What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine you moved into a house and your front hall was a big mess with coats never being put away because people were too lazy to open the closet, pull out a hanger, and hang up their coat properly. Instead, coats wound up draped over the chair by the door, or thrown over the small table that leads out into the hallway, or sometimes just cast off onto the floor. Same with the wife's purse, which gets left here there or anywhere instead of hung up on the hook on the back of the closet door, because that hook is already occupied by like 6 other coats.

How long do you think you'd muddle through, grinning and bearing that situation? What if you already had a strip of quality coathooks that mount on the wall, just sitting in your garage waiting to be installed? How long would you let this go on for?

Apparently for me the answer to that question is 8 months. Today I finally put an end to it and installed those dang hooks on the wall above the shoe rack.

I wish I had a coat closet, big giant custom home and no dang closet. I have two nails in the wall where I am going to hang my coat rack once I build it but its only been a year, maybe I will build it next year?

For the fourth day in a row, I thought about painting the hand rail on a stairway. I kept putting it off because it was inconvenient and unsafe to not use the stairway in a 3 level split level home.

Fortunately we have 4 TVs so I can always see a football game without endangering someone.

Dick

Took antibiotics for something "that may evolve into pneumonia." And MucinexDM, OTC.
Thanks for asking. . .:p

thawed out a water line took 3 hours .tomorrow going to fix it so it wont freeze again :hide:

"Surprisingly, ice forming in a pipe does not typically cause a
break where the ice blockage occurs. It’s not the radial expan-
sion of ice against the wall of the pipe that causes the break.
Rather, following a complete ice blockage in a pipe, continued
freezing and expansion inside the pipe causes water pressure
to increase downstream -- between the ice blockage and a
closed faucet at the end. It’s this increase in water pressure that
leads to pipe failure. Usually the pipe bursts where little or no
ice has formed. Upstream from the ice blockage the water can
always retreat back towards its source, so there is no pressure
build-up to cause a break. "

Dunno' if this means the blockage is overstressing your icemaker valve.

Last edited:
Basically the same thing happened to us. went thru a week of low temps of between -12 to -18 every thing was fine then it warmed up to+6 came home from a doctors appointment and the bath tub and ice maker water dispenser were froze up. we have one of those faucets that if 1 water supply doesn't work the whole faucet doesn't so i had no idea if it the cold or hot was frozen .our water lines are in the ceiling so since i cant climb up there any more had to Waite until my son got off work to climb up there and uncover the water lines from about 2 feet of blown in insulation and take a hair dryer and go along each line.took him about 30 minutes turned out to be the cold line . as for the ice maker its in an out side wall behind the cabinets have no idea where its frozen turned the main valve to the line off and will have to wait until another day hopefully warmer and hopefully it doesn't burst.
Ugh! Those temperatures are horrible! I thought it getting down to 20 was bad! My brother-in-law introduced me to a phone app called "What the Forecast" which makes funny remarks about the weather in a certain area. Like "Bolfa! Bolfa deez nuts!" or "Balls! It's cold as balls!" You can adjust the profanity level of the messages so you can get major cussing or mild words.

After four interviews, a lot of positive feedback and "when not if" type language from the people interviewing me, I was expecting an exciting job offer this week. Instead today I found out they decided to pass on me, and they gave an explanation I don't really understand. They said they still really like me and I'm a top contender for the right project when it comes along (and I like them even more because they're obviously very picky about who they hire), but I'm still kinda bummed out.

Nothing lost since I still have my current job, I'm just not thrilled with it and I had already sort of mentally "moved on." Cleared out my desk before I left for Christmas break and everything, expecting to be putting in my 2 weeks around this time. Now I've gotta bring all that crap back and re-acclimate to the idea that I'll be working there at least a few more months.

Grr. Phooey.
That's a bummer. I hope they will call you back and that you won't have to wait months. At least you got positive feedback though.

