What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm feeling better now that meds kicked in and I ate something. One of my cats is curled up on me purring.
The new showerhead for my friend arrived & he sent me pics.
I sent my brother to the store with a list & my card to buy stuff & mom called him to ask for take-out food from one of the local small businesses.
kesshowerhead.jpg

Finished the kids' closet. I painted the stair treads and handrail pumpkin orange, both because it's a fun color and because it's easy to see. Might add more shelves later if I can fit them somewhere. I decided rather than paint a tree on the walls I'd buy a big vinyl sticker of one, so that's coming in about a week.

0412201957-00.jpg

Finished the kids' closet. I painted the stair treads and handrail pumpkin orange, both because it's a fun color and because it's easy to see. Might add more shelves later if I can fit them somewhere. I decided rather than paint a tree on the walls I'd buy a big vinyl sticker of one, so that's coming in about a week.

View attachment 23540
Nice!

Now, just admit it, that you're color choice is just expressing your inner Tennessee Vol Fanness.

At least we didn't injure any digits from a saw blade, but does carpal tunnel syndrome count as a work related injury?

I injured my back at work just sitting in a chair once! The chair had one of those motorized massage pads strapped on the backrest. I never turned it on, but I guess one of the massaging nubs or whatever they're called was stuck in a place where it dug into my back in just the right way. After one day of that I couldn't twist around or bend over for like two weeks.

BTW carpal tunnel syndrome can sometimes be considered a work-related injury in some circumstances. For example you can get it from powerful vibrating equipment like jackhammers. A couple clicks on the internet got me to a page about it on OSHA''s website: Classification of carpal tunnel syndrome cases. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

BTW carpal tunnel syndrome can sometimes be considered a work-related injury in some circumstances. For example you can get it from powerful vibrating equipment like jackhammers. A couple clicks on the internet got me to a page about it on OSHA''s website: Classification of carpal tunnel syndrome cases. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration
It doesn’t have to be high impact like a jackhammer. Almost all of our painters had it after 20+ years of pulling the lever on a spray gun. Repetitive motion is all it takes. A jackhammer will just get you there a lot quicker.

I have a friend in her 20s who got carpal tunnel from using a keyboard and mouse at work.

I drove my friend & his fiance to Lake Charles for some medical appointment to get ultrasounds of their fetus. It's about 13 oz now & has a freaky alien looking face. My friend & I waited in the car while she went in with a mask. We were about 45 minutes early because there wasn't much traffic (plus we left early anticipating more traffic), but they let her bump her appointment up so we were out of there before the appointment was scheduled. Then we all went to Home Depot to get some electrical stuff & a new tub stopper. We all wore our masks but most of the people in there weren't wearing any. There was a very helpful employee who knew exactly what aisle and bay certain things were on & helped us find stuff. My friend got some new flush-mount lights for his low ceiling & a new circuit box & some breakers. We grabbed McDonalds drive through on the way home, I dropped them off, & then went home to nap until now. I had grabbed some food for Mom so she didn't ask me to make dinner.

I almost didn't make the trip because I had a kidney stone trying to work it's way out as I was heading out the door. Took 10 minutes for the naproxyn to take the edge off of it & I chased it with some Ibuprofen when I got to my friend's house. Those first 10 minutes sucked though.

Planning on resting the next few days. My friend can get unemployment for 6 months before he has to get a job, so he said he's going to come over and help fix the place up once he gets stuff sorted at his place. I've been getting light-headed when I try to bend & pick stuff up. I really need to get more exercise though.

I drove my friend & his fiance to Lake Charles
Seems risky to place a pregnant woman in a closed space with any extra people. Why didn't your friend's fiance just drive herself? Or at the very least have her fiance drive her...

Sucks about people in Home Depot not wearing masks. I'd say 2 weeks ago most people here weren't wearing them, but now it looks like most people are. If I'm at the store I hold my breath or slowly exhale around the unmasked ones!

It's funny, back before I was wearing a mask I'd look at people in masks and think they were being paranoid. Now that I wear a mask I see the unmasked people and think they're being super reckless. Reminds me of George Carlin on driving: anyone going slower than him is an idiot, anyone going faster than him is a maniac!

