What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, I think those things would have shown up in her blood results but Gary said the tests all come back "normal".

This morning really sucked. My old dog's urine cleared up-- it was almost completely clear which showed she was well-hydrated although she just couldn't seem to stop peeing. I kept her hydrated and had to frequently change puppy pads underneath her. At some point late last night/early this morning she got up and wandered in to the kitchen & fell down. She scraped one of her bed sores & opened it up wide & it was ugly. I carried her back to the hallway & put her on the puppy pads on her memory foam mat & made sure she wasn't on the side with the big wound. I petted her, brushed, her, fed her, and gave her water & pedialyte. She slept for awhile but this morning she got back up & wandered into the kitchen and fell in front of the fridge. I went out to help her & she wouldn't stop yelping. I had promised my mother I'd take her to the vet today so I woke my brother up to help me with her. I had my mother come out and say goodbye to the dog just in case. I went to turn the truck around and put a dog bed on the back seat (so it would be easier to get her in). I could hear her yelping while I was outside. I went back in & my brother was petting her but she wouldn't stop yelping. I put puppy pads on top of the dog bed & my brother wrapped her in a towel & carried her to the truck and set her on it. She got very still once she was on the bed & only tried to sit up once (when I had to come to a stop). She whined a little and was shivering, but for the most part she was quiet. I put the dog bed on the floor at the vet's office and my brother set her on it and we both petted her while we waited for the room to be ready. One of the vet assistants helped me carry the bed into the room to make it easier on her. The vet looked at her & said she was definitely done. I stayed with her & petted her while he gave her an injection to numb her and help her relax so she wouldn't feel anything or be in pain when he had to give the IV shot. She didn't make a sound. I don't know if she was aware of what was going on or if she could even see. She wasn't really responding much to anything once we got her in the truck. We left her body there so we wouldn't have to come back & try to dig a hole for her.
She could be a real pain at times but I'm going to miss her.
It can be tough. The last dog I had pass was almost 17. She laid down across my feet as usual one evening and died. My daughter had her cremated and her ashes put in a fancy wood box. She is to be buried with me.

Rusty, I'm sorry to hear about that, although it sounds like it was awhile back. Sounds like she went peacefully though. Yesterday the weather was miserable so I didn't go down to the workshop. Got the oil changed on the CR-V & made dinner. I slept a lot because I just felt exhausted again. Today was nicer weather but I woke up late-- cats had to wake me up to get me moving. The day was a blurr, but I went down to the workshop to check to see how the 2nd coat of paint looked on the door & it looks great. I then put painter's tape over the weather-stripping on the frame (although it's kind of sloppy). I did a little sanding but decided not to spray it with Killz just yet-- wasn't feeling it for some reason & wanted to do it when I wasn't having kidney stone pain. I hung the drop cloth over it and set the little table up near it and sprayed filler primer on the top of the table-- it's going to need multiple coats. I also did a little bit of touch-up paint on the door. A bug had landed on it in one spot when the paint was wet so I had to remove it an it pulled a tiny spot of paint away so I dabbed it.
I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. I have to wait 24 hours before sanding for the next coat of filler primer.

rndtblfiller1.jpg rndtblfillerwet1.jpg rndtblfillerwet2.jpg rndtblfillerwet3.jpg Went to the store to get hay for the cows-- they were very happy. Red cow was trying to get to it when it was still in the truck. Got mail, picked up antacids from Walmart (per Mom's request), got gas, went home & cooked for Mom. Then I went to the workshop to get some pictures, sand the round table, spray Killz primer over the mold on the door frame (didn't go so well bc the sprayer dripped like crazy all over my hand-- not sure if I just suck at using it or if there was some obstruction). Sanded the 1st coat of filler primer on the table and found that the sanding blunted and smoothed the nail point. Put a 2nd coat of filler primer on (now must wait another 24 hours). Flipped the door up on it's side to see how the 1st coat was looking on that side-- got some scratches and chips, paint marks were uneven and visible, and it got dust from one of the primers on it bc I should have flipped the cardboard over before laying the door on it. I'm going to flip the cardboard next time I'm down there when I go for the 2nd coat on the outside and I'll tape the cardboard down over the metal that scraped the side. At least the touch-up seems to have worked (no photos though).