Imagine you moved into a house and your front hall was a big mess with coats never being put away because people were too lazy to open the closet, pull out a hanger, and hang up their coat properly. Instead, coats wound up draped over the chair by the door, or thrown over the small table that leads out into the hallway, or sometimes just cast off onto the floor. Same with the wife's purse, which gets left here there or anywhere instead of hung up on the hook on the back of the closet door, because that hook is already occupied by like 6 other coats.

How long do you think you'd muddle through, grinning and bearing that situation? What if you already had a strip of quality coathooks that mount on the wall, just sitting in your garage waiting to be installed? How long would you let this go on for?

Apparently for me the answer to that question is 8 months. Today I finally put an end to it and installed those dang hooks on the wall above the shoe rack.
LOL. Sounds like my house bc the hall tree (I'll have to get a pic of it one day when it isn't so covered) is all covered. We have a large coat closet, but often times things get put in front of the door and we can't open it. People in my household are lazy so we leave things lying around.

Took antibiotics for something "that may evolve into pneumonia." And MucinexDM, OTC.
Thanks for asking. . .:p
Yikes! I hope the antibiotics work and that you'll recover quickly. All the cold/flu crap sucks.

I actually went out and got the flu shot this time and have only had a mild cold thus far. Almost went off on a Facebook friend who is an anti-vaxxer who was spreading a meme about the flu vaccine causing alzheimers. Rather than tell her she's a moron, I just linked the snopes article that said it was false.

I'm at my sister's house. Drive out here went ok. We got delayed in traffic near Dallas due to some road closure for some reason-- was about 2 hours where we traveled the distance of 20minutes worth of distance according to the original schedule. I'm having to share a queen sized bed with Mom and I'm against a wall so if she's in bed I have to work my way to the foot of the bed and squeeze out between a bunch of junk my sister has piled up. We keep inadvertently waking each other up at night. Someone farts and the other person laughs or comments, or she snores even with her CPAP, or I roll over to try to get more comfortable. She sleeps on her back but I'm a side sleeper and have to roll over bc my side gets sore after a few hours.

I've discovered that the only decent food at Cracker Barrel is the breakfast & that the biscuits here are better than the ones in Louisiana (ones in Louisiana were hard as rocks). Just went to Olive Garden and had a super-nice waitress who found out we were in a rush and made sure to bring everything very quickly, gave us to-go boxes and extra food and containers for our drinks and was just an excellent server. The other staff seem fond of her as well.

I tried Church's chicken for the first time and liked it. My sister is already back at work so we can't spend as much time with her so we're mostly sitting around using the internet and listening to my brother-in-law curse at his games. LOL.

I'm going to miss the high-speed low latency unlimited bandwidth internet when I go back.

Today was day two of digging my pond, its about 4,000 SF and should hold about 200,000 gallons of water.

Will you install a stationary dock for the kids (and me?)

Chris, that sounds awesome! A pond will be nice if you decide to get any ducks, geese, and/or pigs. Pigs love ponds.

I've been very verrrrrry slowly painting my master bathroom, which is the size of a closet but is taking longer than the Sistine Chapel. That's what happens when you fit it in around work and family I guess, and maybe when you blow a bunch of time on the internet too.

You might recall months ago I said I had finally finished rolling the walls. Tomorrow I should be able to put on the last layer of brushwork on them! (Or, in the corners/along the edges of them and around the outlets I guess.)

Feels like I got a lot done today, even though it was all normal everyday stuff like swapping out laundry loads, taking out the recycling, scanning some documents I'd been procrastinating on...plus I picked the kids up from their daycares and cooked and fed them dinner all by myself, AND the house was basically neat and tidy (even the dining room!) by the time my wife got home.

I've been very verrrrrry slowly painting my master bathroom, which is the size of a closet but is taking longer than the Sistine Chapel. That's what happens when you fit it in around work and family I guess, and maybe when you blow a bunch of time on the internet too.

