What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zannej... Do you need the fillings right now? I would put them off for a while if you choose to change your diet. If you eliminate all sugar and don't eat meat / dairy unless it's 100% Grass fed, you might not ever need fillings. Your dentist will never tell you that because she is Drug, Drill and Fill, but a holistic dentist will.

Once the hard protective coating is broken off the interior will go to hell quickly...

Yes, I absolutely need to get the teeth filled asap so they don't get infected. I let a couple of them go for too long. One for a few months and another for over a year. Both got infected and nerves got raw and started hurting. Worst pain I've ever had. Worse than kidney stones. The tooth that went a few months-- broken on the side-- had to be pulled. One that just had a filling come out in the center required a root canal. If I'd gotten them both filled/refilled sooner it wouldn't have gotten to that.

Today I ordered a new monitor because my last new one shattered and the one I'm using has lines down the screen. The lines just left of center are now 3/4 thick. New lines started right of center now too-- about 3 inches away from the other lines. Started with 1 line but now it's a few and getting wider each day it seems. Makes it hard to read the screen.

I woke up at 0200 for no other reason than that, which is irritating because then I was tuckered by 0500 and slept until 1030. So while I did get the secondary forced sleep, I did not get adequate enough first hand *beauty* sleep, and I need three times that if I ever want to get over the ugly I have been forced to become! No less than 8 hours guaranteed! Make it happen! (Stewie voice)

I want to go back on Paleo, this time starting with a 3-5 day Bone Broth fast, but I will NOT spend around $200 on packaged broth for that, so in comes the homemade part, which any moron can do with a slow cooker. I have an Instant Pot (different brand), and while the SS interior is what I want, I'm on my 3rd one because the previous two boiled over on the slow cook setting, needing warranty replacement.

I haven't used my crock pot and wonder if the paint on the ceramic bowl will leach off during a 24 hour cook, everything says of course it will in my mind, so my search led to this all Stainless made in America version... The price seems ridiculous, but I weigh in what the broth would cost me just for that fast, and if I did said fast once a year, it makes the cost of the slow cooker moot. It's priced the same roughly as 12 days worth of packaged broth.

Other cons of the cooker include it's hot to the touch, there is no timer, there is no temp display, and there is no off besides unplugging. That presents a learning curve, but of course I can take the temp and have a log book for all the settings. I don't care about the timer, as it's a 12-24 hour process for that. For everything else, I have timers.

The pros are the SS interior, and it has a Lifetime warranty that goes with the pot for whoever I give it to. I just think of all the garbage kitchen gadgets I had or still have, all with 1 year warranties that have expired, and it just makes sense.

Then there's the fact that most Autoimmune conditions are a result of leaky bad guts, so repairing that with a Bone Broth / Paleo diet will make the price laughable compared to the gut pain and skin conditions and brain fog etc etc...

https://www.360cookware.com/collect...inless-steel-stock-pot-with-cover-slow-cooker

I hope you can find something that works, Spicoli.
We got the Farberware 8qt and 6qt pressure cookers. Mostly use the 8qt but the 6qt one we use for rice. They have reservoirs in case of boiling over. They are good for making soups and stews.

I had trouble sleeping again because I wanted to get more measurements I forgot to take at my friend's house. Brought over a 30' measuring tape to leave in my tool bag at his house. That way, he agreed that anytime it gets used it will be put back in the bag instead of left lying around (which is how all the other measuring tapes disappeared). Turned out my guess on the distance that surpassed my 8' measuring tape was almost spot on. 8'6-1/4". So that leaves room for three 30" cabinets and two 6" pullout spacers. I found a site that has much lower prices on the pullouts but the shipping is $17 a pop (it does not combine things in a single crate for cheaper shipping). Site called Imeca. It's only $98 or so plus the shipping for a 6" pullout. But, I think it would be better (and cheaper) to build them. We can cut up a side panel from the homeoutlet to work as faces.

