What colour do I paint the exterior front door?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidwatson

Reaction score
Hello Friends,
My house has white vinyl siding with light Gray trim. I am replacing the roof with black shingles and repainting the louvred shutters black. I am going to sell my house and need help with what colour to paint the front door exterior partially hidden by a dark Gray security door. The neighbour's houses are painted brown-tan-white, Gray-blue-white and 2 houses white-off-white-red. I appreciate all ideas.

Thank & Regards

For some un godly reason, eggplant is popular around here, but paint it any color you like.:banana:

With a storm door in front or a security door the color of the front door won’t make the impact of curb appeal as a plain door would.

Everyone has different tastes and I hear a pop of color is a good thing. Me personally you have black and white with gray now so any color would work. Without seeing a photo it’s hard to picture what would work for me.

Welcome to the forum

Is this door exposed to direct sun?
If so every door manufacture warns to not paint the door a dark color.
I've seen red, black, and hunter green painted doors melt the window seals and foam inside and bubble the paint.

Is this door exposed to direct sun?
If so every door manufacture warns to not paint the door a dark color.
I've seen red, black, and hunter green painted doors melt the window seals and foam inside and bubble the paint.

I never knew that. You would think door materials would be designed to take at least as much heat as a dark finish in a sunny area. Also you would think paint manufactures would make their exterior dark bases capable of taking the heat of absorption from the sun.

Living here we don’t get enough sun to worry about it I guess.

this is especially true for: resin-rich wood (pine, most conifers for example)

But also a distinction is made between constructs that must maintain their dimensions, and those that must not.
I.e. Windows/doors can change dimensions in the heat and no longer fit right in their openings.

For shutters, fences, etc this is not as important.

When all else fails...paint it white. It's always acceptable and an easy color to cover if the new owners, or perspective owners, decide to repaint.

Paint it red! Front door will pop and attract.

I think red or yellow-- something that pops would look great! My personal favorite is red. I also have a neighbor who it sounds like has similar house colors to you, and they painted their door a sort of light robin egg blue. Hard to describe but like a lighter version of the Tiffany's jewelry store blue. It actually looks really pretty and unique-- looks great with green plants nearby.

Back