What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flyover, I agree. It's an archaic system. I have tried numerous times to get my friend to try to get something in writing from his mother stating he gets the house for fixing it up & then if need be, he can take it to court. I'd do People's Court or Hot Bench instead of Judge Judy. We aren't planning to destroy stuff in the house, just remove stuff that was put in. When he first moved in the floors fell through. Had to replace joists & subfloor. He'd leave the subfloor. But he'd take the vinyl plank flooring, the cabinets, the tub/shower, the vanity, the toilet, the washer & dryer, most of the furniture, the cabinets, stove, etc and move them in to a different home.

Shan, that sucks. I love black tea but I had to stop drinking tea because of my kidney stones. I now mostly drink water and a little bit of milk.

Eddie, that reminds me, we never got a flag from the govt for my father when he passed. Since he was a wartime veteran he should have received one. Not sure how to apply for one.

Took my brother for his job interview since the battery in CR-V is dead and his truck needs new motor mounts. He went in and within a minute came back out & said that they had already hired 7 people and weren't hiring anymore for the week. Didn't even bother to call to cancel his interview. So we popped in to see my friend and check on Nightmeow. Little kitty is still tired but better than he was yesterday. Friend looked terrible. His gf's family were all over the place and more of them came while we were there. Her bio mom, bio mom's husband, her inbred sister-cousin, inbred sister-cousin's baby, etc. Apparently some of the symptoms of inbreeding are speech impediment and being mentally challenged. Not the poor thing's fault though. The sister-cousin's husband is also mentally challenged. They are both on social security for it. But somehow, their baby (who is 10 days younger than my friend's gf's baby) is smarter. Much more alert and interactive. That may be because she gets held and interacted with all the time though. Neither one of the babies really had an interest in each other though. Just sort of ignored each other. The gf's baby wanted to chew on his aunt's phone. The other baby was eating chicken nuggets.

Shockingly, today my brother acknowledged that he wouldn't be able to live his current lifestyle without working if not for being supported by Mom.

@spicolshe actually told me I wasnt eating enough, the past 6 to 8 weeks have been a struggle with my gut and I just don't want to bother with eating. So.... I'm supposed to be doing better. That's a weird thing for an obese person to hear. I am definitely going to look into that link. One of my coworkers has cattle, I'm not sure how they are fed. However I have a 25? Cf freezer. I really should invest in meat.

@eddiethis is the one I got. It has little things on the back to hold the flag in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KNPJZ4V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_shareAnd then I got this name plate

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIO4998?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

@zannethere are some interesting videos on youtube about inbreeding that is in WV and KY. It's super sad listening to the only "fairly normal" person talking about having no friends outside of family.
Everyone interviewed but her had severe speech problems.

This is one of the videos I watched

Thanks, Eddie.

Video is not working shan, but I can google it.

I forgot to mention my friend was feeling awful because his mom brought over some tomales with jalepeno peppers. My friend is allergic to jalepenos and his mom knows it but doesn't care. He had to take a bunch of Benadryl to keep his airway from closing up (he doesn't have an epi pen).

I can hear thunder kicking up. And I just ate chicken-- still have some grease on my fingers-- so Biscuits is trying to eat my fingers.

@shan2themax Thanks for the link it's giving me ideas. I think just a rabbet for the rear cover and some black wood screws will work. I am going to sit the sides on the bottom board (45° bevel) to avoid the 22.5° mitered corners.

I clicked on the Watch on YouTube and it took me there. I'm too emotional, it brought tears.

Last edited:
We aren't planning to destroy stuff in the house, just remove stuff that was put in. When he first moved in the floors fell through. Had to replace joists & subfloor. He'd leave the subfloor. But he'd take the vinyl plank flooring, the cabinets, the tub/shower, the vanity, the toilet, the washer & dryer, most of the furniture, the cabinets, stove, etc and move them in to a different home.
This was what I was doubting you're actually prepared to do. Removing that stuff intact and transporting it is enough to keep a crew of healthy young guys busy for a week, and that's if they have a 53' trailer. So in real life what your friend has is a threat, made to his mom, that he will destroy the house.

My garage hasn't seen much progress but it's the week and I have a full time job and three young kids and I'm the head chef on top of that so I'm not too bothered by it.

Though the clutter on my workbench has gotten out of hand...took me 15 minutes to find my drill chuck key today. But I eventually found it and put some holes in the bottom of my cactus pots so they can drain. The big one has been doing really well since I pruned it a few weeks ago: saw it's growing a couple new pads already.