Part of the reason for customization is that one of the upper cabinets will need to be 24" or 25" and the other one will need to be 34.5". The 6" ones were only available in 30". The 24" one will need to be the same depth as the storebought one (a little shy of 12") but the other one should be just shy of 18". I've been studying the construction and it looks fairly simple. Get some drawer glides and some shelf standard rails and pins for adjusting... Some bungees for the side rails to hold stuff on..

I just sneezed (allergy meds wore off) so Mewlatto had to come climb on me.

As an aside, anyone know how to refluff pillows that have gone flat? Stuffing has spread out inside and they are all squished.

@zannej: I don't know if this works, but you could try putting them in the drying machine on low or no heat for a while. Maybe it works depending on what type of stuffing they have?

My compost bin has been sitting, just a frame and lid, unfinished for a week. It's just been busy, I am not lazy. I have three kids; I hear about guys with 5, 6 or more and have no clue how they get anything done.

Thanks, Flyover. My friend suggested that. The stuffing-- some kind of green fluff (they got some rips on the ends so I can see stuffing-- just need to handstitch them back up). I guess it's some kind of synthetic filler. It has clumped up in some places. I will have to try it if I can get the path cleared enough to get to the laundry room. Been washing my stuff in the sink bc I can't get back there without tripping.

I don't even have kids and I don't know how people get so much done. I'm such a low energy person. LOL.

Talked to my friend about the continuing kitchen upgrades. He wants to focus on the bottom cabinetry first. That makes sense. We want to make sure mice can't get in to the dishwasher. Friend lives about a block from a small grocery store that has a rodent problem. The rodents spread out from there to other places. He said he swore a giant rat was trying to take his entire stove the other night. LOL.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on a plan to build the upper wall filler pullout thingies. Was watching a video on how another guy made them but brain started to fade so I'm taking a break. I'm about to nap again. Woke up very early and couldn't get back to sleep. Rainy day so I stayed inside.

I hope you can find something that works, Spicoli.
We got the Farberware 8qt and 6qt pressure cookers. Mostly use the 8qt but the 6qt one we use for rice. They have reservoirs in case of boiling over. They are good for making soups and stews.

Faberware appears to be Teflon coated? If so, you have to ditch those, there is nothing worse cooking wise than the nonstick chemicals that are released. Pressure cookers that have Stainless pots aren't much more than Farberware.

I've never had a problem with the Farberware. Pretty much everything in this world can poison us somehow. I got exposed to so much crap on military housing (stuff they lied about that wasn't supposed to be there & made people sick) that I think I got a lifetime's worth of toxins. I'm beyond the point of actually caring anymore. LOL.

Today is a lazy day. I'm sitting here with cats piled on me. I just took y medicine so I have to wait an hour to eat. I'll see if I can muster some productivity today once I get out from under the cat pile.

Teflon is impervious to acids... even stomach acids...

I downloaded and installed new video card drivers because Sketchup was saying it couldn't run on my computer bc my video card "failed tests". Sketchup ran after that. I then tried to remember all of the measurements for the cabinets for the kitchen. Countertops are not exact but I got the general layout. I opened up an older file where I had done part of my friend's kitchen, used that for ceiling height (although if I recall the ceiling is actually a few inches lower on that side because it slopes). I built the existing adjacent cabinets, made crude walls with cutouts for doorways. Then I went back and got measurements off the old cabinets and rebuilt them (bc I learned better/faster techniques that make them square & have fewer stray lines). So I built the new one, placed it over the old one, used the "hide" feature on the new one, and then deleted the old one. I downloaded a stove, a dishwasher (which had to be resized), a sink, dish rack, faucet, microwave, fridge, etc and plopped them down in the room. Looks pretty good. Friend said he loved it.

