What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got stuck in line behind some dude who didn't know the right pin to use the debit/credit card & wasn't sure if it was his card or his wife's and he argued when the clerk said she would keep him rung up

Another mooch at my friend's house overstayed his welcome again. He'd been refusing to pay any rent or contribute to pay for food, utilities, internet, etc-- all stuff that he used. He used more electricity than anyone else in the house. He constantly broke the rules & argued. He kept moving stuff around without asking and even moved stuff after being specifically told not to. Complained he was treated like a child but he acted like one. Friend told him he had to start paying & he cried and had a fit. When he go this next paycheck, instead of contributing, he bought a non-working junker truck & dumped it (along with another truck) in my friend's yard. Friend was livid bc the jerk claimed he spent ALL of the money he had on it. So he stole that guy's phone. Not the first time he stole stuff either.

IMO, my friend needs to report to the cops that this guy stole a house key & needs to give it back. My concern is he may have gotten copies made.

Sorry to have to tell you this but the POLICE will do NOTHING about people like that any more! Best you can do is NEVER let a mooch/junkie into your home in the first place! Thanks to the Democrats, they now have more rights than you do! I speak as a former landlord who has gone through all that with the now helpless police! The courts won't back them up doing anything! If the police do anything to bad people, they know the courts will give them 'The Chauvin Treatment' !!!

I felt sorry for a tenant once and let him stay on for 3 months after his rent was due because I knew he had a chunk of money coming. But when he got the money he bought a car with it instead and it immediately broke down and sat on 3 wheels on a neighboring property which brought complaints to me from the property owner. I had it towed to storage until the tenant paid up. He had the police go get it, we ended up in court, he lied to the judge... judge, unbelievably, ruled that I owed HIM money! Totally angry and disgusted, I never paid him... he had the nerve to demand the money! I told him: "sue me"... last I heard of it... many years ago... but I'm sure that undeserved debt is still on my record with the courts from that crooked court!

Btw, that first guy at the checkout sounds like a criminal trying to use stolen cards by using the George Floyd Technique of FORCING the clerk to accept them any way! And, once again, the police will be hesitant to do anything about it now!

Also, we get stuck with the expense/labor of changing the locks when a bad person moves who still has the keys and can still easily burglarize or attack us in our sleep!

'Thanks to the Democrats"

SMH. What's your educational level?

I can't speak for Buzz, or figure out what your acronym means when you could just type it out, but let's have some fun, shall we? Since you don't pay ANY ATTENTION to how the Demon Rats are trying to destroy the country and are Anti-American, why don't YOU point out something they have done since Obama took office that has helped anyone?

By the way, "Education Level" has nothing to do with anything. The smartest people in the world over the history of time thought for themselves and didn't tie themselves to an imaginary "level" of anything.

I can't speak for you either, but it sounds like you have one or more high "levels" of "education" that are really just 8"x11" pieces of highly decorative slightly better than 7-11 copy paper that cost Thousands, possibly Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in exchange for the right to say you have been taught what other people want you to think.

Congrats, education man... Didn't help with real actual life, now did it?

Smh = shake my head

Education = (my interpretation) what you've learned over the course of your life; distinct from schooling, which refers to time spent in-classroom culminating in the slip of paper

Pretty good odds someone who's convinced that every single problem in their life is the fault of their outgroup has learned very little in general.

Imagine showing up to work your first day. Your boss says "here, do this thing." You try, and do it wrong. Your boss says "you did it wrong, here's how to do it right," and instead of internalizing what your boss says, you say "it's the demon rats' fault!" You're not gonna learn s**t.

Last edited:
THIS THREAD IS BEING PUT ON ALEART!

There are plenty of political opinion forums and this thread was started as more of a chit chat thread about what you did today. Family, friends and even house repair talk.

Please try and stay away from political opinion as it does nothing but polarize people engaging in other discussions on the forum.

Buzz, it depends on the cops. The mooch who stole the house key is not a druggy, he's just an idiot who has always been spoiled/sheltered. He started out being nice at first & helping out, but once he got comfortable he started acting like he owned the place. The cops in our town will illegally kick people out of homes if they know the landlord/owner and like them. They forced a guy to leave 3 days after paying his rent because the landlady didn't like that he got a tattoo-- no court order or anything. My friend has made friends with some of the cops in town & is related to the late chief of police so most of the cops are nice to him. Most of them have had him work on their cars at some point. So, if he called and said he wanted them to get his key back, they would get his key back for him so long as they don't have to fill out any paperwork.