My drummer buddy called and said he tried out recording with his electric drum set and it works well, so we're going to record a few songs whenever we can get together next. I made him a deal that if he'd lay down a drum track for this one song I like playing (but he finds the drum part boring) that I would never ask him to play it again, and would learn a song he likes instead.

@spicolshe actually told me I wasnt eating enough, the past 6 to 8 weeks have been a struggle with my gut and I just don't want to bother with eating. So.... I'm supposed to be doing better. That's a weird thing for an obese person to hear. I am definitely going to look into that link. One of my coworkers has cattle, I'm not sure how they are fed. However I have a 25? Cf freezer. I really should invest in meat.

Almost all health problems (Autoimmune) are caused by gut problems. I keep forgetting everything I have said to who, but I'm going to start this program soon...

https://drjockers.com/the-digestive-health-restoration-program/
In eliminating gut wrecking grains, your body will start to heal. The "American Heart Association", which is about as backwards idiotic as possible, loves to put their logos on Sugar grain cereal. I bet nobody in the entire organization knows what the ingredients are or what they do, but they get $$$$ from the industry and the "food pyramid" preachers.

On the above program, if you quit everything for 19 days or so and then re-introduce Wheat filled happy happy yum yums, and they don't wreck you, maybe you can eat them forever. Conversely, you will probably know real quick if it's just something you shouldn't eat again, or at least wait a significant time before trying again. It's an elimination diet, starting with the foods that are scientifically proven to wreck the gut.

As far as finding Beef if your coworker doesn't have Grass Fed, you can check out Local Harvest or Eat Wild to find farmers / ranchers that are in your area.

https://www.localharvest.org/
http://eatwild.com/

Almost all health problems (Autoimmune) are caused by gut problems. I keep forgetting everything I have said to who, but I'm going to start this program soon...

We have talked about it actually.
Idk what my problem is. I don't feel like I have too many hats on, however..... I also don't ever fully do anything that I set my mind to. I guess I just live in a state of overwhelm.

I need to make lists and stuck to them. I do make some in my living room on my freezer (so does my son). He pointed out to me the other day that it does not good to jot down goals if they Aren't specific and dated.... so.. I am trying to improve on that. This was a about 4 weeks ago.
I have also been putting "thoughts" on there. My son thinks they are for me... and to some degree they are, however, they are more for him to ponder. Lol20210806_231718.jpg

I clicked on the Watch on YouTube and it took me there. I'm too emotional, it brought tears
It is very emotional. Especially when you see that a humans inability to control there sexual urges can be such a damning experience.

I suppose I'm off to bed for work tomorrow 🙄 .

I'll be praying for a good day. We are so short staffed, I often have 6 and 7 patients and then only 1 patient care person for 21 patients..... it's old, and people are demanding and cranky. Lol

That's a good idea to have a white board like that, but I could duct tape a list to my bathroom mirror and I will find a way to completely miss it. One giant symptom of rotten guts besides the pain is brain fog. I'll know instantly if the program works for me if I remember that I checked the dryer lint trap and remembered to turn off the bathroom fan etc..

I remember being more alert when I was on a "loose" Paleo diet that didn't have Grain fed restrictions, so being Grass fed might be something I never quit.

@Flyover Ahh, drums and guitar, playing Dreams on my 6" Karlson cabinets which do rather well. I love the beat on that song. In 1979 I was at the Alaska State Fair in the Matanuska Valley and a band was doing a cover of Dreams. I had never listened to or heard of Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac so I had no idea what I was listening to. I was mesmerized and sought out the soundstage. They had a harmonica wailing the melody line. I didn't think to ask anyone the name of the song while I was there and it wasn't until this year that I found it on YouTube.

Flyover, my friend isn't threatening his mother with anything. We are not telling her of the plan to remove stuff if she tries to take the house from him. Almost every single thing was brought over there in my truck over time. She lives out of town so we could take stuff from inside without her knowing it. She'd likely have to go to court to get my friend out anyway since the city notes the house is in his care. We have other friends who would help us move stuff. We'd start with the bathroom and laundry stuff. I have enough space in my workshop if I re-arrange things for most of his stuff. We'd have to take things like the roof and front door last. We'd leave stuff that can't be re-used or that he doesn't want. He still owns the trailer his ex lives in and someone gave her boyfriend a house so he can re-claim his trailer to move stuff in to as well. Or he could sell it and get more $ toward finding another place. Worst case, we could fix up his burned house and move stuff over there.

