What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been able to make pancakes successfully. Ended up with scrambled pancakes.

I got in touch with my friend. Brought him out and he checked everything. Jet pump is ok but the belt was slipping. Turns out the new belt (despite supposedly being the same size) was just a little bit too long. So we had to go with one an inch shorter. But now the piston end is knocking and the motor end is shaking. It might be worth it to have the pump guy come out and look at it just in case. My friend said the piston end should be replaced. I don't know if the wheel comes off of it or how to get the right size/type. I'll have to see if there is any writing on the piston end later. Right now I need to take a nap and see if this headache will go away. For now the water is full of air and coming out brown.

Ugh!!! Covid land all day. I am pretty sure that I alone wore a minimum of 30+ isolation gowns today and at least 40 pairs of gloves. The entire floor was a 💩 show. Very sick people. 4 of my 5 patient were covid + and my other was RSV. I am completely and utterly exhausted, my Achilles tendonitis is VERY angry and I apparently need a waaaahhmbulance because I am so whiney. My back is on fire. If I had some 55° or less water, I would sit in it for a few and see if that helped. 3 days off..... carpet to put down and 5 ceiling fans to think about installing 🙄

My lovely chronic Achilles tendonitis is flared up today 20211003_223851.jpg20211003_223835.jpg20211003_215914.jpg

Shan, that sounds awful. All of my nurse friends have said how stressful this all is. I hope you will at least get one day of rest. I also hope the Achilles tendonitis will clear up. That looks painful. I gripe about my ankles but at least they don't do that. It is so frustrating to live with people who have no sympathy/empathy.

Fippy woke me up fussing at the cats. It's apparently not cold enough for more than 2 of them to pile on me. I'm going to try to rest until it's time to go into town. I hope Mom doesn't want to go early because I don't think my prescriptions will be filled until later.

My truck keeps doing a weird thing where when I first start it and start going over 20mph it hangs up and won't accelerate for a few seconds and then it will jolt and accelerate. It did it twice while my friend was in the truck with me & he said the throttle body probably needs to be cleaned. He said it's something he can do. I hope he's right.

Never heard back from the well service. Checked their FB pages and no posts since August 2018. I don't know if they are in business anymore. I want him to look at the pump to see if it can be fixed somehow. I don't want to run too much water until I know the motor isn't going to break.

I agree. Sometimes you need to take some time to rest and recover. Obviously you don't want to put things off for too long, but when your body is feeling that bad, it's time to rest and recoup.

I went to get mail and pick up some prescriptions. Talked briefly with a friend who works at Walmart. He told me an entertaining story about how when he first started working there he came from being a bouncer so he still had that ingrained. Said he was coming around a corner when he heard a customer yelling at two female employees (one of which was a supervisor) and shouting racial slurs at the subordinate employee. He started reaching over the counter to attack her when my friend thought "Oh HELL no!" and rushed over. He said just as the guy was about to reach the woman, he grabbed the back of the guy's head and slammed it down and bounced it off the countertop. Then he grabbed him by the arms, dragged him outside, and threw him on the ground in the parking lot. Everyone just stared at him in shock. Head of AP (asset protection got called in). AP guy reviewed the footage, laughed his a$$ off, deleted the footage and said "That never happened". Then told him he wasn't allowed to do that. The supervisor who'd been getting yelled at pulled him aside privately and told him he could have any days off he wanted, could have extra hours if he wanted, just tell her and no questions asked. He can call in whenever he wants without getting points.

I'm still laughing at the mental image of him bouncing the guy's head on the counter and tossing him outside.

That is hilarious! That's the kind of thing that brings a stupid lawsuit even though that's exactly what he had coming. Maybe Walmart should hire bouncers instead of greeters. Maybe flight attendants should be 6'4" former football players? Maybe people would act a little more civil.

That had to be 5 years ago or more, Z? I think your friend made it up, but at least it's entertaining. Heads only bounce in the WWE.

These days if the Walmart worker talked in a loud voice to the customer, said customer could file a report of aggression against the worker. Even if the aggressor is about to choke an employee, that doesn't mean they aren't having a bad day. Their feelings need to be appreciated and they need to be listened to and given free Jewelry and video games and must be allowed to loot the store.

It was more than 10 years ago apparently. I have actually seen people's heads bounce when they fell (in real life- not on TV)-- it's not just a WWE thing. But, I think it was more along the lines of he slammed the guy's head down and pulled him back up so it looked like a bounce. I don't think he was making it up. When this guy makes something up its way crazier (and you know it's made up bc of the way he tells it).