But he just messaged me that his gf's mother got sick while babysitting the baby so the gf went and picked him up. Then the mother tested positive for Covid. She's got major heart disease and her husband is in end stage COPD. Their chances of survival are not good. Particularly in this area. Local hospital is still batting 0 on Covid survival for any patients brought there. So friend said the baby & gf have been exposed, might be Delta variant, so we have to avoid contact with him for a couple weeks. I'm hoping my friend won't get sick. He had a bad reaction to the first dose of the vaccine-- so bad he didn't get the 2nd. He did survive Covid earlier last year but that was before he had the blood clots and stroke.

Tomorrow I have to go to the store to get more groceries and pick up my allergy medicine RX. It's actually cheaper than equivalent over-the-counter stuff and most of the over-the-counter stuff doesn't work.

Came in after getting food for mom and found my monitor face down. New one is delayed on delivery. It was supposed to be here already but they bumped it back to Friday. Which means I probably won't get it until Monday or Tuesday-- possibly even Wednesday the way things work here.

Since my friend & his gf are quarantined, I got a grocery list from them via messenger. Went to the store & got the stuff, set it on the porch, did the shave and a haircut knock, ran to the truck and waited to make sure they came out to get it. They both look rough. Gf said she's feeling sick.

Saw another friend in the store who told me that Alexandria has what they are calling the Delta Plus variant. He said "I did not order this addon! I had the basic package and not the premium one! No Plus for me!" I told him it was one of those forced "upgrades" that screws everything up until they make a hotfix/patch for it.

I am experimenting with a mix for peanut butter cups. There are several recipes online but so far I haven't found exactly the mix for me. I am doing small amounts for testing. First try was 2 tsp each of PNB, powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs. It was good but I am going to add butter and play with the ratios some before making a pan full and topping with chocolate.
I want the recipe when its perfected!!!!

You all have been busy.

I finally finished the gate😳.
20210805_184341.jpg

My oldest son bought a house, closed on it a couple of weeks ago and is moving the last of his stuff out today. I rented a dumpster, it will be here monday. This is a 15 yard, set up on a trailer. You fill it, he dumps it and then he brings it back if needed. So.... I will get the equivalent of a 30 years dumpster for about $150 less. Now.... the dumpster will be parked about 10 feet in front of the gate. I am so excited.... and then with the gate. I can buy a riding lawn mower because it is 6ish feet wide when both sides are open.
I have been giving soap making a try these are my first 3 batches. I am hoping to make small business out of soaps and salves (even if it's just coworkers, friends and families)20210805_202405.jpg

AND my beautiful flowers make me so happy (I've20210803_145119.jpg20210803_145158.jpg20210803_144638.jpg20210803_145204.jpg
And I am going to make calendula and comfrey salve. Calendula is currently in olive oil and sunflower oil, infusing its goodness and I just got my comfrey roots 2 weeks ago and they are this big already.20210803_143328.jpg20210803_092408.jpg
My beautiful sunflowers!

And last but not least...
Some goodies from the garden

#realfoodcomesdirty
20210804_173608.jpg
Now... to add to the debate.... I co sider non-processed foods those that came from the ground, a bush or tree. And meats that have not been adulterated. Now do I eat totally that way? No..... do I wish I could.... yes.
Also.... I dont eat alot of what is in the center of the store, however I get pizza from a local restaurant weekly and eat at the cafeteria at work 🤢.
I'm hoping that as I get more centered and feel more in control of what's going on around me, that I will eat better. I also only eat twice a day most days.... today I have only eaten once. I cut out pepsi 9 months ago, I do drink sweet tea periodically.... however I have not lost one pound since cutting out all that sugar. It should be a higher priority currently.... however, life exhausts me right now and I just haven't prioritized that.

Anyone know of a good place for me to find plans for a multi-bar soap cutter? They are sooooo expensive.

I hope you all are well!

@Spicoli I use my turkey roaster to make bone broth when I get a turkey. Maybe you should try that? I leave it on warm for 24 to 36 hours. I will also put some onion, carrots and potatoes under/around the turkey (and leave all the crumbles to small to serve) in the pan. It improves the flavor tremendously!

