What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of projects, I just got back from home depot
i needed some treated 2x4's
i saw the price at $4.42 each
then i saw treated landscape timbers at $3,37 each
I bought landscape timbers, and will rip them
prices are crazy

I don't know what it is with building materials but they must be made of gold now. 7/16 OSB used to be 6-7 bucks a sheet and now it is 19. It's only been a few years.

I don't know what it is with building materials but they must be made of gold now. 7/16 OSB used to be 6-7 bucks a sheet and now it is 19. It's only been a few years.
20 over here
I bought 8- 8' pieces of roof tin 33'' wide for $100.00
and i shopped for that price
the screws were 30 bucks !!!!!!

Speaking of projects, I just got back from home depot
i needed some treated 2x4's
i saw the price at $4.42 each
then i saw treated landscape timbers at $3,37 each
I bought landscape timbers, and will rip them
prices are crazy

I bought a truck load of the 3x5 landscape timbers a year ago as they were $1.50 on sale and looked nice. I ended up using them as rafters on my pergola covering the hot tub and as decorative post on my railings on the deck and a bunch of other fence posts and such. They seem pretty strong and are holding up well. I don’t know how straight they will stay if you rip them. I would leave them to size even if they will seem over kill in size.

I bought a truck load of the 3x5 landscape timbers a year ago as they were $1.50 on sale and looked nice. I ended up using them as rafters on my pergola covering the hot tub and as decorative post on my railings on the deck and a bunch of other fence posts and such. They seem pretty strong and are holding up well. I don’t know how straight they will stay if you rip them. I would leave them to size even if they will seem over kill in size.

Thanks for the advice, the longest will be 4'
I think they will be ok

cut 4 - 1x4s on a 45 degree angle, to make a frame
make the frame 1'' smaller than the mirrior
using your table saw, set it to rip a 1/2'' grove in all 4 pieces
so the mirror is inletted into the frame
Thanks! I was thinking of using plinth blocks for the corners because the vanity has a bullseye rosette look and the block would match that aesthetic. I was trying to find some fluted window trim as well, but couldn't find the right size. I suppose I could probably make my own. My father made some mirrors in the past, but he didn't make the groove large enough I think and some cracked when he tried to secure the frame. I think I need to bring my planer up to the house and plug it in with an extension cord and try to plane some of the boards I have down in the barn. When I try it at the workshop it flips the breaker.
Lumber/material prices have really inflated. I'm worried prices will go up even more, so I'm hoping for some good black friday sales or something where I can get my mother to come with me for the military discount.
I saw some landscaping timbers on sale that we almost bought last time we were there, but they were all pretty badly warped.
I took advantage of the post-Halloween sales. There were these plush animal head masks and I really wanted the black cat one, but it was $20. I went to the store yesterday and they were on sale for $4.99. I got the last one in the bin. Rest of them were all panda heads. I put it on and walked around trying to see if my pets would react. Cats did not care at all. Just rubbed against my legs. The chiweenie was jumping up on my leg and trying to figure out what was on my head and was wagging his tail. I had planned to go in to my brother's workplace with the mask and surprise him, but he'd gone home early because he was sick. Manager sent him home bc he couldn't stop throwing up. Having the cook throwing up very loudly in the bathrooms is not good for business.

So this morning, out in my neck of the woods (literally, in the woods-- in a wildlife management area where hunting and trespassing are not allowed) a guy (let's call him DS) shot and killed a woman. He claimed he "stumbled" and accidentally shot her. He was drunk and high on marijuana and meth. They are charging him with negligent homicide, hunting while impaired, and drug possession. Now, might not seem like a big deal, unless you rewind to 2010 when this guy went hunting with his friend RF who had allegedly been having an affair with DS's wife. RF went missing and his body was found in the woods sans hunting gear and they initially ruled it a suicide. Publicly that was the declaration although apparently they found out somehow that DS had shot him but he passed a polygraph (I'm guessing he claimed it was an accident) so they didn't charge him. One time is hinky. I remember driving by the crime scene where they found the first body. The District Attorney was out there grinning away like everything was fine. Now, maybe I watch too many crime shows, but I would think that if this was the 2nd incident, that maybe they should take a closer look at the first ones and consider that this might be a pattern and that neither death was accidental.

