What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@oldognewtrick

Gotta keep things reasonably private on the internet...
IMG_2519 copy.JPG

Yesterday I was up on the roof nailing down some aluminum siding that had come loose. It's not overlaid as neatly as I'd like, but way better than "barely attached, hanging off at an odd angle" like it was.

Last edited:
Flyover, that's very cool! I don't think there are many pics of me from my teens. I didn't like to be photographed much.
There's maybe one or two of me on a hike or something. My sister has one of me on a hike when I had appendicitis and looked like garbage.

Today my mom wanted me to go to Walmart to get her RX that wasn't ready last time. It should have been filled last week but they didn't fill it for some reason. I stood in line & requested the RX. They told me it wasn't ready yet & would be filled in 30 to 45 minutes. I know they normally take a bit longer so I wandered the store bored AF for 50 minutes. Grabbed the cold stuff just before going back to the pharmacy. Stood in line again for another 5min or so. She told me it still wasn't ready & that I could sit down and wait (in the post-vaccine seating area) & she would tell me when it was ready. I sat for another 30min and started to get highly agitated bc my cold stuff was warming up & I still had to go to the post office afterward. I got back in line for about 10min (only 1 window was open & the person ahead of me had some sort of problem). I got up to the counter & said "Round 3, but this time if it's not ready I can't wait & have to leave". She checked and said she was very sorry but it still wasn't ready. I said I'd come back another day & left. I was pretty crabby so I grabbed a Borden's chocolate milk to & chugged it when I got back to my truck. Sat for a minute until I chilled out & then drove to the post office. Got back & mom was not happy her rx wasn't ready but she understood why I didn't want to continue waiting. Plus I got her some sugar free cookies and she liked them so she was happy.

Brother made some sort of pork roast. I used it to try to get my dog to take his heartworm meds but he still wouldn't eat it. Vet won't approve refills of his meds until he gets his rabies vaccine-- even though he doesn't leave the house.

Brother made some sort of pork roast. I used it to try to get my dog to take his heartworm meds but he still wouldn't eat it. Vet won't approve refills of his meds until he gets his rabies vaccine-- even though he doesn't leave the house.

First off, I would FIRE that "Vet" immediately!

Here is for Heartworm..

https://homeremedyshop.com/home-remedies-for-heartworm-dogs/
As far as Rabies, why do 260 pound Human Vets only need one Rabies vaccine for themselves in 30 years of practice, but dogs and cats need them multiple times?

Uh Huh.

Why does the vet recommend monthly heartworm preventative year round when mosquitoes are only in summer in many states?

Mosquitoes were year round in my area until the recent winter storm.

Turns out he wasn't due for the rabies vaccine & they weren't approving the refill because they now insist the dogs get checked for heartworm before they approve.

I got Mom out of the house to go with me for Fippy's vaccines. She took so long to get ready that vet was closed for lunch. So I had her go into Walmart by herself (first time she's shopped by herself in years) while I stayed with Fippy. I went to the gas station & filled up & walked Fippy a bit. Then parked back in front of Walmart & took Fippy for another walk. He got to pee on a bunch of bushes so he was happy. I'm not sure which of us got tired of walking first, but he actually did slow down when I told him to go slower. He can still move faster than me though. It wasn't the walking so much as the heat. He was happy to get back in the truck & sit with the AC blowing. He has a Batman harness so people thought that was cute.

He got super excited when Mom finally came out.

While waiting at the vet's office I introduced myself to the new office cat, Fred. I held my hand out for him to sniff & he nuzzled me. I then sat down on the bench next to him & he started climbing all over me sniffing my shirt, my cardigan, my pants, my socks, my shoes, etc. He was smelling all sorts of creatures on me I'm sure. Then he climbed in my lap to be petted.

Vet came out and was shocked. She said he normally doesn't like people and won't let people sit on his bench, but there he was cuddling with me. LOL.

Fippy tested negative for heartworm, got his regular vaccines, & got the 1 year heartworm shot. Apparently the vet had to argue with the other vet to get the shot available again. It's much more convenient than the monthly pills-- especially since Fippy spits the pills out. Princess is heartworm positive so she can't get the shots or medicines. But we can get stuff that repels mosquitoes & fleas. Not that the stuff works on the fleas...

Stopped by to say Hi to my friend and see how he was doing before heading home. He seems to be doing OK. Stimulus check really helped him get back on his feet.

Did some research on tabletop gas grills and couldn't find any that don't use the metal tents over the burner. I have yet to find a grill with tents that gets the tent hot enough to do a proper sear. I had hoped to get rid of my Ducane as I am only grilling one steak or two burgers.

While waiting at the vet's office I introduced myself to the new office cat, Fred. I held my hand out for him to sniff & he nuzzled me. I then sat down on the bench next to him & he started climbing all over me sniffing my shirt, my cardigan, my pants, my socks, my shoes, etc. He was smelling all sorts of creatures on me I'm sure. Then he climbed in my lap to be petted.

