What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So..... after the MD appt, and prior to picking up groceries. I went to Home depot and bought a tiny riding lawn mower and the metal cart. I was surprised in reading tons of reviews about different lawn tractors/mowers that alot of them do not have more than a 4 star rating? I wonder why that is. I only have .26 acres so this should be fine for that. I will at least feel less stressed about the yard getting mowed. It's supposed to be delivered Friday. I dont have somewhere to put it under roof currently... so I ordered a fitted covering for it. My back yard is ridiculous currently. Can't wait to take care of it. I was thinking about making a pass at the highest setting and then another at a lower setting.... 2 if needed.

I want to know where you fellas that work, and do things for your family and significant others hang out/hide out. Lol

I honestly don't care if stuff has GMOs, but high fructose corn syrup is nasty. One of my cousins is actually allergic to it.

I had to go to the store today to pick up RX for Mom. Lady in front of me in line said her young grandson had Covid. Talked to a friend who works at the store. He said the store's deli was shut down due to all the employees there having Covid, the pharmacy was shut down yesterday bc all the people on shift that day were out with Covid, and that they are having a huge problem with people getting Covid. Said they can't enforce the mask rule in the store because the cops refuse to help. They had some people who got up in employee's faces, refused to leave, and were making threats, but cops wouldn't come remove them. Hell, the cops themselves refuse to wear masks in the stores. I've heard of several kids who went to school with Covid thus far and the school does not allow students to wear masks.

My friend's quarantine should be ending fairly soon, but it will probably take another week or so to disinfect his house enough for people to safely come over. Despite knowing he's in quarantine, his grandfather has rolled by and laid on the horn multiple times. His mom has called wanting him to leave the house or do stuff for her and has come by wanting to be let in but he refused. She likes to come in and take food and other stuff without asking.

Yeah the GMO scare never made any sense to me either. Genes are always modified, either by the natural process of reproduction (unless we're taking about single cell organisms that reproduce asexually, in which case genes are still modified by the environment via cosmic radiation or epigenetics) or in a lab by humans on purpose. The presence of a certain gene in something you grind up with your teeth and dissolve in your digestive tract will make exactly no difference to your health; what matters is the nutritional content. (I am not a gene scientist or a dietician, but I would be extremely surprised to see convincing evidence that my model here is wrong.) Honestly I think this is a scare dreamed up by people who watched too many Hollywood movies like "The Fly" and got them confused for real life.

Zannej, I don't understand why the stores can't enforce their own mask policies. Some stores don't let you carry back packs, none let you walk around barefoot/shirtless, often there are rules about unaccompanied minors, etc. These aren't government laws (OK, the barefoot thing might be) but the stores are able to enforce them because it's their property so they can set the rules. Why should masks be different even in the absence of a government mandate? If the store says "masks required" people have to wear a mask. If the store says "you have to wear a green hat to shop here" people have to wear a green hat. Store policy. Now, I don't know exactly where the line is in terms of what cops are obligated to help them enforce. Probably the store has to have its own private security for anything that isn't also a law. Maybe that's exactly where the line is.

Walmart has employees that they mark as Asset Protection. No private security. Just the regular employees who are tasked with watching out for thefts. They are not allowed to touch customers. They can't grab them to stop them from leaving if they are stealing and they can't forcibly remove them. They may confront thieves verbally and tell them to stay or go but they lack legal authority to do anything beyond giving instructions and then calling the cops & waiting for cops to come out. Many often do not even confront customers (as they may get physically assaulted for doing so). Years ago my unlucky friend was working as AP. He caught a customer stealing a large shovel. He told the guy to stop. The guy beat the crap out of him with the shovel while the rest of the AP members watched on without doing anything.

So basically, the only way they can really enforce security is with police backup. The cops will remove people for no shirt, no shoes, etc. Before the pandemic if the store called to say someone was trespassed they would come remove them. But now the cops are refusing to do their jobs because they disagree with the mask mandates and refuse to wear masks in the stores themselves.

I'd say the store should file a formal complaint about it, but they are unlikely to get anywhere. Most of the judges in the area are anti-vax/anit-mask and the cops can get away with literal murder. I mean, when everyone knows that the biggest drug dealer in town is a cop and it's been reported to higher up people but nothing has been done, the corruption goes pretty high. So much for stores setting their own policies. That only works when it's convenient for them or when they agree with the policy.

