What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole family's sick. If I can get one load of laundry done today I'll be lucky.

Speaking of projects, I just got back from home depot
i needed some treated 2x4's
i saw the price at $4.42 each
then i saw treated landscape timbers at $3,37 each
I bought landscape timbers, and will rip them
prices are crazy

I never thought of that GREAT idea how many 2x4s will you get out of 1 timber? I'm going to steal your idea.when ever I need a bunch 1x stock I usually buy a 1x12x12 and rip it down lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Flyover, I hope you and your family get well soon.

Tuffy and Frodo, please let me know how that works out-- ripping the 4x4s.

I put a fireplace in my shop yesterday. Chimneys are so simple they have me worried now.

Finally got the bathroom walls rolled. Now it's all brushwork, which is much easier to fit in around life.

I took my mother to her podiatrist's office for an appointment yesterday. There was very ill woman in the waiting room who was nauseous and kept moaning. I procured an alcohol swab from one of the nurses and gave it to the lady and told her to sniff it a little bit periodically to relieve the nausea. It worked and then she wanted to set me up with her 50-year-old son (who was sitting nearby rolling his eyes). Podiatrist said that the fungus cream I'm using seems to be working and the new nail growth coming out is free of fungus, but it will take a year for it to clear up.

I got sick from eating some soup at IHOP-- the tomato whatever the hell it is that is basically pure acid and I think it has green peppers--which I have an intolerance to. It didn't quite hit me until I was in HomeDepot later and I doubled over in pain and had to leave abruptly. My mother had me get her a chocolate shake at McDonalds and she felt very sick afterward. I was also sick around the same time, but she's still having the stomach issues and, while I still feel bleh, my stomach issues have mostly cleared up. She had the flu vaccine already so I wonder if it was the McDonalds.
I have to go pick up her syringes from the pharmacy later, but for now I'm serving as a bed for my kitty that has leukemia.

Been pricing out tig welding stuff. Pricing from 3 different spots in town and it's really strange all 3 have different individual pricing but they all total the same thing... seems fishy to me. #1 $150 for the Bottle, $40 for the gas. #2 $160 bottle, 30 gas #3 $155 bottle, and you guessed it $35 for the gas. Am I the only one that thinks that is weird? The other thing that really bugs me is they don't list any prices on their in store inventory. So you walk in see a few things you like but you have to go to the counter to price each thing. I don't like that but I'm to amiable to ask why. For example I'm looking at a new helmet find one I like take it to the counter ask how much... $498... after collecting my jaw off the floor I go back to the wall of helmets and think... which one of these isn't going to make me want to cry. Can't decided so I decide to go home and shop on amazon.... seems like local business is making it hard to spend with them. Anybody know why some companies are like this? There is a construction supply company in town like this too so it doesn't seem to be just welding supplies.
Thoughts?

Today Holly went in to town and called on the way home telling me chicken wings sounded good from the bowling ally. I said order them I will pick them up as I was just locking up the workshop for the day. Just as I was leaving for the wings she pulled in the driveway and said lets take her car it is warmed up. We go in the restaurant and the guy tells me $16.09 and I hand him a 20. Holly always trying to save a penny said wait I have the 9 cents and digs out a dime and tells him keep the change. So he takes the 20.10 and hands us the wings. LOL. She looked shocked and I said come on big spender our wings are getting cold.

She’s as mad as a wet hen. Lol. I normally tip them a buck or something on take out.

Other than that my little workshop is almost to the place I know where things are. Haven’t had that feeling in 5 years. Retirement is great for puttering around.

Holly keeps that up and your butt will be back to slapping the alarm clock every morning....🕔

I told her that in fact. Said hey we are on a fixed income now.

She is so frugal but her mom is tighter than two coats of paint. I cant wait to tell her the story. :p

Been pricing out tig welding stuff. Pricing from 3 different spots in town and it's really strange all 3 have different individual pricing but they all total the same thing... seems fishy to me. #1 $150 for the Bottle, $40 for the gas. #2 $160 bottle, 30 gas #3 $155 bottle, and you guessed it $35 for the gas. Am I the only one that thinks that is weird? The other thing that really bugs me is they don't list any prices on their in store inventory. So you walk in see a few things you like but you have to go to the counter to price each thing. I don't like that but I'm to amiable to ask why. For example I'm looking at a new helmet find one I like take it to the counter ask how much... $498... after collecting my jaw off the floor I go back to the wall of helmets and think... which one of these isn't going to make me want to cry. Can't decided so I decide to go home and shop on amazon.... seems like local business is making it hard to spend with them. Anybody know why some companies are like this? There is a construction supply company in town like this too so it doesn't seem to be just welding supplies.
Thoughts?
That is strange. But, not too uncommon. I've been in places that don't bother to put on price tags. I remember in Guam *nothing* had a price tag-- but that was for a specific reason. I still remember I picked something up and asked the price and they told me some rather high price. I put it down. Awhile later, a local Chamorro walked in and picked up the same item and asked the price. I overheard and it was half what they told me the price was. I mentioned it to someone else who'd been on the island awhile and they explained to me that they have 3 different prices. They charge the locals/Chamorros base price. They charge the haolis (white people) double, and the Japanese tourists were charged triple.
I wonder if you can just go to each place and get the things separately at the lowest prices... Or do they make you buy it all at once?