Last edited:
I didn't know polygraphs were legally admissible.
They are not admissible in court-- generally that is for when deception is indicated. The main problem with polygraphs is that they don't register lies-- they register stress/emotion and not everyone reacts the same way and also, the results are up to interpretation. Studies have shown that polygraphs are no more accurate than flipping a coin (although the "results" shown to Bush when he was in office were skewed-- claiming he "inconclusive" results as successes). There is a bias against minorities, bias against the innocent (more likely to say someone is being deceptive when telling the truth), and a subconscious confirmation bias. If the examiner goes in after being told who is suspected of having done something, they will almost always claim that person lied even when the person is telling the truth. Sociopaths and psychopaths can often pass polygraphs. The murderer/kidnapper in the Suzie Jaeger case initially passed a polygraph and was ruled out as a suspect early on in the case. They'd even dosed him with sodium pentathol and he still claimed he hadn't done it.

Sorry, polygraphs are a pet peeve of mine. My father had a co-worker who was accused of killing his wife. He told the cops she'd just abandoned him and taken off. He failed the polygraph and they indicted him. It hit the newspapers and his wife showed up to tell them she was alive and well, she just didn't want to be married to him anymore. And my father's supervisors always told him polygraphs were absolute garbage and to never agree to take one.

Meanwhile, the yard behind the barn and workshop is looking very good now. My friend thinks it will take just one more day of hauling stuff. Then he's going to help us on some cleanup in the house that my brother won't do and that I can't do because of my health problems.

Just returned from a quick trip to Havasu. Dead plants, broken sprinkler lines, mice in the garage, dead battery on one golf cart, dead battery on my truck and two dead batteries on the pontoon boat. Oh yeah my battery jump box was dead as well.

I have a stack of those battery tenders but don't use them. Best thing I did was move to a place where I can use my junk.

All my vehicles have battery tenders on them. The problem is there have been some reported fires if left on for months so I only plug them in when I am there.

All my vehicles have battery tenders on them. The problem is there have been some reported fires if left on for months so I only plug them in when I am there.

That was the same reason I didn't run mine. I heard if you put an inline fuse in the positive it will be fine.

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Trimmed baseboard and/or scraped away bit of wall that prevented fit.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard...

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard.
Cut baseboard.
Nailed baseboard.

Measured baseboard...

Hopefully 4 different pieces:hide:

Hopefully 4 different pieces:hide:
LOL! I don't know why, but that made me think of a time I was watching one of those programs where people come in from a TV show and renovate a home. Someone dropped an upper cabinet on the carpenter's head and afterward he kept measuring and cutting the wood wrong. After about the 4th time he got it wrong they said "Ok, you're going to the hospital NOW!" and took him away.
Save

Today my G/F's 2013 Kia Surrento had a dead battery. I should buy stock in a battery company.

I did my brother's chores-- picking up the trash, sweeping the floor, etc because I got fed up with tripping over trash. Still haven't finished because my back decided it couldn't take anymore lifting/bending. Been working on laundry as well. Got a bedspread washed just in time for my old cat accidentally peeing on the other bedspread (I mentioned before he has a hard time holding it in and can't move very fast-- I set up a puppy pad on the bed, but it got folded over so he peed on the plastic and it rolled off and got on the bedspread. Fortunately, I was able to wash it immediately. He goes in the litterbox whenever he can make it, but sometimes he just can't. At least he doesn't just pee on himself while lying down like the dog does. She's now refusing to eat her regular food and drink water. I think she misses my brother's dog. Past few days I've been going out and sitting on the porch and letting her lay her head in my lap.

Today my G/F's 2013 Kia Surrento had a dead battery. I should buy stock in a battery company.

Buy Ford Motorcraft batteries. I get them at Orielly and they are the only ones with a 10 year warranty. I run them in everything now. Most batteries have a 1 year warranty nowadays.

Back