I posted photos of the door stuff in my thread but didn't post the table pics.
1st coat dried: rndtblfiller1.jpg
2nd coat wet: rndtblfillerwet1.jpg rndtblfillerwet2.jpg rndtblfillerwet3.jpg

I almost didn't go down there today, but I've got the whole "less procrastination" thing going & have been pretty good about it thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though technically I did this last night. I replaced the kitchen faucet with one of those touch conductive ones and my primary reason for posting is to complain. Which I know nobody wants to hear but I'm using this as my method of getting it "off my chest" and out of my head. So here is my primary complaint. Why the hell hasn't anybody invented an easier way to install a faucet under the sink. I spent about 2o min wrenching myself so tightly around the garbage disposal that I think I'm going to need to take it to a movie and buy it dinner. When I realized it just wasn't going to be possible I gave in and took the disposal off.... and immediately plugged the drain line. As I'm sure some of you know that if you live in the country, with a septic tank, and the P trap is no longer preventing the aroma of your tank from filling the tiny confines of the space under your sink. Then you must block the drain! I'm not a particularly large person but I think cabinet makers have some cruel joke about how they make and under sink cabinet that I'm not in on. So it's cramped. It stinks, and I'm rubbing my arms, ribs, shoulders and face all over the plugged, but exposed sink drainage system and I only had too thoughts. #1 Never argue with a good plumber about how much he charges. #2 How do I convince my son to be #1.
After removing the disposal I was actually able to almost get comfortable with the lip of the cabinet jammed into my back. After much straining I got the locking nut to budge and eventually was able to work it to the point I could spin it with my hand. The threaded section is like 6" long... and after all the struggling of the above mentioned situation I now had to keep one arm jammed up in the air between the sink and wall while spinning the nut FOREVER. I finally got it off and then things smoothed out and were a little easier. The new sink had a smaller locking nut, but delta was nice enough to include a plastic nut "wrench" to get it on and tighten it down. I then connected the pluming lines. The battery operated touch sensor solenoid. Which by the way I think I'm going to look up the specs on and find a wall wart that I can rig into replacing the batteries with. Maybe if I do that I'll take some pictures to post here. Fittled with the remaining connections and reattached the stinky disposal, and started to clean up. NOW before any of you say it. I do know that they make those C style hand wrenches that should make this job significantly easier. Yes the next time I'm at Home Depot I'm sure I'll use that as and excuse to buy more tools, but the fact that a tool currently exists specifically for this problem just reinforces the fact that this is a major P.I.T.A. I'm sure most of you all also know that almost every sink has a different method of being secured down with different sized nuts, material of nuts, kinds of nuts (socket and thumb wings) and every imaginable number of pipes, accessories, and so on. So even if I do get a faucet wrench it's pretty likely that the next faucet I do this on... it won't work and I'll have to get a different one. And yes I will be doing it again even if it's not in my specific house. I'm literally the family handyman for 7 different family members and they all call me for everything. It's gotten to the point now where I just tell my friends no because my family has pretty much booked my weekends from now until I die.

I'm seriously considering getting a 3D Printer to try and prototype a bunch of different methods to make this easier. The first one that comes to mind is something like a zip tie system that you just have to poke the zip tie up from the bottom through the existing hole then pull up above the sink to tighten it down. Cover with an escutheon and move on. They do make stainless steel zip ties, but since you can 3D Print with Carbon fiber in it, it seems reasonable to think you might be able to make something like that that's strong enough to secure it. Then when you go to change it you just need a way to sever the "zip tie" from the top and it pulls right out. If any of you out there are engineers please get a hold of Delta and make some money off my idea. I'm just some schmuck that will probably die under a sink but somebody that can actually execute on this idea would be my hero. Lets face it. Since I've air my grievances with this process to you "dwellers of the interwebs". I'm going to move on to the next project and completely forget about this idea. Until I have to do it again.

So after all this suffering, frustration, and brain cell strain. My wife can now tap a "fleshy conductive" bit on the sink and it turns on like magic. Hurray!?!? Be nicer to your plumbers out their interwebs. They know what your sewage smells like.

