What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Rusty: I hear ya. I gave up drinking at home for nine months in support of (and kind of by the request of) my wife, for reasons you can figure out. And now that bars are all closed and I can't go hang out with my friends, that basically means no drinking at all.

So instead, I decided this lockdown is a good time to pick up new hobbies, or pick old ones back up as the case may be. I got back into playing correspondence chess online. It's perfect because I can check in now and then throughout the day, spend only a few minutes each time, and I have several chess games going at once. I'm sure they have this for lots of other games too.
I got put on heart meds a few weeks back. Doctor says no alcohol with it. I never drank much anyway. But when you can't have a beer, you want one. Wanted to go back to working in my woodshop. But can't go sell anything and can't afford to build it, if I can't sell it.

Flyover, thanks for the advice. There's no way to tell that the door is locked from taking a photo, but my brother has me & two other people who were outside to attest that the door was locked & the guards inside could probably attest that we came to the door. One of them knows me by sight as he's seen me a few times taking people to the courthouse & during early voting (which is held at a building near the courthouse and that guy goes over to check on things).

Had a pleasant disagreement with a friend which ended with my suggestion that we agree to disagree & he said he loved us (my brother & I) & was going to agree to agree to disagree. LOL. Went better than another friend who got mad at a disagreement & blocked me. He's going to feel awkward when he calms down from his tantrum & we see each other in person again. Last time he got mad about something online he apologized in person.

I'm worried about my unlucky friend who just got laid off bc his company went belly up. He is getting unemployment, but he won't have health insurance anymore. I haven't broached that subject yet since I know he's already stressed out. I might bring it up tomorrow when I bring some tools & help him with his bathroom reno. He was only going to move the toilet over this week, but he decided he might as well put the new tub & shower surround in tomorrow. I will have to see if I have the trim for the valve body because I think Mom forgot to order it. It's the same one I was planning to use in my bathroom, so I need to get off my butt and go check to see if it's in the pile of stuff in my tub. He can order a better showerhead later & re-use the existing one he's got for now.

Hopefully the hardware store will still be open & have the materials he needs-- gonna need some cementboard, 2x4s, moisture barrier, mortar mix, pex crimp rings, pex, pvc pipes & fittings, maybe a fernco fitting to go to the cast iron, paint...

Finally got the floor done.Had to remove the old floor drain and patch where it was. Don’t be to hard on me I know it’s not perfect but after 3 days on my hands and knees it’s good enough. Now to clean the walls and put the trim on I’m done.1B30858A-DE85-47AA-A423-C768250DAC3E.jpeg0746ED50-4957-4882-AA96-613522AF89CC.jpegDF5689D2-26C6-44A4-AFD4-1B8689B66879.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Started framing the stairs/shelves in the kids' closet yesterday. Today I hope to get the boards cut that will go on top to act as the steps.

Also, I improvised a facemask out of one of my wife's old bandanas. It was my first time going out and wearing one. Now this thing finally feels real.

Tuffy, the floor looks good!
Allergies have gotten to my eyes now. I've been using eye drops to help. My mother helped me put them in and made the mistake of touching my eyelids to hold them open and then touched her eyes & now hers are irritated so I must have some sort of eye infection. I've ordered some johnson's "no more tears" baby shampoo (eye doctor said putting some of that on eyelids helps). The eye drops are helping. Allergy meds have kept the nose dripping at bay. I'm still tired, but feeling better.
I've ordered some stuff that I plan to pick up later in the week at the store. I'm still waiting on other items to be shipped.

I fixed the leveler on my sliding patio door. I did not know that there were adjusting screws at the bottom. door now is plumb and square to frame.

Kids' closet remodel project:

Got the stair/shelf planks cut yesterday and installed them today, along with a handrail and some reinforcement cleats, and all before my little one's afternoon nap! Tomorrow I'll reposition the closet rod and install the second one, maybe get a jump on some additional shelves, then I'll sand and paint everything hopefully before Saturday.

Kids' closet remodel project:

Got the stair/shelf planks cut yesterday and installed them today, along with a handrail and some reinforcement cleats, and all before my little one's afternoon nap! Tomorrow I'll reposition the closet rod and install the second one, maybe get a jump on some additional shelves, then I'll sand and paint everything hopefully before Saturday.
And no pics?

I realized that my mother couldn't "catch" allergies from touching my eyes and then remembered that I got sprayed in the face a bit while cleaning the toilet. Some micro-particles must have gotten into my eyes. Ugh. Wearing goggles next time I clean it. I got some Johnson's "no more tears" baby shampoo (doctor recommended that to kill eye infections). Wiped it on my eyelids & lashes & my eyes already feel better.

My brother is no longer sick so I drove him to the store to pick up some stuff I pre-ordered. I went along in case they refused to let him pick it up. I stayed in the truck while he went in. I gave him a list (I forgot a couple of things though) and the credit card so he got everything that was available. No rotisserie chicken in stock at the time. He actually put most of the groceries away too. Grabbed some waffles and fruit for our friend who got laid off & is waiting on his food stamps and unemployment pay to arrive. My brother took it in. He also went in to the post office. They are passing mail over the counter again. Most people are no longer wearing masks. They have grown complacent and don't realize the virus can still spread. I'm pretty sure I have just a cold or allergies because if it was covid-19, my brother would have it.