Stay safe out there.

Neither one of them are confident driving in the Lake Charles area because it has complicated exits and usually has complicated traffic. The fiance is a new driver & they don't have a working vehicle that she's allowed to drive (they are borrowing my brother's truck & only my friend is allowed to drive it). My friend was afraid to drive the truck that far. We all wore masks while in the car together. Today I feel exhausted and dizzy so I'm taking it easy. Trying to see if I feel sturdy enough to cook something.

The Saga of the Bunk Beds:

I bought a really nice bunk bed for my kids. I paid maybe 1/4 retail cost because I bought the bed at auction (as usual). It came flat-packed in a bunch of boxes that had all already been opened. Usually when I do this everything is fine, but sometimes this means I'll be missing some pieces or some pieces will be broken or both. Usually that isn't a problem either: a few emails or phone calls with the manufacturer's customer support team and they send replacement parts.

When I finally got around to opening these boxes and rummaging through them I realized I was missing the instruction manual and the hardware. After a lot of painful back and forth via email with the company whose name is on the box, and a lot of pulling teeth, I eventually got them to send me the hardware, though they made me pay a hundred bucks for it. I found the manual on their website and printed it out.

When the hardware got here I looked at the manual, flipped open to the overview schematic, and started inventorying what I had. Turns out I was missing some pieces as well. This time the company would not even sell me the missing pieces, and they said a lot of contradictory things. Gradually they stopped answering my emails (and they never answered phone calls).

Meanwhile my garage is unusable because it's full of bunk bed parts, and my kids are sleeping on the floor.

I did eventually get the company to at least send me another schematic that indicated the dimensions of the bed, and from this I can reverse engineer the sizes of the missing pieces. Which I'll need to do because my only alternative now is to fabricate the parts myself. So that's my next woodworking project.

If you're thinking of doing business with a company called Bunk Bed King out of Arlington TX, my recommendation would be to think twice.

Flyover, sorry to hear that about the bunk bed company being unhelpful. I hope you can figure out the dimensions and get the bed built. I wonder if you can find another fully built one somewhere like in a showroom and do measurements...

I've still got a bit of a cold/allergy issue but it's lightening up. Eyes aren't as bad, nose isn't dripping as much. I've got a little tickling from mucus in the back of my throat/upper chest area but I've been taking Mucinex for that. It's not as bad today. My brother has some mucus that won't come out that he's been trying to clear. He's got a sore throat. I got him some Delsym DM cough syrup. Very strong aftertaste but it's tolerable for him if he drinks orange juice afterward. I did some cleaning and cooking again. I decided to saute the mushrooms before putting them in the stroganoff this time & it turned out better. The TV is having problems & mom was raging out over it. For some reason the TV will turn on and off, but none of the other controls work-- volume, change source, menu--- nothing works. I push the button and I see a dim red light flash at the receiver part of the TV to indicate it knows something is being sent, but it doesn't respond. Does the same with the Dish remote that is programmed to link to the TV. TV turns on and off, but won't do anything else. So now Mom's computer can't be accessed from the TV. No idea WTF the problem is. Might have to call Samsung & hope they don't want us to send it to them bc no way that's happening.

Still need to pack up Mom's monitor and send it back to Viewsonic for the RMA. Need to find a temporary solution for her to be able to use her computer until she gets the monitor replaced. She balked at the idea of a smaller temp monitor, but she refused to get a new desk which will allow for a larger one & it's hard to find one that will fit & be large enough for her. I think it's only about 21" or 22" wide space there. If she'd upgraded her desk she'd be able to go with a 27" or larger. Hell, she could get a TV with a good refresh rate instead & that would actually be cheaper than buying a large monitor.