Last edited:
@MrMiz

Thanks for the comic relief mid day. What makes your post extra amusing is knowing that almost all of us reading have had these same thoughts many times. If not this same procedure a dozen others similar my last being to unclog a P-trap on a pedestal sink I once installed and felt so cleaver how I tucked it all into almost no space in the back of the pedestal.

Here is where I find hope. For a few years I have been replacing toilet fills with a Fluidmaster brand product. I was in the store and my favorite sales guy an ex master plumber was there and we started talking. I told him how I liked the feature that let these units change height and he opened the box and said I bet you don’t know this? He snapped the little adjuster band and pulled the thing apart in two pieces. I said so what. He said you don’t have to take the base piece off once you have one on. The light came on and I thought OMG that’s so simple why didn’t I think of it. The toilet I was buying it for was her Granny and we went over and I told her I was going it to fix her toilet. Shut off the water flushed it ripped the top off shoved the new one on and turned on the water. Start to finish 2 minutes. I came walking out and Granny said well what part did you forget and I said all done. She now tell everyone she sees I’m the fastest plumber in the world.

Now here is the sad part they invent something great but don’t tell you what it is. I have a whole box of the lower parts now if I ever get a leaky one I’m all set.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you took 2 screws out of the top of the sink pulled the whole deal up on flex hoses and changed it out and dropped it back in.

MrMiz, that sounds like quite an ordeal. Someone on here (or maybe one of the related forums) posted a joke once:
Q: Why are sink cabinets off the ground and hard to get in to?
A: Because the cabinet maker caught the plumber with his wife!

I'm too fat to fit under some of the sinks in my house so my skinny friend helps me out. I usually provide an anti-fatigue mat for him to rest over.

The bit about needed to buy your garbage disposal dinner and a movie really cracked me up.

I've been there having to get under the sink to change out the disposal and it was a royal pita. Whoever designed the damn snap ring should face a firing squad. Trying to pry that thing open just enough without bending it to put it around while simultaneously holding stuff out of the way and holding the garbage disposal up really sucks.

Bud, do you have a picture of the part you're talking about that just snaps off? I'm trying to visualize and can't quite figure it out.

Speaking of toilets and innovations-- did you know a company called Toilet Master makes a jack specifically for toilets? Once you remove the nuts & caulk you put use the jack to lift it and move it out of the way. It comes with plastic tubes to go over the bolts to help you line it up when you go to put it back and it slowly lowers the toilet in place. It has some kind of rubber to protect the toilet from the arms/braces so it doesn't get scratched. It's pricey, but if it works it might be worth it for having to pull toilets or install toilets without worrying about dropping it.

@zannej

If this guy knew the trick he wouldn’t need the bucket or the sponge and could swap it with leaving water in the bottom of the tank.

Fluidmaster-PRO45-PRO-Series-Toilet-Fill-Valve.jpg

Ahhh! Thanks, bud! I'll have to see if mine has that. Thus far I've only taken apart the top part to clean and replace some of the parts. That would make things a lot easier. I'll have to let my friend know that next time he works on his toilet.

Took my cat to the vet yesterday because he got bitten on the leg by another cat and instead of just licking the two little punctures, he chewed his whole leg open. Had to get antibiotics but the vet said if she sews it back up he'll just chew it open again and it may not drain/heal properly so I'm supposed to flush it with water for 20 minutes a day (if he will let me do it). I'll need help for that though because this cat won't hold still. Funny thing was, I thought I was going to have a hard time getting him in his carrier. I washed the carrier out, put paper towels down in it, went to get a puppy pad from the bathroom, and when I came back the cat had climbed into the carrier on his own. It rained the rest of the day so I stayed in the house & cleaned the counters. Cooked dinner, etc. Late last night one of my cats chewed through the wires to my computer speakers so I was trying to find where the wires all went and pull out the power cord for it. I have a ton of power cords all jumbled up.

