What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... have you ever heard of chicken math? It's how people say, "I'm gonna go get 6 chicks" and then a box of 50 arrives at the post office... lol

Well, I have green bean math. Long story short, planted some several weeks ago... it never sprouted..... its rained the past few days on and off.... and here I am currently at 37 green beans sprouts..... it was 25 this morning 33 at 12 and 37 around 6. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
What in the good grief Charlie Brown will I do with so many green beans....
I am soooooo excited. So, so so so excited for the whole garden.

I may have experimented in my corn patch...... doing something I saw someone else do, and it worked for them. Worse thing that can happen is nothing grows or theres not a huge harvest and if it becomes too much.... i can just chop them off at the roots. But i planted squash and zucchini on one end and pie pumpkins and sugar baby watermelons on the other.

I also put 2 Jack O'Lantern seeds in, over by my tree stumps. I need to put weed barrier down by them though or it will be a crazy mess.

Also, I got an injection in my right knee last week. It was GLORIOUS!!!! to be able to work 2 shifts in a row with no pain or limping. Normally 3 hours in and I am about in tears. I hope it last for a very long time

My wife called a guy to come spray the perimeter of our house and, I guess, the inside, for fleas.

I was stretching before bed and she looked at my legs (which by now are probably more flea-bite wound than skin) and said "Jesus Christ, you're going around like that.... why am I the one who did something about it?" I did not have a good answer.

THe flea cycle is interesting. We had a toy poodle that had fleas and we didn't know it. We took the poodle to my inlaws while we went on vacation to Alaska. When we got home I began to get ankle bites and soon saw a flea. It seems that a batch of fleas had hatched and had no furry creature to jump on and were attacking us. I don't think I read up on the life cycle of the feas since it was prior to the cyber age. I think I discovered it by experience.

Every morning I would get up and walk through the house in my housecoat with bare legs. I carried a small cup of water with flea soap in it and would wet my index finger tip. When I felt a flea jump on my ankle or leg I would rapidly touch it with my wet finger before it could bite and then transfer it to the cup. I would continue this until there was no more activity.

I noticed the path that gave the most action and I sprayed that area with a strong insecticide every day. I don't recall the insecticide and I didn't really spray, I adjusted the nozzle to get a tiny stream with no overspray as I had seen professionals do in workplaces spraying for roaches and etc.

As I did this I noticed tiny squirming things in the dust on the floor (we hadn't vacuumed yet. I deduced that they were the larvae and apparently the spray killed larvae but not eggs. I began to vacuum again. I kept this routine going for a number of days until we were able to make the 100 mile journey to pick up the poodle. After we brought the poodle home we kept watch for the larvae and kept the poodle washed with flea soap. I still sprayed occasionally but kept the poodle elsewhere until the spray dried.

Here' a link about the flea cycle; Cat Fleas - How They Get Them & How To Ditch Them | Pet Camp.

As an aside, Flyover, do you eat bananas much (if at all)?

Didn't get much sleep last night bc we ran out of cat food. I fed the cats but the dog hoovered up a bunch of it and there wasn't as much as usual so the cats were stressed out. Had some fights. Then came to curry favor with me in the hopes I could make more food appear. They kept climbing on me and touching my face. The cat that starts the most fights, Senator Snugglebum, started following me around obsessively. Followed me in to the bathroom and wanted to sit on my lap. Sprayed my leg (but fortunately I was able to wash it). I carried him out and set him down. He followed. I went to lie down and try to sleep and he climbed on my chest to get up in my face. I kept pushing him away but he kept climbing back. Then his older brother, Sir Hammington, decided to climb on to my left shoulder and hug my neck. He kept putting his paws on my face. Snugglebum decided to keep the peace by grooming Hammy. Then Boo (our oldest cat) came over and climbed on my right shoulder and talked to me and put his paws on my face. Snugglebum groomed him too. Bethesda and Ginger got on my legs. The dog dragged my blanket away. So I got up early to go to the store and buy more cat food.