Vet came out and was shocked. She said he normally doesn't like people and won't let people sit on his bench, but there he was cuddling with me. LOL.

Animals are like that with me too, except Black Cats. I can be at my Sister's or my Neighbor's for hours and neither Black Cat ever shows up.

Did some research on tabletop gas grills and couldn't find any that don't use the metal tents over the burner. I have yet to find a grill with tents that gets the tent hot enough to do a proper sear. I had hoped to get rid of my Ducane as I am only grilling one steak or two burgers.

Have you tried a Cast Iron on the stove?

Have you tried a Cast Iron on the stove?
No, I've seen it on larger grills in lieu of briquettes. If I end up reworking my Ducane I might try raising the burner and adding the cast iron. My first gas grill had cast iron burners, I wish I had kept the burners when I scrapped the grill.

@Eddie_T Maybe you can adjust the distance from the grill to the tent? Getting it closer might make up for the lost heat.
I could probably make one work but I hate to purchase a new grill and have to modify it. I may experiment on my Ducane rather than buying small. If I could make it quicker heating it would be more economical.

Wish I had some suggestions for the grill Eddie, but no ideas.

Spicoli, even black cats usually like me. My sister had an old black cat who was afraid of her own shadow. She'd previously been owned by a drug user and we think he exposed her to some of his drugs bc she always had problems. When I went to visit, she wouldn't even leave the 1 room she hid out in. I got her used to me & got her confident enough to not only leave the room, but to come out & search for me. She found me on the couch & climbed on my lap. I first started by sitting in the room to get her to come to me. Then I moved outside the room & she realized she could safely walk in the hallway to come to me. After my visit she started coming out of the room more often.

I went to bed at a decent hour (or at least tried to) but Mom woke me up after midnight once again. She had been napping and woke up hungry. Rather than make herself a sandwich she had to wake me up and insist that not only did I have to make her something to eat, but I couldn't go back to bed right away because I had to sit & watch her eat so I could get her something else if she got hungry again.

I tossed & turned last night. I couldn't get comfortable & the room was too warm. The cats wanted me to put out more food (their bowls are not empty) so they pestered me. But I have a rule about feeding times & won't feed them in the middle of the night. I'm about to feed them in a few minutes though- but right now they just want to sit on me. Got two cats that hate each other sitting on either side of me ignoring one another because they want to be cuddled.

And I still can't believe it's me there in the picture. It seems like something from someone else's life.

When my brother's daughter ran away from home I reminded him of when he did that at that age... such fun! LOL !!!

Today I learned that Ohio and Michigan once got into an actual war over the city of Toledo.
Ohio won, but they still had to keep Toledo.

Yeah, I think some shots were fired into the air to keep the evil politicians happy. Then they negotiated a little... flipped a coin, Ohio lost, and won Toledo... TSUN state line moved north a few miles and they got the U.P. instead... but it's not so bad being in Ohio when it comes to college football, basketball, and baseball !!! LOL !!! 3 straight recent WINS for Ohio State over TTUN !!! ... even Toledo beat TTUN last time they played...

I took my brother to a doctor's appointment. Stopped by to see our friend but he was engrossed in video games. Grabbed takeout food & went home. I was in my room when I smelled something burning, looked around to see if it was in my room before checking the kitchen. Somehow one of the burners on the stove had gotten turned on and lit something on fire & it burned the Nu-Wave induction cooker. Even though I just set the fire extinguisher in a spot where I could find it the other day, it wasn't there. I decided not to waste time. Turned off the stove, unplugged stuff & got a bucket of water and dumped it on the fire. Then refilled and dumped it again. I don't like pouring water near electrical but I've seen how quickly a house can go up in flames if the fire isn't put out fast.
I messaged my friend & told him so he called to check on us. We're going to have to remove that old useless stove. I think it's hard-wired in somewhere. It got moved to a different breaker so I don't know which one it's on. Will have to experiment with it. Bummed that the Nu-Wave cooktop is toast. Won't be able to cook on it so we need to get a replacement asap. Thinking it might be time to just suck it up & get a whole new stove. We'll have to get a new breaker and run new wire for it though. I think the existing one is 30amp and the newer ones are 50.
Got the windows open and fans going for now.

Dang zannej... Good Luck, I hope all works out with that. I would do everything you can to save the stove if it's possible, because the new junk they make is exactly that.

I sold my John Deere riding mower because I don't want to deal with running to the store to get gas every week, and don't like the fumes. It was also a 54", so I couldn't get to some places in my yard. I never had problems with the mower, but John Deere sent me the wrong mulching kit, and their customer service is as bad as their website, so I'll never buy JD again... (Not like it used to be, AKA almost every company).

Next up is this Ryobi zero turn electric, which I will use 24 month zero interest financing for from Home Depot. I have done quite a bit of research, and although I have never bought Ryobi, I'm confident. It also includes a free bagging system through the 18th...

Home Depot also emails me $75 off $500 coupons that hopefully they do again before the 18th...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...nd-Bagging-Kit-RY48ZTR75-1A/311285575#overlay

Last edited:
Back