I was chatting with my unlucky friend and he was telling me he found out why his red truck needed a new motor-- one of his house guests stole the keys to the truck while he was at work & took it for joyrides & mudding & somehow blew the motor. My friend came home to find the guy cleaning the truck & thought he was just helping out but I'd been there when the guy got back with it and it was all muddy. He told me he'd been given permission to drive it-- dude didn't even have a driver's license. My friend was using his fiance's car (the one where they screwed him on the monthly payments so he had someone else take it) to get to work and didn't know the jerk was driving it. He traded the red truck for a green one that needed a $40 part to fix. He kept the key so no one else could drive it (because at that point he'd found out the guy had been driving their vehicles without his permission) so the jerk broke the driver side window to get in and hotwired it and ruined the steering column. The neighbor's kids shot the front passenger side window with a BB gun to add insult to it. So now the green truck is ruined & he's trying to get a replacement.

He saw a Dodge Dart from a dealer that has a suspiciously low price so I'm wondering if it's just the down payment or if there is something seriously wrong with it. He wishes he could get a Ridgeline and was joking about getting this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2417072805176528/
There was a really nice red one but it sold already.

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do today in terms of being productive. I want to get new speakers & I need to pick up my medicine from the pharmacy. My friend thinks he might be able to fix my old speakers, but I want to check out some new inexpensive ones just in case.

Busy busy forum lately, I haven't checked in for a bit. I have had an overly dramatic weekend here myself. I unfortunately pass out when I throw up and I have had a stomach virus. So I passed out on the potty and hit my head on the tub... twice in 2 hours.... so now I am the not so proud owner of 5 steri strips to the face :eek:.
I am going to attempt work this evening after calling off the past 2 days. Hoping for the best. I thought I told my children and mom that I was calling an ambulance and going to the ER (I felt like I was going to continue to pass out) but apparently I sent a couple of them pictures of my face, and no one words... so they thought that I was wondering around the neighborhood, confused and sick because of the blood all over the bathroom. I cant wait for nhi it to get warmer outside sonic can get busy doing something productive or just feeling the warm sunshine on my body! Hope everyone is having a good day!

Attachments

• 20200126_190558.jpg
    20200126_190558.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 6
Busy busy forum lately, I haven't checked in for a bit. I have had an overly dramatic weekend here myself. I unfortunately pass out when I throw up and I have had a stomach virus. So I passed out on the potty and hit my head on the tub... twice in 2 hours.... so now I am the not so proud owner of 5 steri strips to the face :eek:.
I am going to attempt work this evening after calling off the past 2 days. Hoping for the best. I thought I told my children and mom that I was calling an ambulance and going to the ER (I felt like I was going to continue to pass out) but apparently I sent a couple of them pictures of my face, and no one words... so they thought that I was wondering around the neighborhood, confused and sick because of the blood all over the bathroom. I cant wait for nhi it to get warmer outside sonic can get busy doing something productive or just feeling the warm sunshine on my body! Hope everyone is having a good day!
Ouch!!! Don't do that anymore...ok?

Yikes, Shan, that is awful! I hope it heals up quickly and that you get over the virus soon. Throwing up sucks, but throwing up and passing out is much worse. Seems to be the season for viruses.

My brother is still very sick. He's going to have to take extended leave while the doctors figure out what the problem is. He's no longer nauseous but he is getting an intermittent pain just below his left pectoral. It gets really sharp and hurts all the way through to his back. I'm worried it might be heart-related. I took him to the grocery store this morning and then took him and Mom to the doctor in the afternoon. He was a walk-in but she was scheduled for regular checkup. They confirmed that the X-ray the hospital did was absolutely useless and that he needs an MRI, but around here they won't do MRIs on patients who don't have insurance and his work decided to change insurance companies on him and he found out the day he had to go to the ER and hadn't received his new card. They will still do X-rays on uninsured patients just so they can charge them for something, even if an x-ray won't find jack crap.

Brought some dark chocolate candy for the doctor and he said it's his favorite kind of candy. I told him about them before and he went and found some so he was very happy. I gave some to the clerk as well-- she's really sweet.

I was going to replace my leaking water supply line for my toilet but the only supply line in stock was crushed. I might have to go to one of the big box stores to get one. My fluffy black cat just climbed on me and kicked my keyboard off my lap. I think he knows I'm not feeling well. He tends to get extra cuddly when I'm sick. I had a massive sinus headache while driving home and I feel a bit nauseous. The cat's purring helps though.

I got some cleaning done in the house-- as much as my back would tolerate. I'm hoping when the nausea passes that I can get more done.