We're not expecting her to try to kick him out anytime soon though. I'm still encouraging him to get something in writing (even in text) about the agreement. Right now he's been overwhelmed with being sick and his gf's family drama.

Fair nuff, Zannej. You are more prepared than I thought, and would have more time than I thought if it came to it. I stand corrected.

I found a new show on Travel called "The Osbournes want to believe" starring Jack, Sharon and Ozzy. It's all about Paranormal clips that Jack shows to the parents, and it's entertaining to me because I have experienced Paranormal things in places I have lived in 3 states, including this house. There is some compelling UFO stuff as well, which I'm not that into, but there is a couple of clips that might make me a believer...

It's on Sundays, but you might be able to watch the series On Demand.

The only drawback is my ears aren't fully formed, so the good dedicated nannies at the FCC bleep out a lot of words. I think they are saying "Waffle", but I can't figure it out. I think, but have not confirmed, that our ears are fully formed by age 80. I sure do hope so!

Flyover, I'm glad you brought it up because it made me think a lot about contingency plans, and how we would go about moving stuff. Between all the stress, being sick, and having a traumatic brain injury, my friend has a very hard time standing up for himself. I haven't heard from him today on how he's doing and I was exhausted.

Spicoli, I have a bit of hearing impairment as well. I generally have to use subtitles/closed captions to tell what people are saying on TV shows. Part of it is because some of those shows have very low volume for the speaking but super high volume for the sound effects. That is one of my pet peeves. The Osbournes are entertaining. Kelly was one of the guests on Crime Scene Kitchen. Joel McHale said that he last saw her at the Fox Toast & Roast New Year's party screaming profanities at Ryan Seacrest. He said "In that moment, you became my personal hero".

Censorship can sometimes make things sound worse than they are:
Case in Point:

Other than cook for Mom. I did nothing. Barometric pressure and thunderstorms had my head hurting. I woke up to 8 and a dog sitting on me. Tomorrow I have to go to the store to replace stuff my brother ate in large quantities that was not supposed to be for him and pick up some more prescriptions. They weren't eligible for refill last week.

"I think they are saying Waffle" was a joke against the FCC nannies. As far as hearing though, I can't watch the regular TV. I need to watch the projector with the speakers right in front of my face. I could of course run the speakers from the 55" TV, but there's something about the 130" Projector screen that prevents me from doing that.

Every time I walk into Costco and see the prices of their GIANT 70" sets, I try not to laugh at the prices.

That video could be 20 seconds, but it makes the point that all censorship is stupid. If I'm watching the Osbournes unfiltered and they are all dropping F bombs left and right, then I have no problem with that, I was in the Army for far too long to be sensitive to anything. In the same situation if little kids were present, then the blame is squarely on me.

If they scrapped the FCC and all the bloated salaries of those do nothings, the government could afford to pay for speech and cognitive function lessons for Joe.

the government could afford to pay for speech and cognitive function lessons for Joe.
Careful what you wish for. If he was more articulate and less senile he might get even more of what he wants. I think there is still private property in this country he hasn't figured out how to seize, and some people he hasn't figured out how to imprison, and some neighborhoods he hasn't figured out how to turn into ghetto war zones, but if he had his full faculties he might work something out.

OK that's my year's worth of politics, I'm done now.

If my Craigslist buyer actually shows up then I'll sell off some cactuses today (well, hopefully more than just one or two). Gonna try and encourage a "bulk" sale.

I still have half a dozen cuttings I need to pot up, and I'm amazed at how quickly the pruned "parent" plant has started growing new pads, and so many too!

Well, Sleepy Joe isn't running the show, as he has said multiple times "I'm not supposed to take questions" or "They said I wasn't supposed to answer" etc... Considering Obama traded 5 Taliban Terrorists for the traitor Bergdahl, and at least one of those same Terrorists is now in charge of the Taliban, I think it's evident who is running things behind the scenes.

As far as selling Cacti or any other cuttings, make sure they aren't patented or you could end up in hot water. Granted, the odds of your plant buyers being the plant police are almost nil, just saying.

https://mikesbackyardnursery.com/20...-tale-of-white-fountain-weeping-cherry-trees/

Back