What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my compost bin.

IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg
All wood was salvaged from construction site dumpsters or free on Craigslist (oh and some was from pallets my neighbors were throwing away after they had mulch delivered on them), so this cost me nothing in materials, not counting fasteners. Amazing at a time like this. The only cost I felt was a couple bucks for the 3" hinges.

The construction site dumpsters have these 2x3s with grooves routed lengthwise in them that were used to secure the straps over bundles of OSB sheathing in transit to the site, so to them it's a waste product but to me it was perfect for holding the removable piece in front where you shovel out your compost when it's ready:

IMG_0146.jpg

Eventually I'll swap out those screws for proper handles.

A little frog waited out the midday sun by sitting inside on the frame while I nailed on the outer boards.
IMG_0138.jpg

Last edited:
@Zanni do have one of those and a.couple of silicone inserts. I am wanting to make a longer tall, not as wide loaf. I can make one, I have a few materials. When you do that, you just use freezer paper to line the mold so that way you aren't as limited to the silicone mold dimensions. All "soap" is made with lye.... there is no way around it. Everything is a cleanser using surfactants. It really is a fun process.
@Spicoli43 I have not made hot process soap yet. However, I did buy a small crockpot to dedicate to doing that at some point!

Flyover, compost bin looks great. I wish we had enough going on in the area where we could pick up thrown out materials. There is only one construction site in town and they don't have a dumpster (yet). They demolished an old hardware store but the wood was rotted and they loaded it on to trucks instead of putting it in dumpsters. They are now building a new gas station but I still haven't seen dumpsters.

I ended up going to leave with my brother early. Got into the truck and suddenly he had to go to the bathroom. So I ended up having to wait an hour. Grabbed his rx from Walmart, got mail from the post office, and then went to Sams. Since they didn't let me purchase some of the stuff online (claimed it was out of stock but it wasn't), I had to go get it. It was the heavy stuff. My brother went to the bathroom again so he didn't help. I loaded up 5 cases of water and two gallons of milk. Looked around to see if he was out of the bathroom, didn't see him, so I headed to self-checkout. Checked out, looked around for him again. Said f* it and went to the pickup area. In the past I would go there when I had online orders and they would hand me the cart with my stuff. But this time I was told that I would have to go outside, park in the Pickup parking spot and use the app on my phone to check in. I explained I don't have the app on my phone. She said that if I gave my name she would send someone out with my order. So, I did that. Went through the receipt check and item scan (to make sure everything was on the receipt) and then got to the truck and loaded everything up. Brother called on the phone, he'd been shopping and wanted to get snacks. I told him I was already outside. I said that it was getting close to 2pm and my pickup window was from 1pm to 2pm. I moved the truck to Pickup spot 1. My brother came out and sat in the truck with me. After several minutes I called the store to tell them I was there for curbside pickup but no one had brought my order out, I didn't have the app, and I had informed someone inside that I was there for my order. The person said they would transfer me. Phone rang for 5min and nobody picked up. So I called back. Phone rang again and nobody picked up. I waited another several minutes and started to get irritated. It was now well after 2pm and I had been waiting longer than 10 minutes. I went and knocked on the unloading door and an employee asked me what I needed. I told her I'd been waiting for my order. She asked if I checked in with the app. I explained I didn't have it. She said "How did you order if you didn't have the app?" I said "On my computer. I've ordered like this before and I always went inside and they handled the order" She said "It doesn't work like that now, you have to use the app." I said "Well, I don't have my password to login even if I download the app" so she said "You have to go back inside and talk to them". So I went to the pickup sorting area inside and tried to flag someone down. No one noticed. I walked in to the area and someone told me I had to leave. I explained that I needed to pickup my order, had been waiting over 10 minutes, had already called the store, had spoken to someone inside to tell them I was there, etc and nobody was bringing my order out. He took my name and said he would bring it out. So, I went out and sat in the truck another several minutes and then decided I was going to go inside and cancel the order and go find all the stuff myself. Just then the pickup guy came out with the order and apologized for the delay.

So, now I need to figure out which of the stupid apps to load no my phone for the next time. But that runaround defeated the whole purpose of curbside and when I ordered online there was *nothing* in the information on order pickup saying I could only get my order using the app.

Sorry, venting. Time to go get food for Mom.

I made batter bread using Red Star Yeast recipe. It was for two loaves so I halved the recipe. When I poured it in the loaf pan I saw that it was a little too much but couldn't stop the pour. Maybe if I had shears handy I could have snipped it. Next time I will trim the recipe to less than half. Another plan might be to do the first rise quickly as a batter then add enough flour to permit handling as a normal loaf. As it were my problem was that it ran over the pan making removal difficult but it was still good.

Eddie, did you let he dough proof for awhile before baking?

I don't know too much about cooking, but I know that dough is supposed to "proof" in a warm area before being cooked.

Eddie, did you let he dough proof for awhile before baking?

I don't know too much about cooking, but I know that dough is supposed to "proof" in a warm area before being cooked.
I did, the beauty of batter bread is that it's quicker and less mess. "Proofing" is the rest period where the dough rises to double. It only takes about 30 minutes with batter a kneaded loaf is firmer and takes longer.

Ah, I didn't know you could make bread with batter instead. Baking is something I've never done. I have this weird phobia of ovens. LOL. I wish we had the kind they made in the UK where you can slide the door underneath the stove to get things out instead of trying to lean over the door. I burned my arm on the inside of the door as a kid and that was the last time I ever reached into an oven.

Cats woke me up and it was too hot so I had to get up and get something to drink to cool myself off.

