What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to get up 3 times last night and this morning to break up cat fights. My brother needs to get his damn cats neutered. It's not their fault they have too much testosterone and get aggressive. I was trying to soothe one of the cats after the fight (the one who was being bullied by another cat) and all of a sudden he freaked out and grabbed my face with his claws. Got my nose, cheek, and just above my lip. Took about 10min to get the bleeding to stop. I had to spit on a tissue and press it to them to make it coagulate (saliva contains something that makes the blood clot faster). Put triple antibiotic on and you can't even see most of them. Scratch down my nose is visible. Blood dripped on my shirt though.

Picked up mail and grabbed food from McDonalds (per mom's request). She asked my brother to clear the hallway to the laundry room so I can carry her laundry without tripping. He said he'd "try". Which means he's not even going to do it. He won't give it a second thought. From his tone I could tell he was only saying it so she wouldn't ask him again. For some reason I thought today was Wednesday.

My fluff cat Mewlatto is on my lap right now. He doesn't like other cats but he's always very sweet to me. Pets my face gently with my paw and very gingerly licks my nose.

Got the new mounting bracket for my monitor. Now I need to get a board to span the studs to put up so it can be anchored properly. A 2x8 cut down to about 36"L should should do the trick. I mean, I *can* mount it directly to the middle stud (as the board will span 3 studs) but I want it to come out from the wall a bit more. The stud centers line up with some recessed lines on the wall panels so they aren't too hard to find.

Cat scratch fever is a real and dangerous thing (don't ask how I know that) so scratches should be cleaned and disinfected quickly...
Cats and dogs have different genetic personalities and even individual animals of same species (including humans) can have quite different personalities...

Well it's not exactly today that I did this, but I am now a resident of Pennsylvania. I drove out to Pittsburgh on Sunday, started at my new (transferred) job on Monday, and am just catching up to reality today.
I wish you well in your new assignment and residency.

I visited Pittsburgh once in 2017. Pretty area. I was downtown the whole time unfortunately but I'm a fan of the hilly terrain.

Wife's getting her hair did today so I've got the kids to myself for 5 hours. Trying to figure out what I can get done while watching them, if anything...

I don't know if I've ever been to Pittsburg. Probably about 20 yrs ago I went to the Hershey factory in Pennsylvania. I remember seeing some Amish people with horses and buggies on the road. A friend of ours lives in that area.
Tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable. Feel like I didn't get enough sleep. I think there is a high chance I have sleep apnea but I don't have insurance so there is zero chance of a sleep study or cpap for me.

My uncle Ed lived in Bethlehem, PA and had a cabin at the Delaware Water Gap. We went there when I was about 13 and my cousin took my brother and me through the water gap in a small boat. I don't know if the cabin was on the PA or NJ side of the river. I looked for the cabin on Google but couldn't find it. All I recall is that the gravel street ended at the river and there was a railroad directly across the river and we went left to go through the gap.

Bethlehem is a cool town. Musikfest is an annual town-wide event in early august. Music, food and beer everywhere. We have friends there and we go for the weekend. the drive is going to be a few hours longer this year.

Eddie, that sounds very cool. My uncle used to have a house near a lake in Mississippi. I think out in Meridian. We passed through Whynot on the way. LOL. I used to go out and visit him during the summer. We'd go fishing and I would go swimming. He was trying to show me the proper way to gut a fish without puncturing some sac-- only he punctured the sac during his demonstration. It sprayed everywhere and we had a good laugh.

Tossed and turned last night. It was too hot and AC doesn't work properly in my room. Got up around 6am and fed the cats so they would stop trying to climb on me for a bit. Finally got to sleep and slept until 4pm. Was having a bizarre dream about flying in a 5-seater plane (like the one we'd take to Tinian from Saipan). Wish I could draw or have my brain send images of the sights we saw while flying in the dream. It was very cool. Some sort of town built on a cliff of a mountain with waterfalls and all sorts of weirdness. Mom woke me up and wanted food. I had to take a few minutes to get my body to move. My brother wants to go to the store. I suppose we can so he can look at meat and I can grab some more plastic bins. Having bins has helped mom to start organizing.

Painted the exterior sconce light near the front door yesterday. After the paint dried I removed the paper and tape and replaced the bulbs, to discover the light no longer works. I haven't troubleshot the bulbs yet because I don't have any others that fit the fixture, but I hope that's all it is. I had taped paper over the connection so I know paint didn't get in there, not sure what else the problem could be.

@slownsteady I got to thinking that maybe the Park Service bought them out and razed the cabins. My uncle and a friend were partners and last I knew the friend had a cabin on a mountainside in the Poconos. I visited it on my uncle's surprise 50th anniversary party.

I was playing around with a sine bar that I had made back in 2013. I think I made it more out of curiosity and maybe used it once. Basically it's 10" and if one wants to set a miter gauge accurately to an angle just look up the sine of the angle multiply by 10, cut a block to that length and use with the sine bar to set the miter gauge. It comes in handy when building a jig to cut trim molding precisely to 67.5 ° for countertop bar 45 ° dogeared corners.

mugrp3k.jpg

The porch light that I painted that I thought was no longer working, I twisted one of the bulbs in a little harder and it turned on. The other one still didn't even when I swapped their places, so now I'm thinking it's the bulb.

I've got building projects (a waterfall coffee table, a shelf for my prickly pear cactus, some more shelves in the kids' rooms, a small shed that needs to be assembled, etc.) and green-lights to work on them, now the trick is clearing my schedule...

@Eddie_T that's a cool tool. Would love an illustrated demonstration of how it's used. I remember when I realized I would have to use SoCaToa in one of my woodworking projects (I think it was for some angled legs on a table saw stand) and it struck me as the first time I needed any of my high school math since high school!

Got either a wrong number or a robocall after 11pm the other night. Pissed me off. Person didn't answer. Just hung up. I'm going to test out a thing where if anyone calls after 5pm or on a weekend I will do the "You have reached (surname)'s Mortuary. Our hours of operation are 9am to 5pm. Please call back during business hours."

Yesterday I scrubbed the top of my truck as much as I could to get some gunk off but it didn't come off in some spots. Need to use some better cleaning stuff I guess. No hose out front for me to spray it with. Will need to get some soap and water and then take it through the carwash for a clearcoat. I also swept the floor and did some cleaning in the hallway and such. Grabbed more bins from the store & picked up mail.

Today I slept until 3pm. Mom woke me up wanting me to cook for her and pick up mail at the post office. Overheard the clerk on the phone telling someone "I know how to do my job, I'm not stupid!" I could see she was frustrated but she was still very polite to me.

Pretty sure I caught a cold my daughter brought home a week ago. My throat and sinuses are on fire, my nose is running, I'm tired and feel like crap. These symptoms progressed throughout the day but for the first several hours I was awake today I felt fine. I wish I had gotten a workout in then; now if I don't wake up feeling better tomorrow I might not be able to work out again until Monday.

I definitely need to feel better by this weekend, which is packed with fun plans.

Sorry to hear you're sick, Flyover. Hope it clears up quickly. Sending virtual hugs your way.

Didn't get much done today other than poking around in the barn a bit. I'll have to do more poking and maybe get some pics tomorrow. But I have to go to the store and get more groceries and pick up mail.

UPS delivery guy dropped of a package earlier. His GPS was confusing him. I said that the gps doesn't track well in this area and explained we were not near Oberlin. He was shocked that the post office doesn't deliver out here and that we have to drive in to town during their business hours to get our mail.

Back