My mom had 40 in my house years ago when I lived with my now ex-husband. It was impossible for her to stay on top of.... and part of the reason my house needs so much work.

That just doesn't make sense. I can't keep up with 2. They have destroyed my fake leather furniture, pee all over the place, which I thankfully catch most of the time, and have done a number on my Bali window blinds, which is a garbage brand anyway, but I still have to replace them to sell the place.

I don't think I'm going to make it, big strong man gets his *** kicked by 2 kittens!

Most we ever had was 63 (before we lost track) but a lot of them were barn cats. Only a few came inside. I loved going for walks in the back 13 and having about 50 cats follow me. Now I only have a few who follow me around.

My cats must have realized I was talking about them because two just ran in and pounced on me.

Despite the aggravation, I love my kitties and they bring me joy. They kept me warm when that winter storm took the power out.

Since it's been raining and I've been feeling bleh lately, I have a new hairbrained idea.

I want to make a sewing table with adjustable platform for the sewing machine. I tried looking for existing old ones for sale and no luck. New tables are expensive as hell. Making my own would let me customize.

I've got the HF 26 In. X 22 In. Single Bank Roller Cabinet paired with the HF 26 In. Single Bank Top Chest, cost was under $500 at the time for the pair. Have had them for at least a couple of years, and they get used quite often. Much weight is contained with tools etc, and it's located in an unheated garage, New England area.

It's performed well, no issues. I understand that some of HF goods are questionable, but I've had good experience with most of my purchases.

I installed a new sprinkler control box and put nose molding on a stair. It didn't go as smoothly as I hoped, but I got it done. Have any of you checked out the Wyze Sprinkler controller? it's like $60 and you control it with your smart phone. I was shocked for $60 that it worked flawlessly(for one cycle so far). A tenant wanted it installed and the old controller box was failing so I figured why not. I really didn't expect it to work but I wired it up, mounted it to the wall and then he hooked it up to his phone and it did its thing. In the past I've had a sprinkler company do the replacements and they usually charge me around $300 for a replacement without Wifi control so I wasn't really expecting much but for that price I might have to install one at my house too. I'm not a huge fan of Wyze stuff(they usually save all the good feature for a monthly subscription). We'll see how this one preforms this year, but if it goes well I'm going to recommend it to everybody. Without the monthly subscription you get basic sprinkler control at no cost. If you want Wyze to use your local weather to control your watering and "advanced feature" you have to have the subscription but it looks like you get everything you need without the subscription. I do see now that Rainbird has some lower priced controllers but nothing with Wifi for that price. Will be interesting to see where these end up in the past I've stuck to only rainbird on everything so hopefully the will compete with it, but for now it's a clear price for features winner.

Other things I've been busy on:
I need a new Septic Leach field the old one fills completely up but doesn't drain out for days so if you run anything that takes a lot of water it over flows at the tank.
Installed an in window A/C unit in my office. With all the equipment running it was hitting 83 degrees and I was sweating doing office work, but now with the A/C in it's a comfortable 73 with all my stuff running.
Then just the normal country life stuff... spraying weeds ... cutting weeds... burning weeds... sneezing cuz of weeds.....

I really REALLY want to lease 10 acre's of my land for a solar farm. I've been in correspondence with a company that installs them, but they want $500 to $2500 to evaluate the land and then be put on the list with Xcel for a yearly election and hope I get picked. I'm mostly hoping the lease would cover taxes for our land and maybe cover some electrical utility in the future so we don't end up having to sell. With all the money the government is handing out and the way things are going I'm pretty sure taxes are going to go up drastically in the future and things like owning land are going to be a dream of the past. We currently don't make any money with the land so basically it's just mine to lose at this point. So if anybody has any experience with solar I'm all ears.

I meant to comment that that's a very nice tool chest, Shan. My internet was being a complete b*** yesterday and I could barely load anything. Had to re-load the page multiple times.