@oldognewtrick:
Before: 0328201510-00.jpg
Old "closet guts" removed: 0403201512-00.jpg
Steps: 0406201556-00.jpg

I have another pic on my flip phone showing the banister railing I installed but I haven't uploaded it to my computer yet.

Only now, looking at these pictures, do I realize I need to teach my daughter the proper way to display the flag!0328201510-00.jpg0403201512-00.jpg0406201556-00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Repositioned one curtain rod and shelf before naptime, inbetween work and other tasks. Gotta install the other rod (i.e. a 1" thick dowel) and the remaining shelves.
0408201239-00.jpg

The photo makes everything look very wonky and crooked, but I assure you it's relatively square for one of my projects!0408201239-00.jpg

Looks good Flyover. My brother shocked me by emptying the two of the trash cans in the kitchen (there are 3) and putting a bag in 1 of them. He didn't know where the bags for the smaller can were so I handed him one. He seems to be in good spirits. I'm still feeling cruddy. He gave me some Mucinex & that helped. I woke up sneezing like crazy & took some benadryl. Got some mucus still tickling the back of my throat that doesn't want to come out. Ugh.

I cleaned the toilet again (this time with goggles on) & I'm about to go have some scrambled eggs & cheese.

Thanks Zannej. It turns out the scrap pieces of 1x6 I was going to use as cleats to hold each end of the dowel like to split in half whenever any kind of fastener is driven through them. So I have to redrill 1" holes in some scrap pieces of plywood and use that instead.

During my youngest's nap I did my kids' laundry and my eldest all of a sudden loves helping me, now that she can go up and down the "stairs" hanging up her clothes!

Flyover, I'm glad your daughter enjoys it. I always got excited when my dad built something new. He used to let me "help" by letting me hold the screwdriver & try to turn screws and stuff. I was more helpful handing him screws, nails, and tools though.

Which brings me to today. My friend decided since he's unemployed & depressed bc his bathroom sucks, he wanted help fixing it up & putting in the new tub & shower. I swapped out attachments, handed him tools, helped him line things up, and did my best to assist. There were a few troubleshooting issues that came up as well. I gave him some tips for shortcuts to make the job easier (like using the scrap wood to get the thickness of the board for marking). He's a smart guy, but his planning isn't great-- especially after the brain injury he suffered a few years back. Months ago I said to him that he was going to have to take the old shower out the back & he insisted he'd be able to get it out the bathroom door, through the bedroom, through the kitchen & out the front door. I reminded him that he'd brought it in through the back & I didn't think it would fit, but he dismissed it. So today he starts measuring & realized that the doorways were all too small for the shower to be taken out. Another friend wants to re-use the shower so he wasn't going to smash it up. He had to set it in the back room & will mess with trying to get it out of the house later. The whole back wall will have to be taken off in order to get it out now.

Plans changed a bit because the only good spot to put the toilet was right over a massive beam. If he put it to the right of the beam, it would fit, but the beam went so low he wouldn't be able to attach it to the rest of the plumbing. If he put it to the left, people on the toilet wold hit their knees on the shower. So, he ended up having to leave the toilet where it was & turn it to face a different direction. It's tight, but it works.
It's a good thing I picked a tub drain that is modular and can do direct drain bc the overflow was over a joist. Since we did direct drain, it didn't get in the way.

I had to head home to take medicine but my friend's fiance is sending me pictures & updates. I sent schematics & specs for things to help him find the right placement for stuff & gave suggestions for reinforcing stuff. I had to explain to him how to frame it out & how to hook up the plumbing & such. I also knew what parts were called so I could tell him what to ask for in the hardware store.

My brother bought us some fried chicken from a small business in town. They are only doing drive-through now & the employee was very happy to have customers.

I think tomorrow will be painting day. Whenever my friend needs something painted, he calls me. I will need to get cat food tomorrow as well. The cats were trying to spill condiments on me earlier & were giving me strange looks. :p

@zannej Hah, every time you describe how you're helping out your friends I think if I had just one friend like you within 50 miles I'd get all my projects done in a fraction of the time! Heck sometimes it's nice just to have someone there to make sure I don't screw up (or to blame when I do).

Everything in the closet is in place, now I'm spackling, sanding, and painting. I decided I make it more fun by drawing some tree silhouettes, which I'll fill in black.

started to lift weights again, I was gaining weight, i would walk every day but that is not enough.

It does help to have someone around to assist, even if they are just there for moral support. My Dad said he always liked having me there just so he wasn't alone, even if I couldn't help much. My friend feels the same way, he likes to have someone helping.

Billshack, I hope the weight-lifting helps. I used to do weightlifting for strength/stamina back in high school. Don't have the equipment now & I'm pretty weak. LOL.

Plans for today canceled bc I woke up feeling like absolute garbage. I've got the chills (no fever), was coughing up mucus but meds stopped that, stomach isn't agreeing with me, and I generally feel awful. Still need to get some stuff from the store so I'm sending my brother (who is still feeling better). I sent him the list of stuff in messenger including pictures.

My friend's fiance reported that she was able to take a bath last night in the new tub.
newtubinstalled1.jpg

Back