What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost my balance a week or so ago. The room started moving, I grabbed the countertop for support and after a bit held on to furniture and made it to my easy chair. I did all the stroke tests and all was well. A friend said it was senior vertigo so maybe I won't be buying another motorcycle. I red up on vertigo and it describes the event to a tee.

@Eddie_T it could also be your blood pressure. Vertigo is no fun. You can buy meclizine over the counter. If 25mg makes you sleepy just take the 12.5. I actually take it to help with nausea. Colonoscopy scheduled for October 11. (Woohoo... not)

@Spicoli43 long stories short..... theres a moderate sag in the house, floors are not the same heights currently, he doesnt sleep in a bed, he sleeps on the floor so linoleum wouldnt be comfortable. There is already tar paper between the original 2 layers of flooring.....
And..... unashamedly I'm afraid..... I'm tired and I just don't care.
When the time comes that I am no longer dealing with cats.... then the intent is to add the 1/2" through the entire house and put padding and carpet everywhere but the kitchen, dining room and bathroom.

I struggle to force myself to do the things that I do get done, it's a physical challenge at times..... however, most of the time I am in an emotional/psychological headgame with life and trying to get through each day and all the challenges that come with that currently.

I am trying to honor a parent to the best of my ability, while also trying to keep a little sanity intact, while also working in healthcare during this pandemic.

I wish people would take it seriously, I wish we could televise patients (with permission of course) 24/7.
Watching people struggle to breath is something I do 24/7 at work and home and it is an absolute mind game.

I helped transport a lady to a higher level of car yesterday that started out on 8 liters of oxygen per minute yesterday morning, and was on 15 liters when we transported her to the other floor. We couldnt get ahold of her daughter, so we called a friend, the patient was so worn out trying to breath and having oxygen levels in the mid 80s on 15 liters, she couldnt even roll herself over on her side.... she was 56 I believe. All she said when we told her we couldnt reach her daughter was.... I'll be ok.... over and over....

It's an absolute crap show out there.

Thank you for the reminder Shan!

I too just scheduled another colonoscopy. Sorry for the reminder, but my sister died from this just 2 years ago, and worth repeating because it will save lives.

@havasu this will be my first, but I am having a lot of difficulties with my gut in general. I'm sorry to hear your sister had colon cancer and I am so ever grateful that you are getting your colonoscopies done!

@68bucks thank you so much. I am also an RN. Tell your daughter to keep her head up. My thoughts and prayers go out to her.

You're teaching your boys to craft and clean the house like Martha Stewart, and you think they won't be stuffed in lockers and have the tar beat out of them... You should probably make them wear Bow Ties also, so the beating is over sooner.
Nice comment.

Yesterday I started working on my wife's coffee table. Got the red maple slab cut to length, shimmed it all up and set up the routing sled so I can start leveling it today. Plan is to level the top, tape it, then flip it over and pour the epoxy, then level that side, then do another pass on the top.

The comment about teaching boys to be like Martha Stewart reminded me that in my Freshman year of High School we had 1 boy who was able to get in to Home Ec (they normally wouldn't let boys take it and wouldn't let girls take woodworking or any of the "masculine" electives-- so when I moved out of the hellhole & went to a better school I took weightlifting, woodworking, electronics, etc-- stuff they would not allow me to take here and some they didn't even offer here). Anyway, the one guy in the class made himself an apron & was super proud of himself. He wore it all the time in class. One day the idiot teacher turned on an oven with a box of pizza in it (it was her pizza). It caught on fire. She opened the oven, pulled it out, and shoved the flaming box into the arms of a student. The student then ran to the door, someone opened it for her, and she threw it in the trash can. The trash can melted, fire alarm went off, and school did its fire drill stuff. Some guys saw the boy with his apron and started mocking him. And he said something along the lines "Why would I want to be stuck in a sausagefest with you when I can be here surrounded by the ladies? Women love a man who can cook!" so several of the girls started leaning on him and swooning just to piss off the jocks. He wasn't a creeper so he didn't hit on the girls but he was pretty popular with them. In my other school, boys learning to cook and sew was not considered abnormal or "feminine".

Nothing wrong with boys learning life skills. I mean, not all of them are going to move out of the house straight in with a woman so they will need to know how to do basic stuff for themselves like cooking, cleaning, and laundry.

I'm supposed to go to samsclub today but it's raining and thundering. Road is going to be a $#itshow.

I forgot to mention something funny from the last time we visited my friend. Apparently his 9-yr-old daughter heard us knocking. She was half asleep and said "Dad, someone's f***ing knocking at the door" Friend: "What?" Kid: "Someone's knocking at the door". She didn't even realize she said it. He thought it was funny and didn't get upset bc he knows her mother talks like that. I mean, the mother calls her son a "f***ing retard" to his face & constantly swears around and at the kids.

Last night Fippy (the chiweenie) was on one of my pillows. He rolled on his back so I put a folded sheet over him (not over his face) to keep him warm. Had him all tucked in. But then a cat that weighs about the same as him decided the sheet was there to be his bed and sat on the poor dog. Dog was growling but couldn't sit up to snap at the cat. I had to get up and asked him "Do you want to go see mommy?" then watched him struggling to get out from under the cat to follow me. It took a minute but he finally got free.