As an aside, when my friend worked AP I would sometimes help when I was in the store. I would help him circle people, watch them, & deter theft. Sometimes he'd point someone out (not literal pointing, just nodding with his head, giving a description, and softly telling me what suspicious thing they were doing) that he thought was stealing and I would go up and stare at them and they would get nervous and put stuff down. One time I caught people opening a box to steal something out and I very loudly said "HI! Trying to see what's inside before you purchase?" and they got nervous and mumbled "yes" and put the stuff back in the box and left. Caught someone trying to rip a box open and said "Is there something wrong?" and they practically jumped and put the box back unopened. My friend wasn't so lucky. He caught someone stealing & they slammed him in to the shelves and ran.

I still wish I'd been there on the day of the shovel incident. I would have jumped on the guy. Might not have ended well, but at least my friend would know he wasn't alone & that someone had his back. He quit AP over that and transferred back to Electronics.

I got woken up by a call from my dentist reminding me of my appointment tomorrow. More drilling and filling. Hopefully she can fix up this broken molar.

I am not scared of GMOs, just state it on the label so people know what they are purchasing. HFCS a whole 'nother story, it probably contributes to obesity. But either way don't call it natural when it isn't. While I'm griping about labeling there's Log Cabin Original syrup. The original was cane syrup with a low percentage blend of real maple syrup The new original is corn syrup with artificial flavoring. And then there's Coca Cola the original would be against the law so why make the claim that it's original.

GMOs, just state it on the label so people know what they are purchasing.
I believe this is already a requirement. I started noticing labels saying "contains genetically modified ingredients" (or something similar) a few years ago. Of course it doesn't really help people know what they are purchasing if they don't understand what GMO does and does not mean in the first place.

Let's start griping about Aunt Jemima. The best pancake syrup.

Well, you all already know the best pancake syrup is the kind you make yourself from the maple trees in your yard!

I'll share AriZona's reply (BTW AriZona is made in NY);

HFCS is made from corn, a natural grain product and many of the processes used to manufacture HFCS are used in the production of other foods and ingredients that are commonly considered natural. Although the FDA has not established a formal definition of “natural” for food ingredients, it is accepted that products derived from natural materials, which are obtained by minimal processing are considered natural. HFCS production is consistent within this definition. By contrast, products that are food colors or are chemically modified are not considered natural. We hope this helps and thanks for your continued support of AriZona!​

So..... after the MD appt, and prior to picking up groceries. I went to Home depot and bought a tiny riding lawn mower and the metal cart. I was surprised in reading tons of reviews about different lawn tractors/mowers that alot of them do not have more than a 4 star rating? I wonder why that is. I only have .26 acres so this should be fine for that. I will at least feel less stressed about the yard getting mowed. It's supposed to be delivered Friday. I dont have somewhere to put it under roof currently... so I ordered a fitted covering for it. My back yard is ridiculous currently. Can't wait to take care of it. I was thinking about making a pass at the highest setting and then another at a lower setting.... 2 if needed.

I want to know where you fellas that work, and do things for your family and significant others hang out/hide out. Lol

Which mower did you buy? I don't remember if I posted my thrashing of Cub Cadet here or not. From HD's lineup, not counting the Dewalt commercial beasts...

Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and Craftsman are owned by MTD. You will see that they all look alike. Stanley Black and Decker is in the process of buying MTD if they haven't already. That can be good or bad, as Stanley has a 3.5 star brand in my opinion in Dewalt, but they also have a 0 star brand in Black and Decker.

I don't have experience with anything Ryobi makes.

I looked at the Toro riding models, but for the price, they don't include an hour meter except for the highest priced mower. Their warranty is unlimited hours for the stated period, but that doesn't help if reselling it. That stopped me from buying it.

Weibang doesn't offer any customer service that I could find.

I liked my John Deere, but sold it to buy the Cub Cadet electric, which was my nightmare since April. The only (Hindsight) drawback now about the John Deere is there is no service locations here, I would have to drag it about 100 miles.

I hired the neighbor's ADULT son for the rest of the season because there is no such thing as a kid that wants to work these days. They just want to play the video games... I will save you from the soapbox about me selling Apples all around the greater 5 block section of town as a 7 year old to pay the bills.

I want to do more research on the E-GO electric mower from Lowe's, if they ever get them back. Their batteries can be removed and used in other stuff they make, and they look superior to the Ryobi electric.