I also got a bale of hay for my cows-- only one in stock- and I was convinced that if they were meat-eaters they would have devoured me when I was trying to set it up for them. LOL.

Our 2 y/o decided he'd spend the hours of 1am-3am last night screaming at the top of his lungs. It would have been 1am-1:15am but my wife decided to indulge his random and ever-changing demands instead of letting him wear himself out. (She forgets strategy over tactics sometimes.) So this morning he woke up about an hour late, which meant I had to drop him off at daycare instead of my wife doing it, which screwed up my whole morning routine. And he wasn't happy about this deviation from the routine either; he tantrumed basically from the time I took him out his crib to the time I walked him into daycare. He lost a lot of tears and a sock in the process. It's a wonder I was able to get him dressed! I hope his threes aren't as terrible as his twos have been.

Thanks for listening to me gripe.

Lost a sock too.... lol, I hope the rest of your week is flawless!

I am feeling better, I worked evening shift yesterday. Off till Saturday through Tuesday... then took 9 days off. I need a break

I hope your brother gets some answers and quickly Zannej!

All of the stories of kids acting up always give me JOMO (Joy of Missing Out). I do not have the right personality to deal with kids. I've grown even less patient with them as I've gotten older. Whenever I hear a baby or small child shriek, my very first thought is "Kill it with fire!" LOL. Sorry your kid is being such a pain, Flyover.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Shan. I hope you can get some good rest without being sick.

My brother has been aggravating me because he keeps moving stuff in the kitchen, knocking stuff on the floor & not picking it up, leaving cabinet drawers & doors open, turning the leaking toilet supply shutoff on full blast instead of off, leaving trash & dishes all over the couch and floor, and generally leaving messes for me to clean up. When he's working he still does some of that when he's home, but he doesn't cook as often on those days. He's been cooking a lot so he's been making more messes. I've asked him to put stuff back where he moved it from when he's done but he whines that it's too inconvenient for him even though I'm the one who usually does more cooking and he moves stuff in the way of where I need to put things. He moves the entire dish drying rack over because he can't be bothered to reach around it to plug in his pressure cooker.

Because he has been having the pain still, he refuses to do anything to help out or even clean up after himself. He knocked over the trash can and spilled it earlier and then left me to clean it all up. Other than cooking for himself, eating all the food (including food that's not for him), and making messes he's been doing nothing but playing video games online all day. He's also been lecturing me on how I need to clean up more when he won't lift a finger and wouldn't lift a finger to do his part even when he wasn't sick. Sorry, venting.

Went to the hardware store yesterday & they only had one toilet supply line in braided steel so I grabbed it-- turned out to be the Fluidmaster click seal, but this one wasn't crushed like the one in Walmart and it felt sturdier. The big yellow dog (I need to get a picture sometime) was there just inside the door. He took one look at me and rolled on his back for belly rubs. I spent a few minutes petting him and then went to dig through the various supply lines scattered around the shelf to find the toilet ones. Normally they have them organized but sometimes customers muck things all up and don't put things back. The owner came back from lunch & the dog started to go to him because he had food, but then veered off at the last second to come over to me to be petted. After that I swung by Tractor Supply to grab some hi fiber hay bales with molasses for the cows. 3 of them were on the lower shelf where I could get them. 4th one was way up high & there were no employees in sight. So I stood on the flatbed cart and started pulling on the bale (in a plastic bag) and got it to start coming forward. An employee finally appeared and rushed over to hold the cart still for me. She then apologized for it not being on the lower shelf, but I told her I grabbed all the ones on the lower shelf. There was a brief discussion of cattle feed but I decided my back wasn't up to lifting 50lb sacks. She offered to load them up for me, but I said I didn't have anyone to unload them when I got back. Went to Walmart and forgot the first thing on the shopping list because it was too small & I didn't have my reading glasses with me. Grabbed 2 garlic butter rotisserie chickens and headed home-- got halfway home and realized I forgot to stop at Subway (which Mom requested) and went back. Mom was asleep when I returned so I put her sandwich in the fridge and had a couple of the cookies I picked up from Subway. Got hit with a bad case of Montezuma's revenge and didn't make it all the way to the bathroom in time. Good thing I have wet wipes, lysol, and shop towels in the bathroom. I later made Mom some eggs for dinner and turned in early bc I felt crappy.
This morning I changed out the toilet supply line. My friend was the last one to mess with it and his hand is a lot stronger than mine so I couldn't get it loose with my hand. Had to use a wrench and ended up breaking off all of the plastic grip thingies. Had trouble removing the lower part because the shutoff knob was in the way. I'll need to get a shorter wrench in the future because the one I had kept hitting the wall and toilet trying to grab somewhere other than the shutoff & my fingers are not strong enough to tighten it properly. The "click seal" thing never actually clicked but I couldn't turn it any more with my hands and didn't want to mess it up by using a wrench-- but I used teflon tape (which people who bought that supply line recommended) so it hasn't leaked.
I was going to work on stuff in the workshop and cook stroganoff for dinner but I rolled my ankle from stepping on trash in my brother's room-- I think it was some sort of empty bottle- and popped the tendon back out (it's the one I tore the tendon on a couple years back) so I immediately wrapped it in a sports bandage, grabbed an ice pack and towel, and have been keeping it elevated with ice on it. It's already started to feel a little better. Hopefully it will heal faster this time around. I just realized I forgot to grab a bottle of water to bring to my room. I'll probably go get it after the ice pack melts a little more.