One of the first things I did was have someone try calling my number. No ringing. I think it was off and charging. Or it ran out of battery. If it's in the middle of the house even fully charged it won't ring though. No signal.

I had some leftover garlic parmesan roasted potatoes (gravel size) so I placed some in two muffin pan cups and baked for 16 minutes. Pressed pockets in the potatoes added eggs and baked another 16 minutes. Simple low mess meal.

I had bratwurst with sauerkraut... it wasnt yummy. However, with my stomach issues nothing is anymore.
You'd think I would lose a few pounds since I have to force myself to eat these days.... but nope, here I am still fat and sassy lol

I made aloo gobi (another Indian dish, this one made with potatoes and cauliflower; I also added peas and garbanzos). It was good but not even close to that tikka masala I made last night. Tomorrow should be easier, it's Mexican night (nachos edition!) and that's harder to screw up because I have way more experience making it. Kind of a nice break from two relatively challenging recipes in a row, honestly.

After dinner my son and I started routing the slab flat for the coffee table. It was fun but very messy and somewhat tedious. We didn't get that far, maybe 1/5 of the way; it's a seven foot long slab of red maple.

I made aloo gobi (another Indian dish, this one made with potatoes and cauliflower; I also added peas and garbanzos). It was good but not even close to that tikka masala I made last night. Tomorrow should be easier, it's Mexican night (nachos edition!) and that's harder to screw up because I have way more experience making it. Kind of a nice break from two relatively challenging recipes in a row, honestly.

After dinner my son and I started routing the slab flat for the coffee table. It was fun but very messy and somewhat tedious. We didn't get that far, maybe 1/5 of the way; it's a seven foot long slab of red maple.
What precious memories for your son to carry through life!

I had to change several lighbulbs that had recently gone out. It is not a tricky matter but considering how picky my wife is with lighbulbs and the cathedral ceiling in our bedroom it was an exciting thing to get out of my todo list.

Other than that, I ordered some gardenias and weed fabric for the backyard landscaping project. I will be having the contractor do it but ordering several of the things myself saves a ton! Thanks to Spicoli43's tip, I scored a Dewilt P5 6'x250' roll + staples for ~$100 which will be enough for the entire project (maybe with a bit of leftovers) and the contractor took $320 out of his cost. More than $200 savings. WOW!
:bow:

I still haven't taken the updated pictures but I will get them, I promise.

I'm not much of a cook. I mostly do microwave meals. I can do a little cooking on the stove but it takes for frickin' ever for water to boil here. Fun fact: The lower elevation you are the longer it takes for water to boil. It boils so much faster in Albuquerque. I never use the oven (but it doesn't work anyway). Wish I could cook some of the stuff you guys made. I could probably learn but I hate cooking.

I got a bit excited because some other friends (the ones who got screwed by a seller of a house who knew it was condemned but didn't tell them & then left the state before they could sue him) found someone who is willing to buy the place (knowing it's condemned) and are going to fix up another place (I think a trailer but am not certain). Anyway, they are going to get some of the cabinets from Surplus Warehouse so I've volunteered to paint them when they pick a paint color.

Got up early this morning and went to Samsclub with my brother. We had planned to stop at Panda after but they are closed on Tuesdays now. We killed an hour waiting for it to open (since I had forgotten it was Tuesday) by going to BooksAMillion. We were bummed when we found it was closed and then decided to try IHOP since we hadn't gone in years. I joked with my brother that we were going to get "the big breakfast".

The pumpkin spice pancakes tasted like regular pancakes so I was disappointed. I got ham, eggs over easy, and hash browns. My brother got a bunch of pancakes and was singing "I'm gonna regret ordering the big breakfast". I almost had the waitress move us to another table because there was a nearby booth with a small child who kept shrieking. She wanted the ketchup and her mother opened it to pour some on a plate but the kid held out her hands. She thought the kid wanted to eat it off of her hands so she poured some in to her hands and the kid started rubbing her hands together. Her dad said "No! Its not lotion!" When the food arrived she put ketchup on her eggs. Gross. LOL.

Still can't find my cat or my phone. :-(

I'm going to have to try looking tomorrow during daylight.

@zannej Water boils at 212° at sea level so simmering at sea level actually cooks faster that simmering at high altitudes. That's the science behind pressure cookers, raising the boiling point above 212°.

Pics of the red maple please!
In good time, in good time.
What precious memories for your son to carry through life!
Thanks, yeah I hope so too. I try to let him do as much as I think he can safely handle, making sure he understands where something could go if it slips, how to remain alert, etc. In my garage he does a lot of sanding, filing, planing, clamping and (manual) screwdriving on his own even without my supervision, and with supervision he's learning to hammer nails. He's not yet 5 so it's bit by bit right now. He's great at fetching and returning tools though!

Tonight when we routed the slab it was in my neighbor buddy's basement shop and I didn't want to make my neighbor nervous, so I had to make sure my son was about 1.5x to 2x as far from any spinning blades as I'd probably normally let him stand. Eventually I got the sense that my neighbor realized my son was both comfortable and wary around noisy power tools, so I could have him hold the vacuum tube and follow behind the router, trying to catch as much as he could. He still got completely covered in sawdust, he looked hilarious.

Back