I feel sorry for the employees who are paid so little, often not allowed to take breaks (even though its in corporate policy) and then they have to put up with verbal and physical abuse from customers & managers. I think I mentioned the time some dude mistook me for an employee, screamed profanities at me, threatened me, got up in my face etc until I got annoyed enough to give him a death-glare directly in the eyes before he backed off.

Sadly, we have a system that rewards the people who complain unreasonably. I always try to be polite if I have a complaint.

I racked out before 11pm last night and managed to sleep through the night. Woke up around 7. The female cardinal is back and throwing herself a Mom's bedroom window again so Mom was lying in bed with her eyes open. Yesterday morning the cardinal had banged in to the window at least 250 times before Mom lost track. The window is filthy on the outside so there's no reflection. Not sure why the bird wants in so badly. There must be something in the room she's seeing that she wants to get to.

Well, I will let you believe him, but being the prolific story teller he is, why haven't you heard that one before?

Walmart, Target, Amazon... All horrible places for employees. The Government should have made price fixing mandatory so the prices of everything was the same across the board. Dr. Evil wouldn't have gotten the upper hand to dominate business and put tons of Mom and Pops out of business simply because he could buy 100,000 of something at drastically reduced prices compared to the small stores.

I didn't do much yesterday (day off) I woke up to my tendon not as swollen and not as painful, I made a roast with carrots, potatoes and onions yesterday, it was really good. I put down some cheap indoor outdoor carpet and then tried to find a way to hang these led lights in my sons room to light his dry erase panel board. That was a failure.
Today though was a win. I hung the 1st of 5 ceiling fans. That install was MUCH smoother than any other I have done. I needed to paint the ceiling under the old ceiling fan, but it's in my storage unit temporarily and I wasn't going to lose momentum, so I will paint around it later. I bought a medallion for that very reason, but the screws holding the fan on the ceiling bracket were in the way. So, I'll just take it back. It would have looked really nice though. I thought about trying a second one, however.... I think I will be smart and not do that. Maybe next week or the week after.
I got the electric right and the fan hung with no problem at all. Went to move the ladder out of my room and forgot that my wirk stripper was on top and it fell and made a cut on my face🙄😳. The air coming off this ceiling fan is so wonderful 🥰🥰🥰

20211005_135635.jpg
That scar underneath is were I vomited, passed out and fell off the commode and smacked my face on the bathtub in January 2020. I AM RIDICULOUS!!

Attachments

• 20211005_132602.mp4
    6.8 MB
Spicoli, he's a relatively new friend. We met him through mutual friends & with the all the crap going on we don't get to talk to him for long periods of time.

Shan, ouch! I hope it heals quickly. At least you got the ceiling fan up. Since my door stays partway open, one of my fat cats has been sitting on top of it. I forgot about it when I was heading to the bathroom. I opened the door wider and she fell on my head.

I reached out to the well service guy on FB and I think his wife or mother replied & said they would have him check his voicemail. He called while I was out so my mother took the call. He's supposed to come out tomorrow to look at the pump and we can discuss any upgrades/changes. He didn't say what time though, so that may kill my plans to go to Samsclub tomorrow.

I got mail & popped in to State Farm to get the cards for the truck reprinted since the old cards expire on Thursday. Mom lost the new cards. I briefly asked about the check they denied & they said their checks are only good for 6 months (but there was nothing on the paperwork indicating that). She said if I can find the info they will re-issue the check.

I hung out with my friend for a bit but then another friend dropped her kids off for him to babysit. Kids are loud and annoying so I decided to head out (it was time to get food for mom anyway).

Been having a toothache but can't tell which tooth is the problem. It seems to be from the bottom but all my bottom ones have been fixed. Have a headache and neck pain too so I took some naproxyn.

Earlier I was in the room when we got a scam call from India.
my brother picked up. Conversation went as follows:
Bro: *picks up phone* "Meow"
Scammer: "Hello?"
Bro: "Meow"
Scammer: "I'm calling from Medicare, how are you today?"
Bro: "The inside of my a$$hole itches, but otherwise I'm fine"
Scammer: *long pause* "Have you received your Medicare card for the year 2021?"
Bro: "Yes, it's resting under my balls right now."
Scammer: *hangs up*
Bro: "He hung up on me! How DARE he hang up on me! I answered all of his questions! How RUDE!"
Me: *laughs hysterically until I start coughing*

Sadly, we have a system that rewards the people who complain unreasonably. I always try to be polite if I have a complaint.
I don't think that politeness is a requirement when making well-founded complaint. In many cases, I found that it may actually be worse because others think that they can just ignore or steamroll you without consequence. I think that it is important to be respectful yet assertive. I understand that whoever is on the receiving end is a person too so I will give them respect and the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. When complaining about a business it is important to further emphasize that my issue is with the business and/or their practices and not them per se.

