What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
Pretty sure I caught a cold my daughter brought home a week ago. My throat and sinuses are on fire, my nose is running, I'm tired and feel like crap. These symptoms progressed throughout the day but for the first several hours I was awake today I felt fine. I wish I had gotten a workout in then; now if I don't wake up feeling better tomorrow I might not be able to work out again until Monday.

I definitely need to feel better by this weekend, which is packed with fun plans.

zannej

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're sick, Flyover. Hope it clears up quickly. Sending virtual hugs your way.

Didn't get much done today other than poking around in the barn a bit. I'll have to do more poking and maybe get some pics tomorrow. But I have to go to the store and get more groceries and pick up mail.

UPS delivery guy dropped of a package earlier. His GPS was confusing him. I said that the gps doesn't track well in this area and explained we were not near Oberlin. He was shocked that the post office doesn't deliver out here and that we have to drive in to town during their business hours to get our mail.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I get robocalls every day on my cell, just let them go. I only answer calls from people I know, and when I expect a business to call, I program them in.

I took an "IQ test" online to see how dumb it was, and it turns out I'm a Genius at 123, which confirms the test is dumb. It's everything I hate like adding up numbers to see if they are even or odd or which words have the same letters. It's not... It should be called the "Not really important gauge of whether your brain is ticking at all."

So, I'm not in a coma because I passed their Junior High test.

Flyover

Reaction score
There are "official" IQ tests though I think they're usually administered synchronously by qualified researchers. Any you find online for free are "for entertainment purposes only". My twin brother and I took the real tests when we were in 2nd grade (researchers always are interested in twins). The scores are supposed to stay rather consistent over your lifetime, so if you score X when you're a kid you'll likely score within about 5 points of X any other time you take the test, even as an adult. My score let me know I'm smart (+ ~2std) but no genius (usually 3 or more std), which anybody could have told me after talking to me for ten minutes.

Felt like total crap when I woke up, but have been steadily feeling slightly better, especially after gargling some salt water. Was able to participate meaningfully on a work call by 9 am. Just for good measure though I'm going to lie down for a bit.

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
Pretty sure I caught a cold my daughter brought home a week ago. My throat and sinuses are on fire, my nose is running, I'm tired and feel like crap.
Had a weird tickle in my throat (an allergy?) that was making me cough for a couple nights that I was keeping an eye on to see if it got worse, but seems to be gone now...

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
the post office doesn't deliver out here and that we have to drive in to town during their business hours to get our mail.
Our mail has come just before noon for 41 years, but now comes 7 - 8 PM in evening... something going on in the snail mail business now...

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Our mail has come just before noon for 41 years, but now comes 7 - 8 PM in evening... something going on in the snail mail business now...
Probably like every other business, can't find help. Plenty of jobs, folks rather get unemployment than answer the alarm clock.

Flyover

Reaction score
With mail in particular, I've heard USPS is in dire straits financially. So it might not just be "can't find help", it might be "can't afford help".

billshack

Reaction score
Some times when i get a call from scammers I just want to play along and waste their time. like what did you say , please repeat that, what does that mean , and on and on . imitate an old lady that has Alzheimer's.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Mine is all over the place. There seems to be a new carrier every year, and they plan out their entire route how they like it, which I of course agree with, but when waiting for something certified or otherwise important, there is no "It will be here by 1 PM".

Spicoli43

Reaction score
As far as the USPS, if they didn't cut their prices for Amazon, other big retailers, and sellers from CHINA, maybe I would have an "Aw shucks tender" feeling for them or something, but I could care less about them. People getting constant deliveries of trinket stuff from Chinazon like it, but as a former seller, I remember them tripling their prices for people here.

Give massive deals to Dr. Evil, screw over all little companies.

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
As far as the USPS, if they didn't cut their prices for Amazon, other big retailers, and sellers from CHINA,
I don't think USPS even delivers that stuff any more, think it's some small nonunion outfits...
I stopped mailing packages when the postage started costing more than the price of what I was sending... now I just send money and tell people to buy it locally...
There's some glue that costs $10 locally or from TV ads, I ordered same brand from China for like $1.37 plus like 17 cents shipping! So I ordered two of them... got here in like 3 - 4 weeks... stuff comes much sooner if they have a cache of it somewhere in USA...

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
With mail in particular, I've heard USPS is in dire straits financially. So it might not just be "can't find help", it might be "can't afford help".
The Post Office Board of Directors was always where out of office politicians went to get paid for doing nothing... Hillary Clinton is on about 100 Boards of Directors that each pay her $50K annually...

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I have some Mr. Clean type (melamine) sponges coming from China now. They were $1.99 for 10 sponges about ⅒th the Mr, Clean price and prolly made in the same factory. They are reported to be the best material for padding DIY speaker enclosures.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I couldn't resist a pun. I hope they don't mess up Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms is one of my favorites. I am listening now on my DIY Bluetooth speakers (that the melamine sponges are for).

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I don't think USPS even delivers that stuff any more, think it's some small nonunion outfits...
I stopped mailing packages when the postage started costing more than the price of what I was sending... now I just send money and tell people to buy it locally...
Huh. Not here, it's about 50/50 whether a package is put in the mail lockbox or if UPS delivers it. UPS might contract the USPS to deliver small packages though. Everything large like Dog Food bags is Fed Ex.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I have some Mr. Clean type (melamine) sponges coming from China now. They were $1.99 for 10 sponges about ⅒th the Mr, Clean price and prolly made in the same factory. They are reported to be the best material for padding DIY speaker enclosures.
Padding like Dynamat?

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Huh. I remember way back in HS, people used Dynamat, but that was ridiculously priced. Every time I hear a car completely rattling, including the license plate, I just think "They think it sounds good".

Latest posts