I've been checking up with my friend online and he and his gf haven't had any symptoms thus far but it could take a few days. Hopefully they won't get sick. His gf's mom is not doing well at all though.

Ah, I didn't know you could make bread with batter instead. Baking is something I've never done. I have this weird phobia of ovens. LOL. I wish we had the kind they made in the UK where you can slide the door underneath the stove to get things out instead of trying to lean over the door. I burned my arm on the inside of the door as a kid and that was the last time I ever reached into an oven.
THe UK oven doors sound like the way to go. I wonder why they never caught on in the US.

Experimenting with some cheap washcloths. I use the cheap white ones from Walmart that come in a bundle of 18. Due to my short bout with sediment and a year or more of use they got dingy and stained. Bleach and oxygen bleach didn't work. I am dying them with expended coffee grounds one at a time. They are coming out a nice uniform tan color. I don't know how long the color will last. I am just doing it for kicks I have purchased new washcloths (only $3.97 per bundle).

Slide the door under the stove?

All that tells me is it will get covered in dirt, dead skin cells, animal hair, etc...

That would work, but how do they heat their tea?

Lowe's has all the standard garbage brands, but some brands I haven't heard of. I would research them, but I'm locked into a Wolf or Viking for my kichen re-do.

Here's a shorter video. Best if you mute it bc the music is very annoying (at least to me).

This one apparently automatically pulls itself in.

I like the one Eddie linked though. I wish I could custom design my own oven and have it built but it's too expensive to do stuff like that. I'd want true convection, induction top, controls on front (but not the kind that can accidentally be bumped on like the touchscreen sensitive type), child lock to prevent it from being turned on accidentally, and a low backsplash to fit under the shelves I have in the alcove. I'd also like for it to be sealed up well enough to keep mice out.

I can dream. LOL.

Went to Walmart early this morning with my brother. Self-checkout was closed and they only had one cashier in the entire store. Lady behind us was being a b*** and having a fit about how long it was taking. She apparently sniped at my brother about not putting the spacer bar behind our stuff for her but he ignored her. He told me about it later. I would have told her to shove it if I'd heard her. The cashier apologized and said they were understaffed & she was the only one available. I really wish I could do self-checkout because she mixed cold stuff with non-cold stuff and crushed the hamburger meat under stuff. I didn't get mad bc I know she's overworked & underpaid, but that is one of the reasons I prefer self-checkout.

My brother actually emptied the trash (but didn't pick up stuff that had fallen on the floor). At least he helped with the groceries this time.

Friend messaged me to say the kitten I saved is has some sort of yellow lump on his neck that is leaking pus. May have insect eggs/larva in there. I told him to clean it and put antibiotic cream on it.

We stocked up on the Hungry Man meals my mom likes. And I gave her leftovers from last night for dinner. I'm sure she'll be hungry again soon so I'll have to figure out what to cook. Maybe stroganoff. Last night was shepherd's pie.

If you come up with a design that a manufacturer likes enough to produce a few of, it might work. I would think it would have to be something they would mass produce in the case of the standard companies that are everywhere or something that a niche company could charge a lot for since they have to make all new molds.

Is this about the time you're looking forward to your Brother going back to school, or is it all screwed up because of Covid?

Some companies want patent references and they need to have permission to use certain patents. So it's not like it's as simple as explaining something to them or even drawing diagrams, they have to check patents and make sure it's ok for them to make it without having to pay to use it or make sure they can use that design without some violation.

He took online classes awhile back. He's only interested n online stuff. It's weird to think my baby brother is 41 now.

Well, that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't even approach them unless I had a utility patent or something.

Your Brother is 41? In what exchange rate?

No offense, but I assumed he was 13 max.

@zannej When you said you were worried about burning your arm on the inside of the oven, I thought you meant on the inside wall or top element. Unless your oven is wall-mounted and pretty high up, it seems unlikely your hand would get close to the inside of the door when the door is open.

I've twice burned my arm on the top element. It hurt but I'd say the upper arm is a pretty good place to get burned as far as getting burned goes. Plus I have some cool-looking scars there now. The most recent time it happened I had been broiling, and the burn was so hot I didn't feel it at first, and it turned my skin an interesting kinda ashy-white looking. Thought I had some paper fibers stuck there at first, until the pain faded in a minute later and it started turning red.

Last edited:
I know it's weird to be worried about it, but I have burned my arm on the oven door before. The door couldn't open fully because of the dishwasher being in the way. I hate having to lean over the door bc I'm afraid I'll fall on it. I'm also supremely clumsy and get weird injuries from it. Like the time I cut my finger on the metal retaining piece on a paintbrush. Case in point: Today I cut the side of my thumb on the front corner of the microwave door a. Not quite sure how I managed it. I put something in the microwave and was pulling my hand out and I guess I was closing the door too quickly so I managed to cut my thumb. It actually bled.

I woke up around 4am and played World of Warcraft until 7 something. Then I went to sleep and was having bizarre dreams about trying to fix up the barn and something about trying to check out a bunch of DIY stuff at a store. It's a blur now but it I remember it was weird.

Dog was barking her head off today over a family of deer in the yard. Looked like a buck, a doe, and two little ones.

Mom woke me up around 3:30pm wanting food. It was too warm last night so I had trouble sleeping well and didn't get rested enough. I'll have to go get mail tomorrow.

Made batter bread again with the right amount of ingredients to fit my pan. I altered the recipe to include milk and an egg. I let it rise twice in the bowl then again in the pan. It turned out pretty good. I am going to try making ghee to eat on my bread. My yeast had been in the freezer for more than six years but still works well.

Latest posts

Back