You might recall months ago I said I had finally finished rolling the walls. Tomorrow I should be able to put on the last layer of brushwork on them! (Or, in the corners/along the edges of them and around the outlets I guess.)

Feels like I got a lot done today, even though it was all normal everyday stuff like swapping out laundry loads, taking out the recycling, scanning some documents I'd been procrastinating on...plus I picked the kids up from their daycares and cooked and fed them dinner all by myself, AND the house was basically neat and tidy (even the dining room!) by the time my wife got home.
Excellent! I'd love to see the finished paint job when you're done.
Wish I could say I did much. Having health issues so I was in bed in pain for a long time. Went to the store with my sister and started having bad back pain and got dizzy and then took a nap.
My brother reported that the cat back at home gave birth to one kitten (thus far) and it was starting to freeze to death bc she left it alone so he put it near the space heater where it could stay warm. I'm hoping it will still be alive when I get back home eventually. Hoping to leave Sunday or Monday. My sister was supposed to have Friday off from work (she gets every other Friday off) but she had meetings & ended up gone most of the day. She's having breakfast with her rude friend tomorrow morning so I'll probably end up just sitting in her house for most of the morning waiting for her to get back. Her friend doesn't like me (but she doesn't like many people and has zero social skills) so I wasn't invited to the breakfast.

Shoveling snow , 3 different times on the same day , total accumulation 14 inches .

@zannej, just picture a small bathroom the size of a closet, walls now painted some shade of white when they were previously gray. Maybe I'll share a picture once I get the shelves and mirror frame done, since those will be a different color. So, get ready to wait a year for that! Hah.

Installed a phone on the wall had to run the wire install the jack now i have the mess to clean up .And i really don't know why i did it we don't have home phone service just cell but the phone is one of those antique looking phones and living in an older home i thought it looked cool.:rofl:

Flyover, hopefully you can finish it soon. My mother started having a fit bc she didn't remember approving the idea of a tub in the guest bathroom. I explained that the tub unit was actually cheaper than the shower unit. I also explained that having a tub improves the value of the home (my aunt is a real estate agent so I asked her about that), and if the drain ever clogs, it will have higher sides to hold the water. She was saying "It will cost $10k to redo the bathroom!" and I said "That's if you hire a contractor. We have friends!" If there is anything I'm really not comfortable with, I will try to price it out and see if I can afford it. I'd like to spend under $5k but it might not be feasible. I will need to buy the materials. I wonder if I could find someone who could get the stuff tax free for me-- the AC guy offered to do that before (or at least get his contractor's discount). His aunt and uncle used to own the house. The good thing for the electrical is that the circuit box is right in the laundry area so it's not a long run and I saw how the current electrical is run (through studs).

Today, I went to breakfast with my sister and then went to Costco to get some more godiva chocolates. Found out they are available at amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCQBC97/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. Expensive there but soooo good.

I just heard my brother-in-law (who is watching a movie) shouting "Shoot him, you f***ing idiot! The one time a black guy *doesn't* shoot a white guy! Kill him, you moron! Shoot him in the head! Shoot him in the head!!" LOL.

He's actually been in a better mood today. I was cleaning the kitchen after I got back from breakfast and he thanked me. We discussed what a pita it is to clean white appliances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have mentioned that the AC guy, "Cotton", might have to do the ductwork for the vent fan-- or at least help with it-- so he can justify getting supplies for us as customers.

We grabbed some candy from See's candies. While we were in the store the clerk gave us a few sample candies to try. They are soooo good. I think Mom bought like 2lbs of candy.

I got my hair trimmed while my sister got to go shopping. Found out it's supposed to snow tomorrow (well, later today) so Mom wants to postpone our departure again. My sister made nachos with queso fresco, mixed shredded cheese, beans, and some kind of meat (I think beef) and it was delicious.

On one hand, I don't want to drive on icy roads, but on the other, I do want to get home soon. I love my sister, but I miss my own bed.

Latest posts

Back