Thoughts?

We have wholesale parts and machinery stores that sell mostly to mines and mills and other small businesses. They will sell retail, wholesale with bigger discounts depending on the size of the customers.
It is irritating when the first question they ask is , do you have an account.
They sell mostly to perchance agents over the phone or by quote.
Often they are the only place to shop for the best quality stuff and prices are about the same as other stores but you can try to bargain with them too.

So, today my 14-year-old cat (who was fine last night) started acting strange-- drooling, puffing his tail in alarm, putting his left ear near the ground and being all twitchy and paranoid. Took him to the vet asap. It was the least experienced vet who saw him (others were busy in surgery). He gave him ear mite medicine, a shot of antibiotics, and a shot of steroids. During the exam, my cat started growling- which he very rarely does. I suggested the cat might need to stay overnight, but he said we should take him home. Halfway home he started yowling and then had a major seizure. I immediately turned around and had my brother call ahead to say we were bringing him back. They took him right away and checked him out and said they would keep him overnight so they could treat him if he had a seizure. Said they would try to get blood from him if he would calm down. I called back hours later to check up on him. Other vet had looked at him and said he's doing a bit better but it might be neurological and they will keep watching him. Said he was still growling at them and they were afraid to try to take blood in case he tried to fight and got stressed and triggered another seizure. I'm supposed to call back in the morning, but I'm also planning to go in to visit him. I really hope whatever it is can be cleared up with the right meds, I don't want to lose a 6th pet this year.
When I got home I noticed a strong odor of what smelled like pesticide in my yard-- and we don't use pesticides and don't even have any. So, I don't know if someone else is spraying stuff in my yard or what-- but if I find out someone is deliberately poisoning my yard, there will be hell to pay.

I picked up a frameless mirror and some bullseye rosettes and fluted trim to try to make a frame. I want it to double as a door to a medicine cabinet so I need to figure out how to put it together. I went with the 24x30 beveled edge mirror. I'm trying to decide if I should just route the backside if the trim about 1/2" in and put something behind the mirror to secure it to the trim or if I should cut a groove in to the side of the trim about 1/2" deep and wide enough to slide the mirror in to place (and then maybe add some sort of backing for extra support). Ultimately, I want to add hinges to attach it to a home-made medicine cabinet. Still need to get the wood for that, but my mother got hangry at the store so I didn't have time to look and had to take her to eat.

So, today my 14-year-old cat (who was fine last night) started acting strange-- drooling, puffing his tail in alarm, putting his left ear near the ground and being all twitchy and paranoid. Took him to the vet asap. It was the least experienced vet who saw him (others were busy in surgery). He gave him ear mite medicine, a shot of antibiotics, and a shot of steroids. During the exam, my cat started growling- which he very rarely does. I suggested the cat might need to stay overnight, but he said we should take him home. Halfway home he started yowling and then had a major seizure. I immediately turned around and had my brother call ahead to say we were bringing him back. They took him right away and checked him out and said they would keep him overnight so they could treat him if he had a seizure. Said they would try to get blood from him if he would calm down. I called back hours later to check up on him. Other vet had looked at him and said he's doing a bit better but it might be neurological and they will keep watching him. Said he was still growling at them and they were afraid to try to take blood in case he tried to fight and got stressed and triggered another seizure. I'm supposed to call back in the morning, but I'm also planning to go in to visit him. I really hope whatever it is can be cleared up with the right meds, I don't want to lose a 6th pet this year.
When I got home I noticed a strong odor of what smelled like pesticide in my yard-- and we don't use pesticides and don't even have any. So, I don't know if someone else is spraying stuff in my yard or what-- but if I find out someone is deliberately poisoning my yard, there will be hell to pay.