I haven't checked in with him and his gf in a couple days. The gf was sick and lost her sense of taste (I told my friend she never had one to begin with given the "music" she listens to-- she only seems to like mumble rap). I asked her how she was doing but haven't heart back.

Speaking of college, I wonder if my degree will help me get a desk job at the local lumber mill. But I need to get some things at the house fixed up more first and make sure someone is around to watch my mother while I'm out. Thus far mentioning the degree has rendered me ineligible for many of the jobs around here as they consider any college experience "overqualified".

I tackled more cleaning yesterday but didn't get as much done as I'd wanted. Got too tired. My doctor told me to pace myself and do a little at a time so I don't tire myself out. Unfortunately, I'm at the point where even minor exercise gets me exhausted for the next few days. CFS blows.

I've been planning a custom-built recessed toilet paper holder for the guest bathroom. I'm using a picture frame from dollar tree for the outside cover/framing to hide where it comes through the cabinet (I'm mounting it in the vanity). I'm going to reinforce the area that I cut out with some scrap wood. I'm sizing it to fit the frame and then using some cheap plinth blocks on the inside and some 1/8" thick wooden washers for the spring loaded rod to fit. I wish I knew how to make my own spring-loaded rod that won't fall apart when taken off to replace the roll. If I could do that, I wouldn't need the plinths method will probably make it easier. It's taller than it needs to be so the bottom part will be a shelf for wet wipes. It will also be big enough that people can set their phones in it. I can use 1x6s (which I know are only 3/4" thick) for the top & bottom and 1/4" cheap plywood for the sides & back. Sides will overlap the top & bottom so they can be nailed on and back will overlap all (nailed at top & bottom while glued on sides. I'll caulk inside to make sure everything is sealed up. I'll use some braces inside the vanity to hold it all in place and then secure the picture frame. It's metal so I will have to use double-sided sticky tape and/or glue. I will caulk around it after it's on. I couldn't find the right size picture frame boards available & I was lazy.

So, this is my sketch:
1621179106667.png

I'm also working on finding a way to add a towel rod to one or more of the shelf kits I bought. I'm thinking a 1" or 3/4" wooden dowel would work.

My wife has approved me to build a waterfall coffee table using an oak or cherry slab I'll buy off my friend. I'm excited for that project. I see those tables going for $700+ and I'm about to get one for $50 + a couple afternoons' work.

Thunderstorms today so internet keeps going out.
Friend got his key back. The thief returned with it (and with a phone he'd stolen). He tried to pretend he hadn't stolen the phone, but after searching for it over and over for more than a week (and tracking it going back & forth to work with the thief) it turned up under the couch right next to where the thief's shoes had been (so he threw it under the couch when he retrieved his shoes). He couldn't even make eye contact with my friend when he returned the key. I think the only reason he really returned was to get his boots but he knew they had tracked him as having the phone so he slipped it back in.

Yesterday I deep cleaned litterboxes. I will scoop & refill them but sometimes they get really mucky (in this case from the waterers dripping --I got the kind you use for rabbits) so I had to take it outside & scrub it. I took the cat condo off of it's base & set it on puppy pads (since the bottom of it had gotten mucky). Thoroughly cleaned the base, put it in a different spot, and then scrubbed the part of the condo that touches the base. I did a lot of going back and forth outside to the back faucet in the heat and then had to lift the condo (which was awkward and bulky). Got it about 2 inches from where I needed it when I got chest pain and shortness of breath. Had to ask my brother to finish moving it (it had gotten caught on something & my whole body noped out on me).
My brother came and set it on the base. I went and ate a popsicle to try to cool down. I then cleaned up the area around where the condo had been (litter had splashed out). It had been in the way & my brother was using it as an excuse to not take out trash.

Trying to motivate myself to do something productive again but this weather makes me sleepy.

As Bud pointed out, this is a thread to post about things you're doing or things you'd like to share about your life and family. Political, agrumentitive postings are not going to be allowed. There's too many other social platforms to express those attitudes. We'll either lock the thread or start putting members in timeout.

We do appreciate those members who take time out of their day to help others with DIY projects.

Buzz, his problem is that he's immature and incredibly stupid. He doesn't understand a lot of things and he isn't willing to listen most of the time.