I saw some of the tool chests at Harbor Freight-- really nice setup but they wanted $3k for it. Ouch. HF products have been hit or miss for me. Got a good angle grinding wheel there. Got some terrible drill bits. Wouldn't even go through 1/4" plywood. They bent instead. Their screws tended to strip out and the dcrewdriver heads would also strip away/sheer off.

Other than cooking for mom and sleeping, I didn't do too much today. Needed some rest.

Zannej, I'm not a fanatic who eats multiple bananas per day or anything, but I've been known to eat a banana now and then. I'd guess I average about 2 or 3 per week, with some weeks where i eat one almost every day and some weeks where I don't touch them at all. Curious to know what's your theory about that.

If I get a chance I'll install my second rain barrel today. The hard part with this one was deciding on a place for it. The original idea was to daisy chain it right next to the first one but there isn't enough room because it would block a window. So instead it's going on another side of the house.

Sorta related to y'alls milk topic, we took the kids out for frozen custard yesterday. Got a cone for myself and took maybe 3 or 4 licks before I remembered to pop a lactaid pill. Too late, the damage was done. By the time we pulled into the driveway back home I had to rush out of the car and up to the bathroom. I will spare the details but suffice to say my whole abdomen was angry at me for a while after that.

Speaking of lactose, I had some milk and eggs to use so I made Tennessee boiled custard. It took a quart of milk, six eggs and a cup of sugar. I flavor it with a tsp (or more) each of vanilla and bourbon, sprinkle with ground nutmeg and serve chilled for sipping like eggnog.

I looked at whiskey barrel halves at TLC. If I chose to divert any rainwater a couple of them in series stepped down my sloping side yard might be attractive and require only enough digging to get level bases for the barrels.

Flyover, I don't know about fleas, but apparently mosquitoes find your scent more appealing if you eat bananas. They are more likely to bite you. Might be more appealing to fleas. Eating garlic is a repellent. But nothing is 100%. Bananas are still good for you.

I researched stuff and went to the grocery store. Arm is being hateful today and naproxyn didn't work. I took a nap around 7:30 and mom woke me up around 10 something. Not sure what she wanted because she hung up (was mad that I was napping for some reason).

Well like I said I don't eat a ton of bananas, but I do eat them. Same with garlic: it's not like a signature flavor in my cooking, but also definitely not an ingredient I back away from. I'd guess it's my blood type or something like that; bugs that bite have always enjoyed biting me as long as I can remember, no matter what I'd been eating.

The second rain barrel is installed. My next project is a coffee table I think...

Nice! I'm still working on my plans for the desk, and I may need to figure out how to add a 2nd compartment for a serger. FB marketplace had a serger + 2 drawers full of thread + 3 how-to books for $75. Sergers cost well over $300 from what I've seen when I shopped around. If it works it might be worth it. But, I will see if the seller answers.

Meanwhile, cats knocked over my monitor and busted it.
1623101608073.png
I got the 3-yr protection plan from samsclub so I'm going to take it back in with a printout of the receipt (can't seem to find the original receipt)- plus they can look it up to see I got the protection plan. I'm using another monitor that was just past the warranty when it developed vertical lines on the screen. If I split my windows and have them on opposite sides of the line, it works ok. Monitor was designed to have split screen.

I think I will get an articulating wall mount for my monitor so I don't have to worry about the little a-holes knocking it over again. also considered making a base for it and bolting it down somewhow.

You could just get rid of the little A-Holes. Every day I play the fun game show called "Find where the cat peed and win absolutely nothing"... One day closer to a trip to the pound...

As much as they aggravate me, I love my babies. I care about them more than stuff. I know the cat didn't mean to knock it over. He was trying to climb over it. Good thing I had the messed up backup monitor for the time being. The lines on it are annoying but at least it's not shattered and flashing with a big crack. Although, it did look like an art piece somewhat. I'm looking in to wall mounts now.

Back