18F96729-5E10-4049-B2B7-AEBEAB69468D.jpeg 6118832A-FCFF-4F20-9577-E179D858E563.jpeg A49F6C4A-5283-4BCC-89A0-E22A69837B67.jpeg 1B0F9CE8-C0BF-440A-AA31-05E4B3C69B40.jpeg 74EA4073-272C-4641-B424-AD3987A53C0B.jpeg 63A18E42-21CF-41C2-AE31-CA6CD01066E9.jpeg 80FEB1BB-9349-454B-9E39-C0501A1E60D6.jpeg
Started working on redoing a bed room for my grandson who would rather stay with us than with his mom and new boyfriend. Had to rip down the ceiling it was just 3/8ths dry wall and really wavy. The walls looked liked they just thru the mud on and then painted, so I had to sand everything and then skim coat everything. I took pictures of the wall before I started and will post the pictures when I get some more time. Then in the middle of all of this the pressure relief valve on the water heater started leaking, so I had to replace it.
these are some of the pictures showing what I started with and what I have got done so far. Just need to sand the final skim coat.18F96729-5E10-4049-B2B7-AEBEAB69468D.jpeg Didn’t get a before picture of the ceiling.Up next prime and paint 6118832A-FCFF-4F20-9577-E179D858E563.jpegA49F6C4A-5283-4BCC-89A0-E22A69837B67.jpeg1B0F9CE8-C0BF-440A-AA31-05E4B3C69B40.jpeg74EA4073-272C-4641-B424-AD3987A53C0B.jpeg63A18E42-21CF-41C2-AE31-CA6CD01066E9.jpeg80FEB1BB-9349-454B-9E39-C0501A1E60D6.jpeg

It looks great so far, Tuffy. I hope your grandson appreciates it. The red & blue before were pretty but looked too dark. What color(s) do you plan to use in the final coat?

My ankle is not throbbing anymore and it no longer hurts to step on provided the ground is flat-- which is a problem in my mother's room because the dog drags blankets, towels, & clothes on to the floor to make nests. My back hasn't been cooperating enough to bend and pick it all up, but he keeps dragging stuff back when I do fix it. My stomach still isn't feeling great either, but not as bad as the night before. I'm hoping the ankle will mend quickly. I'm so glad I took that First Responder course in college to learn how to properly wrap bandages. I've had to bandage my own ankles quite a bit. I have bandaged my brother's ankles & my mother's knees before too.

Has anyone heard from Gary? I've been thinking about him & his wife and hope they are both OK.

20200121_222707.jpg 20200130_205207.jpg 20200123_194359.jpg I've been reorganizing the kitchen and this weird room in the garage I call the office.
I will attatch before and afters.
I'm feeling tons better than last weekend for sure!
Been working hard at reorganizing..... keeping busy helps you not think about your problems, I have found. Lol

I also destroyed a bookcase on accident trying to put it in one side of my closet.... so I used the sides to sort of build a bookcase in it till it gets warmer.

Back