Shan, everything looks great. Veggies look delicious! You could probably sell some of your soap on Etsy or if you use FB you could do it over FB marketplace. Have a location away from your house where you can have people agree to meet you to sell it to them. Although, might want to hold off on that with Delta variant going around.
Can you use cookie cutters for soap? Or can you make the soap in baking pans with shapes? I think they have some silicone pans that have little rectangles or even cute animal shapes.

Hey, maybe that soap would be good for wood drawer glides!

Eddie, I hope your peanutbutter experiments result in something you really like. I hadn't even thought about there being different recipes. I figured it's just peanuts and maybe some sugar. Although some add honey.

My sister just called. Haven't talked to her in awhile since she's been busy with work. My monitor got delivered in the middle of the phone call so I missed some of the conversation (she was talking to my mother).

Mewlatto has decided that I am his bed. He was super cuddly as a kitten. Loved sitting on my brother's shoulder and chest. Then he stopped being as cuddly for awhile. But lately he's been obsessed with me and wanting to be held and cuddled by me constantly. But unlike some of the other cats, he's very gentle and will climb on me slowly and carefully (while others literally pounce). He also pets my face with his paw and gingerly licks my nose.

@Zain just got a couple of molds that are shaped. You could possibly cut it with cookies cutters but I think it would ruin the soap. Your recipe is what determines how long it takes to unmold and how quickly it gets hard. I am going to play around with some colors and designs, however I will probably do more natural soaps. I want to build a taller/thinner mold than what I currently have, we shall see lol

I googled it to see if there were decent prices on soap molds. Found a pack for $10 on Amazon but it's a fugly pink https://www.amazon.com/OBSGUMU-Silicone-Rectangle-Different-Chocolate/dp/B08LL1M19N

Not sure if that is remotely what you're looking for. But it does have rectangles. There are some "related product" links that come up as well.

Friend of ours used to make lye soap in bars. I don't remember how he did it & he's since passed away so I can't ask.

Since my monitor arrived & I don't have a board on my wall for mounting-- friend was going to help me put it up. I'm going to see if Doofusaurus (my brother) will help hold things in place for me. But first I need to get the board from the workshop, cut it to size. Pre-drill holes for the studs, check my markings on the wall, etc. Might have to change the height some because the new monitor isn't as tall. it will be awkward adjusting to it being higher, but probably easier to see over cat heads. They loooove to sit in front of my monitor. I'm thinking of getting one of those sticks they use to turn blinds with to tether to the wall mount thing so I can pull my monitor in and out (or maybe just make my own stick out of something). I want to make sure the monitor is set high enough to clear the subwoofer for my speakers. I just hope the mount can hold the weight of cats climbing on top of the monitor-- but I will put a pillow or something soft underneath just in case & I will push it to the wall when not in use.

But that will have to wait until daylight.

Looks good, Shan... Congrats on getting rid of a kid!!! Maybe he's a nice kid that didn't eat everything in the house, but I haven't heard many stories like that.

My ex had a dedicated crock pot for soap making, and seemed to always be using it, she had a nice sized shelf stocked with soap like it was the answer for a Zombie Apocalypse.

@zannej I have shredded foam pillows (MyPillow) and dryer on high is recommended to fluff them. That's good as my theory for morning congestion is dust mites in pillows, so two birds with one stone.

@shan2themax I saw a DIY soap cutter on youtube. My wife bought a bar of lye soap and had me cut the corners off with my bandsaw to make it look like Octagon soap and displayed it with her antique washboard.
Screenshot 2021-08-06 11.18.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Spam phone calls woke me up early. Allergies are also kicking in and I need to get up and get some water to take my meds. My brother just came and nagged me. He doesn't want to have to wait to go to the store but I set the time to go between 1 to 2pm as I figured we'd both be sleeping. If I try to get him to go early most of the time he will have a fit.

Back