Went to move the ladder out of my room and forgot that my wirk stripper was on top and it fell and made a cut on my face🙄😳.

Ouch! We all need to keep safety in mind especially since we often do these things by ourselves without someone to help and cover our 6.

ekrig, since I worked in customer service before I always try to be kind when dealing with CS employees. I actually had some of the people thank me for being patient about things and I did get discounts/refunds etc because they were relieved to have someone treat them like human beings. That doesn't always work though.

Well service guy showed up around 1:15pm. He tightened some screws on the pump. Told me the shaking was normal-- it has some sort of rubber buffers to keep it from shaking the stand it sits on, but he tightened it up so it doesn't shake as much. He refused to take any money since he said he only did two turns of a screw & didn't feel that was worth charging for. Then he left for his next job.

Went to Sams but my brother couldn't help with the heavy lifting since his back was hurting. He sat in a recliner while I did the shopping. He did help unload stuff. There were two things on the list that weren't in the store.

Scammer claiming to be from Medicare called again & Mom answered. She called him a scammer so he started swearing at her.

I'm tired & have a headache so I'm about to take a nap.

Today..... I fixed a rogue outlet in the bedroom.that I put the OSB down in. The out is original maybe? The wires were poked through the back 🙄😳..... however, 1 white wire had popped loose, explains why everything down stream was iffy. All seems well in the electric world in that room. I was going to hang another ceiling fan. However... my son that lives with me (27) is not sure where he put my electrical kit and I am absolutely not messing with the electric in that ceiling without it. It has never had anything attached to it since I bought the house (2007). My oldest didn't want a light/fan, so I never bothered with it.
Maybe next week, I can hang that one. Also.... I think I am going to change some ceiling lights out for these low profile ones. It will help me not feel like I live in such a gross place.
Isn't it weird how our minds perceive things? That's a rabbit hole that it is entirely too late to go down. Lol

I'm glad you got it fixed, Shan. Hopefully you can get the rest of the stuff fixed. I need to replace some very old outlets in my house.
Headache is back. Mom is being surprisingly nice. Brother has been sleeping. ESO game launcher took a crap so I can't play. Been trying for hours to get it to load. I can't re-download the whole game because I don't have enough bandwidth. Might have to take the computer to my friend's house tomorrow to get it sorted.
I might just go to the workshop and paint something for the hell of it.

Still no sign of my missing cat or my phone. I think I'm going to call AT&T and cancel that line since I can't use it anymore and I'm not getting a new phone anytime soon.

My cat Bethesda is sitting in the sun soaking up the warmth and looking happy-- right in front of my computer screen so I can't see all that I'm typing.

We finally have an option other than the wax ring for toilet installation. how many years did it take to get here?

I was just thinking how about a redesign for switch and receptacle installation. The side screws are essentially the same as they were in the day of porcelain switches and receptacles · · · my thought would be for screw connections to be made in the rear of the box before the device is inserted to mount on stabs.

I was telling my son, that electrical wires seem barbaric in as far as technology. He actually seemed interested so I was telling him what way you put the wire in conjunction with the direction the screw turns, showed him over to remove some of the sheath and why. We talked about how you need to understand which wires are coming into the box and which are going out. I was surprised that he listened without being a smart *** in the meantime.

At work today, one of the nurses found a painful lump or k ot on my back in the area where alot of the pain has come from in the past 2 years. So I had her draw a circle around the base with a sharpie. Its flat and not red, however, it is pretty painful. Guess while I have temporary art in the right sport, I will see if my PCP will take a look.
I was on the Joint Center today, had one hip replacement and 3 spine surgery patients, discharge 3 of them and got a spinal stimulator around shift change. Pretty decent day all in all.
I am tired. I can't wait until October 26 so I can be off for a 10 days (I believe)

Shockingly my mother was actually very nice to me all day. She could tell I wasn't feeling well. Had a bad headache and she actually asked if I was ok. Itsy was trying to cheer me up. First she brought me a mouse, then she kept licking my forehead and cuddling me. She leapt from the coffee table to my lap to get cuddles when I was on the couch. When I was standing she jumped from the floor into my arms because I didn't notice her talking to me. LOL. Got the game launcher thing fixed. Had to load some sort of file for windows. Boo is now on me and purring away.

I survived! Lol
It wasn't that bad. Had a polyp in my stomach and IBS related to PTSD. Next I am having a gastric emptying study.
Enjoyed my little nap when I got home. My back is trying to go out again like it did last year. I am not looking forward to that and happy a few days off will relieve it.
Hope all is well with you all

Back