great with routine cleaning, now the batteries are starting go bad-the contacts on battery itself are getting worn out so now we have to install wood shims to keep the battery packs tight and gun working, keep meaning to buy new batteries when I'm out but always forget LOL!! might do that today in fact. Also have a Paslode positive placement nailer (hosed gun) that is specialized for joist hangers/hurricane ties, etc...anything bracket with a hole for nails, I bought the unit used yrs ago and it's still going strong.

Boschtich roofing and framing hosed guns have never ever gave me a bit of trouble, lightweight and long term work horses IMO. Had a Porter Cable framing gun yrs ago and it used different angle nails that were not very common back then so forced into selling it.

Bosch hammer drills, I've gone through 1 per yr for the past 2 yrs so when this one goes south I'll be going back to either Hilti or milwaukee. Just not stout enough IMO for tradesman.

Gave up on Dewalt cordless yrs ago, the tools themselves hold up very well to repeated droppings and abuse, but the battery packs have never made it past the 1 yr mark without either losing charge quickly or just sttraight up battery failure. The sawzalls that we have in yellow are still going strong, and hae basically formed the opinion anything yellow with a cord is fine....anything yellow that's cordless is over priced and overrated.

Tried some of the cheaper cordless drills/saws with no luck and as goofy as it sounds we've had great results with the newer Ryobi 18V+ tools. I've got 3 yrs on current battery packs and Ryboi was smart/nice enough to keep battery design the same and is now making all kinds of extra tools to use with these 18V battery packs so we've been buying up anything they come out with and so far I'm very pleased with the price to performance ratio, and most of all durability!!

Gave up on Craftsman tools as well, but that was 8-9yrs ago, I'm sure technology has getten them upto par, but after burning up 2 table saws a yr for 2 yrs I finally made the switch to the Dewalt table saw and hav'nt looked back. Craftsman imo makes great hand tools as far as wrenches but I stay away from anything they make with a battery or a cord:)

Back