I caught one on fire when I was 20. I heard the jet engine sound ran outside and the flames were 20’ above the chimney. I ran in the house and covered the opening with a table top and thank God it went out. The house I was renting and the next day after cleaning my pants out I saw the landlord who lived next door. Asked him if anyone ever used the fireplace. He said ya go ahead. I said any chance we can get it cleaned first. We are all glad you and family are ok. Fireplaces can get fixed. You will remember that like it was yesterday forever.