I picked up a frameless mirror and some bullseye rosettes and fluted trim to try to make a frame. I want it to double as a door to a medicine cabinet so I need to figure out how to put it together. I went with the 24x30 beveled edge mirror. I'm trying to decide if I should just route the backside if the trim about 1/2" in and put something behind the mirror to secure it to the trim or if I should cut a groove in to the side of the trim about 1/2" deep and wide enough to slide the mirror in to place (and then maybe add some sort of backing for extra support). Ultimately, I want to add hinges to attach it to a home-made medicine cabinet. Still need to get the wood for that, but my mother got hangry at the store so I didn't have time to look and had to take her to eat.
24x30 is going to be one heavy-*** door.

24x30 is going to be one heavy-*** door.
Yeah. I'm thinking of using a continuous (piano) hinge, but could just try to use 3 sturdy hinges. I want them to be hidden.

For the frame, I'm now thinking that maybe if I put together the bottom and sides with a groove cut for the mirror, I can slide the mirror in to place (using some sort of caulk or something inside to secure it, but still allow for expansion/contraction) and then put the top piece on and secure it. I'm still debating whether I need some sort of backerboard-- like cork or something to sit behind the mirror as a buffer/protective layer. The mirror I got is designed to be sturdy enough to hang without a frame though. If I do slide the mirror in to a groove, I'm trying to figure out how far from the front/back to place it. I'll need to measure the thickness of the trim I got.

Thoughts?

I usually don't buy much from stores that won't put a price on things, I'm not sure if they do it because they think you don't care or that you have done your research or what? I like to know what something costs before I go to the checkout and I'm not gonna ask 20 times what things cost.

So, as much of a Luddite as I am, I actually have something of an internet addiction problem. (Might be partly why I'm such a Luddite. Coping mechanism.)

Anyway, to make a long but funny story short I got banned from a kind of chatroom because I made too many jokes at the expense of furries and goth kids over the age of 14--neither of whom did I realize actually exist.

I'm not proud of having found my way to a chatroom, but I am proud of the jokes I made. I wish I could reproduce them for you decent people here (some of them were comedy gold) but I had half a shot of pretty darn good whiskey earlier and am feeling too tired to remember anything specific. (One thing I enjoy but definitely have no addiction problems with is brown liquor.)

So, as much of a Luddite as I am, I actually have something of an internet addiction problem. (Might be partly why I'm such a Luddite. Coping mechanism.)

Anyway, to make a long but funny story short I got banned from a kind of chatroom because I made too many jokes at the expense of furries and goth kids over the age of 14--neither of whom did I realize actually exist.

I'm not proud of having found my way to a chatroom, but I am proud of the jokes I made. I wish I could reproduce them for you decent people here (some of them were comedy gold) but I had half a shot of pretty darn good whiskey earlier and am feeling too tired to remember anything specific. (One thing I enjoy but definitely have no addiction problems with is brown liquor.)

Don't worry, I had whiskey last night too. But I didn't make fun of Furries and Goth kids. Or did I?:rofl:

The mirror I got is designed to not need a frame so it is fairly sturdy. So, I'm wondering if I should just put a frame on the edges or if I should use a plywood backer (I'm leaning toward the backer). I wonder if I could use luan. I got some side trim and bullseye plinths for the corners but the plinths are just a fraction wider than the trim (couldn't find any other trim close to the right size). I wonder if I can find a very small half-round trim that I can use for the difference or just lay it out and see if it looks bad to have the rosettes either sticking out more on the edges or sticking in a little bit more.

I can't remember if I mentioned, but the podiatrist said the fungus cream I've been applying to my mother's toes is working. The new nail growing out is fungus free-- but the cream has to be applied for a year. Been doing it for a few months now. I just have to keep at it.

My doctor said my bloodwork looked pretty good. My thyroid is within "normal" ranges but it's the "low side of normal" so he's going to increase the dosage and see if it helps with the fatigue.

My brother actually hung a curtain rod by himself-- drilled holes and screwed it in. The screws apparently stripped, but it looks pretty good for his first attempt. He called while I was driving our friend to U-pullit to get some parts from derelict vehicles and asked my friend if he knew where the drill bits were-- they are at his house though but I mentioned a toolkit in my bathroom and that the screwdriver bits were in my room. My friend said after he hung up "Why didn't he just wait for us to come back? We could have put it up really fast." LOL.

They were supposed to finish working on the trees but a stump punctured a tire so they had to stop. I bought a "new" used tire. It had to be the one that didn't have roadside hazard warranty that popped.

Speaking of tires, ordered some Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires for my truck. Hopefully the holiday won't delay the delivery too much.

Back