GMO's are relatively new on the grand scale of things, with exceptions like Broccoli and Cauliflower, which are manmade creations. If you look up safety of GMO's, you'll find a bunch of articles on both sides, but the industry has a gigantic footprint on the discussion.

I'm against them simply because the industry fought tooth and nail to prevent GMO labeling, and won. The example you give, Flyover, is a company choosing to label it. My whole point is if GMO's are safe, why don't they have a logo on the package saying "Proud to be GMO" or "79% GMO"?

The GMO idea is a giant experiment, and I'm not signing up for that guinea pig trial.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18989835/

if GMO's are safe, why don't they have a logo on the package saying "Proud to be GMO" or "79% GMO"?
Because public perception is flawed. Like you indicated, broccoli is itself a GMO, no question about it. So is corn. They could say "GMO" on them but don't, because they know people would get some Hollywood idea in their heads of mutant machete-wielding vegetables coming to get them, because people really are that smart.

GMOs have been around for a very long time, but through more subtle means. It's the same way people selectively bred dogs/horses to get specific breeds. Ever since humans started to grow plants, they have cultivated and modified the plants and land to suit their needs. Corn is technically a GMO due to selective growing/cross-pollinating etc.

There are a lot of grown a$$ adults who don't want to work either. Even over 10yrs ago my elderly friend hired an adult to mow the lawn around the ditches outside his fenceline and clear the weeds and debris in the ditches. It was technically part of my friend's property but he was over 80yrs old and couldn't do it himself anymore. The guy he hired was constantly doing as little work as possible and not clearing the ditches- despite that being one of the specific requirements.

And I thin I've vented about the guy who had been doing yard work for us who borrowed money with the promise of paying it back and asked for an advance (on top of that) for future work and then didn't come back to do the work for over a year. When he finally came back he did only a few hours of work and then wanted to be paid more $. The dude owes about $1k worth of work. But he doesn't want to actually do the work despite already having the $. Mom is debating whether or not to bother taking him to small claims court. We still have the promissory note that he breached & I have FB messages from him promising to work to pay it off and how much he still owes.

Edit: Flyover beat me to the mention of corn. LOL.

I'm waiting until it's time to head to my dentist appointment for more drilling and filling.

Dental appointment went well. She did hit the langual nerve with the numbing needle but it didn't really hurt. It startled me and felt weird--felt like the needle was picking up the very edge of the skin on the side of the tongue but it was really a sensation radiating from where the needle touched. Kinda neat actually. She practically worked a miracle with my broken tooth. Looks good as new and it feels great to not have that huge gap anymore.

Because public perception is flawed. Like you indicated, broccoli is itself a GMO, no question about it. So is corn. They could say "GMO" on them but don't, because they know people would get some Hollywood idea in their heads of mutant machete-wielding vegetables coming to get them, because people really are that smart.

No they wouldn't. 95 percent of the garbage in the supermarkets is GMO anyway. People that buy it do so for financial reasons or because they don't care, same with fast food. People that know what GMO is wouldn't flinch at all because they know what package is and what purports to not be.

Broccoli and cauliflower are not a lab GMOs. They came from cross breeding rather than inserting genes in the lab..

I think the point of contention is that the people talking about GMOs to sell their products are not differentiating lab altered from selective cultivating.

As a complete aside, when my dad was little, his father had grated different types of fruit trees on to one of the trees in the backyard. So he had a single tree that grew multiple types of fruit. This led to some confusion when the teacher was asking what types of fruit grew on what sorts of trees. She'd never heard of grafting. LOL.

Broccoli and cauliflower are not a lab GMOs. They came from cross breeding rather than inserting genes in the lab..
Sure but on the genetic/molecular level it makes no difference.

Sure but on the genetic/molecular level it makes no difference.
You've fallen for it hook line and sinker and are now serving as a water boy. Once the camel gets its head in the tent . . . broccoli and cauliflower are used by the GMO people as an argumentative stepping stone, then to inserting genes, then to splicing genes, then to inserting or splicing foreign genes (monkey, fetal whatever they wish). If you got the COVID shot it was either based upon or tested on fetal cell lines from abortion. Most people don't know that until I tell them.

Eddie, no.

Fetal genes are not spliced into food. Fetal genes are not in the vaccines either though some aborted fetal cells were used to test the vaccine, if I'm remembering right. I'm against abortion but I am not against using tissue from dead humans to advance science.

Back