What did you do today?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Chris, Sep 29, 2015.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. May 1, 2018 #1741

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

well-known member Supporting Member

Been making the drawers for the computer desk , raking up all the leaves and mowing the yard with our new mower. we made about three passes with our old one before it decided to lock up.and pruning the rose bushes this winter was especially hard on them. fertilizing and debugging the yard.

zannej likes this.
  2. May 5, 2018 #1742

zannej

zannej

zannej

Flyover, no need to apologize on forgetting the pictures. I'd forgotten that I asked. But the explanation is good and you can still take pics of the finished project. :)
    I was thinking of doing about the same for the one I plan to make. Although, I want it to stay together so I plan to use some sort of strong adhesive. I got 4 bullseye plinth blocks and some fluted mdf door/window trim but I think the plinths are a tad wider than the trim. I wish I could have found wood trim instead of mdf, but they didn't have any available. I hope the router can still work on mdf without problems. I want to notch the back of the trim and the plinths. I'm even thinking of using some of that rope putty like stuff used to install window screens or something (not certain what it's used for but it looks like string) under the edge between the mdf and the mirror for a little cushioning. I'm trying to figure out if the width difference will be obvious and if it is, maybe I can find some sort of very thin quarter round trim to make up the difference. I've never built a project like this before so it will be interesting. I still have an old piece of my father's attempts to make a framed mirror that cracked when he was putting it together as a reminder down in the workshop (which is part of why I want a little bit of a buffer between glass and wood). He did make some of the framed mirrors successfully though-- and put them at the back wall of the hutch on his massive custom desk. Anyway, on mine I plan to put the mirror on plywood or luan and I'm thinking of having the trim notched to hang over the very edge of the plywood just a smidgen to hide the plywood edge. I'll have to find out if I have the right tools for that job. The last time I used a chisel for carving, I used the wrong kind and it did some weird funky grooves instead of being flat like I'd wanted (but my woodworking teacher thought it looked cool).

Tuffy, that reminds me that I need to get my lawn cut again. In some ways I'm regretting having given my riding mower away (but it was broken). Guy who has it now fixed it and made some $ mowing people's lawns. I still remember when we lived in Navy housing and I got too sick to mow the lawn. My father worked 60+ hours, my mother never did yardwork in her life, and my brother would quit after 2 minutes. The navy started sticking notes on our door threatening to have one of the lawn ninjas (navy didn't call them that, but they were called that bc they wore full face covering things like ninjas) mow our lawn at our expense. They even called once and my father said "Go ahead, I would gladly pay them to have my lawn mowed." Even when it didn't grow long, that grass was very thick and constantly choked up the lawnmowers and there was too much of a slope in some areas to safely use a riding mower-- plus we had nowhere to store one without it getting stolen or damaged by the neighbor's kids. yard wasn't large enough to have a shed & there were no fences allowed. But they never kept good on their threats. Just kept posting notes and my father would laugh. They posted notes on an empty house for months before I saw someone putting a note up and told them "No one lives there, they got med-vaced out 6 months ago." I probably told that story before. LOL.

3. May 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM #1743

zannej

zannej

zannej

It's been quiet here for awhile. Everyone doing ok?
    Haven't heard from Chris in awhile. Hope everything is going well for everyone.

4. May 19, 2018 at 9:03 PM #1744

Gary

Gary

Gary

I look in from time to time, but haven't taken the time to post much. This is my busy season, so it's nose to the grindstone around here.

zannej likes this.
  5. May 20, 2018 at 5:29 AM #1745

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

well-known member Supporting Member

Well I fell down a flight of stairs a week ago . no major damage just banged my right knee up pretty bad put me in an immobilizer for 6 days. couldn't do much to hard to bend over. The city inspecter red flagged us for having the paper lawn and leaf bags sitting in our driveway ready to be hauled of which we were doing when he red flagged us when he found this out he tore up the ticket. mowed the yard three times this past week and a half. that's about all that's been happing in my little world. Maybe:bow: next week will be better I hope.