Mom asked me to go to the store to pick up medicine & an extension cord with 3 prongs (one she's using only has 2). So I got my brother to go with me. Went to the post office, swung by the DMV so he could renew registration on his truck, grabbed stuff from the grocery store, and then popped in to see our friend. His daughter was there so she had to climb all over my brother. She likes to get up on his shoulders. He swings her around and plays with her so she is always super excited to see him. She's adored him since she was a baby.

I was trying to get my brother to leave so we could grab food & go back to Mom but he was ignoring me. Then Mom called and whined about being hungry. She wanted McDonalds (I had a code to get a free coffee for her).

Friend's grandfather no longer has a vehicle. He sunk is late wife's SUV in flooded waters down in Lake Charles. Drove right in and had to be rescued. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow. Roads are already flooding and river was starting to run across the road. My brother drove back into town so I hope he can make it back safely. He needed something fixed on his computer so he took it with him.

Water level got high enough that the cows were under the car port because they can't get in to the barn. I need to figure out a solution to stop the front entrance of the barn from turning to sludge. Will probably have to get a shovel and dig it out when it's not so wet.

I need to figure out a solution to stop the front entrance of the barn from turning to sludge. Will probably have to get a shovel and dig it out when it's not so wet.

Is there a way to create a slope by the entrance so the water drains away quickly?

Is there a way to create a slope by the entrance so the water drains away quickly?
Not that I know of. Sadly, the entire yard slopes down to the barn. It doesn't help that the cows have crapped in front of the barn, which has mixed with the dirt/mud and they have trampled it. Between the rain and the cows it got sort of tilled up into very mushy mud. Even when it's dry it is very mushy. I'm seriously considering digging the soft stuff out & pouring in some quikrete and gravel & then putting a stall mat on top. I can't use just gravel because it will shift and get stuck in the cows' hooves. I imagine it wouldn't be very comfortable for them. Concrete isn't comfortable for them either, but it won't be so bad with a stall mat. I am hesitant to waste too much time and $ on it though since the barn is toast. I mostly want to fix it so I can try to remove more stuff before it collapses entirely. I wish I knew people who could do something to stop the collapse and fix up what can be salvaged without costing too much. But, that sort of work isn't available even for high cost in my area.

When it stops raining I'll have to get some pictures.

Got real excited today because a neighbor borrowed one of my tools for a change! Usually it's me borrowing other people's tools. (What can I say? Other people usually have more tools than me, even though I feel like I have tons of tools.)

Another time at my last house I lent one neighbor a clamp, and that same neighbor a hose nozzle sprayer. I felt real happy/proud about it because I like being helpful. But that also reminds me I had a different neighbor back there who borrowed my coping saw and never gave it back. It was a crappy saw and I could never get it to cut straight, so I don't miss it (that's why I never bothered reminding him about it), but it's the principle of the thing.

Now I'm trying to book a couple nights in a cabin less than an hour away for our cheapo summer vacation. Stuff sure fills up quick!

But that also reminds me I had a different neighbor back there who borrowed my coping saw and never gave it back. It was a crappy saw and I could never get it to cut straight

Coping saws are for cutting curves, not for cutting straight! Area around here has degenerated into all junkies so I can't lend anything out any more as when they are done with it they will sell if for more drug money. Had to learn that the hard way. After losing an appliance dolly and a brand new fibreglas 6' step ladder.

Not that I know of. Sadly, the entire yard slopes down to the barn. I am hesitant to waste too much time and $ on it though since the barn is toast. I mostly want to fix it so I can try to remove more stuff before it collapses entirely. I wish I knew people who could do something to stop the collapse and fix up what can be salvaged without costing too much. But, that sort of work isn't available even for high cost in my area.

Most of my 15 uncles were farmers and their barns seemed to be built kind of high with 50' long grassy slopes/ramps leading up to the main doors. I don't think many of them built the barns, they were inherited or already on the property when they acquired it. You'll prolly have to hire some healthy young people to fix it and tell them what/how to do it. A company will cost you 4 - 10 times as much...

hah, of course I didn't mean straight lines, I meant "along the desired curve"

LOL! Likely story... could have sworn I read the word "straight"... usually you cut to the outside of the curved line and then use a file or grinder to finish rounding it around smoothly to the line...

I mean, this saw would go right when I wanted it to go left, it was bad.

Latest posts

Back