My power went out yesterday around 3am & I kept calling every few hours to report the outage. Around 7am the power blinked back on for a few minutes & went out again. When I called back, there was no report of an outage as they thought it was fixed, but they didn't do the callback to confirm it was on. It started getting too hit in the house & there was no power to the well pump so no running water. I was able to get in touch with my friend who invited us over. Mom didn't want to go & didn't want us to go until I gave her some Mt Dew & a burger. Her room was the coolest in the house so she stayed home & napped while we went to see our friend. One of the people in his household was tested for Covid-19 & it was negative. We hung out for awhile discussing home improvement options. My brother got me food from McDonalds when I was too tired to drive. And we held the kittens. Some of them are starting to open their eyes now. My brother picked a black one we're naming Namir. He doesn't have his eyes opened yet, but he seems pretty mellow & loves to be petted. My brother was petting him & he rolled on his back for belly rubs. He was moving his little paws in the air and curling his feet while my brother was petting him. He's so tiny that a finger is all that is needed to rub his face & chin. It was adorable.
I'm waiting for my friend's unemployment check to land so we can go get upper cabinets. We're going to get tarps & I will paint them while they are down so I can get multiple angles before they go up. I had him put a level on the ceiling to find the lowest spot so we could measure down to know where the bottom of the wall cabinets will be. He wants to put a backsplash up on the wall behind, but that will come later. Once all of the cabinets are in place though, I will clean them up, do touch-ups, and when it's dry enough for final coat, I'll do a coat of polycrylic over all of it.
I'm waiting for the other friend to tell me when he's ready for painting at the other house so I can go over and help.

I posted pics of the bathroom progress in the thread about the friend's house burning on Easter. It's looking a lot better thus far, but still has aways to go.

Bunk Bed Saga (cont'd):

Bought lumber and had to mill down some 4x4 posts to make 2 5/8 bedposts. Borrowed my neighbor's table saw. It was my first time using a table saw and I still have all my fingers!

After about 3 hours of that in the hot sun I was beat, and started to feel like I would make mistakes so I quit. It was time to cook dinner at that point anyway.

I still have sawdust behind my ears.

Flyover, I hope the bunk bed project will continue to come along. Sounds like you did a lot of work on it. I went over to help paint at the burned house but I went over late since I was in zombie mode. Was up late because of kidney stones & was still tired. Stayed until it was just about dark. Was supposed to go back today but nobody else was up to it & I didn't wake up until 5pm (after an initial wakefulness around 6am).
Mom had misplaced the remote control yesterday evening and was very upset about it. We both looked all over for it. When I woke up this morning & wanted food, I decided to look again & realized she set the remote on her mouse pad under her desk next to her mouse. She'd set the mouse on top where the remote goes. I went and told her & she happily went to use the remote to switch over to use her computer on the TV screen.

@zannej, you're on that rock star sleep schedule.

The headboards are assembled, and they're the right size! I need to go to Menards and match the paint the color of the bed. Then I'll take the parts I made and (sand them, if my wife is looking, then) paint them and carefully drill holes so the manufactured pieces fit together with them correctly. After that I should be ready to assemble as normal, following the instructions. Ideally I'll have the thing done by this coming weekend.

Funny thing about flat-pack furniture. If I was building this bed myself from scratch I could make all kinds of adjustments as I go, but having to conform to exact specs, where a dowel hole has to be in just the right place or whatever -- and I don't own a drill press -- is pretty challenging, at least for someone as impatient and sloppy as me.

Glad to hear you got stuff the right size. Hope the drilling goes well too.
I've been a night owl my whole life. Even as a kid I would nap during the day after school & wake up at 2 or 3am and go for walks in the driveway. I tried to get my sleep schedule normal again, but every time I try, my mother (who is also a night owl) ends up waking me up.
Didn't get the chance to go back over to help the friends yet as the one who is working on the house had migraines & I've been battling my fatigue. I got more sleep last night, but still had odd hours. I went outside this morning & used some clippers to cut weeds & blackberry bushes that were encroaching on the porch & sidewalk. Then I unloaded dog food and cat food from the truck. I started sweating pretty quickly & got a little heat exhaustion. My left hand doesn't want to stop shaking whenever I pick something up or make a fist.
I'm waiting on my mother to get up so we can go with my friend to get his cabinets. She's going to sit in the truck and let me use her military ID for the discount, but the store we're going to will want to see her to make sure she's actually there. Unfortunately, she's not feeling well. We may have to reschedule to another day. I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend to see if he's even awake yet.
The sooner in the day we get the cabinets, the sooner I can start staining them.

Back