What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother finally called after 4:30pm. I went and picked him up and headed back home. Cooked for mom, fed the dogs, got more food for mom, and now I'm resting. My body doesn't want to move well today.

Vacuuming, dusting and polishing. Here's a view of my master bath built-in cabinet. My own unique door design. BTW did I mention that I like antique red?

1027211644.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie, I love the red color. The doors are very cool!

Yesterday I went to samsclub. Meant to go in the morning but it rained all morning & lulled me to sleep. So I went around 3pm. Renewed the samsclub membership and got what was on the list. Went home & was exhausted. Slept most of the day today still feeling bleh. Then friend messaged and said his debit card is frozen until tomorrow & he's out of food stamps. His mom "borrowed" his card saying she needed only "a couple of things" from the grocery store. They just wanted bread, milk, and some meat to cook for tonight, which wasn't a big deal. His gf said the next time his mom asks about food stamp card she'll tell her its used up for the month.

Friend found out the Kenmore dishwasher he got from his grandfather doesn't work & they don't sell parts for it anymore but his mom said a place she just cleaned out has a similar one that works (owner just upgraded to something shiny & new) & she'll bring it by tomorrow.

I had a sudden burst of energy and started cleaning the old Kenmore fridge. I can't remember when we got it but I think it was in the late 1980s and that it survived the tenants somehow. We moved it aside but were still using it when we got our newer fridge circa 2005. My brother ate so much we needed 2 fridges. Once hurricane Laura hit I had to clean out all the food from it but didn't get all the leaky grossness that melted in there out. It is now full of small dead flies (I turned it back on when power came back on & turned cold up to max to freeze them all). After a few weeks I unplugged it to reduce our power bill as we hadn't put anything in it and I figured we could learn to get less stuff (less to clean out). It's taking up space in the kitchen & I want to get rid of it.

I mentioned to Spicoli I have two thoughts.
1. Clean it up myself and sell it on swap shop or marketplace for like $20 (as is and warning to flush out icemaker/water parts thoroughly- no guarantee of operation as its sat for a long time). I'd have to drag it outside and have someone pick it up.
2. Haul it outside & have my friend's mom bring the late veterinarian's son out to help her load it up and she can clean it out and sell/trade it. I don't really want her knowing where I live though-- although she's unlikely to come back out again. But the vet's son already knows where I live and once tried to ride my late horse (I say tried because the horse dumped him - first by sitting and then by kneeling).

I suppose I could get a couple of friends help me load it into the truck & haul it into town to have someone come pick it up (but I'd have to transport it upright to not mess it up).

Having my friend's mom haul it and clean it would save me effort and time. My back kinda gave out on me while I was cleaning it and I didn't get lower spots and still haven't cleaned the sides of the seals or the inside yet. If I get it cleaned up though, I could potentially make $20.

@Spicoli43 are you wanting a paste that you can make things with or a substance more like goji or a bar with pumice in it to get the grit off?

Like Fast Orange, Pumice but liquid enough for a pump. I have to analyze what is what in the Fast Orange ingredients besides the Orange of course, and the chemicals. I don't know if the pumice is the scrubbing agent. I have all Winter to figure it out, just wondering if you knew.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellane.../permatex-fast-orange-hand-cleaner/441667_0_0

I never liked the orange scented cleaners. I prefer lemon. I guess because I grew up with lemon-scented Pledge & cleaners.

Yesterday I picked up mail and cooked. My brother was hungry late last night so I suggested he could have "some" of the leftover potato soup. He got out the container and ate ALL of it.

Then last night I tried to cook grilled cheese sandwiches in a pan my brother pretty much ruined (but only one we have in that size) and they kept sticking to the pan, the grilled crust part came off and it turned in to a scrambled mess. My brother ignored my mother when she said not to cook those pans on max heat (bc the instructions for the pans said they couldn't be put on that setting) and burned stuff into the pans. I managed to scrub them off, but it took off whatever smoothness the pans had for nonstick properties.

I might just haul the fridge outside (with my friend's help since my brother indicated he is not willing to help me move it since he's a jerk) and see if someone on marketplace wants it. Might also post on the swap shop.

Meanwhile my friend has asked me to help him re-design his office as a nursery for the baby. Not much space in there though. It's a small room and I don't know where he's going to put some of the stuff from it (like the small freezer).

So...... I am such a whiny baby today. Today is my birthday. I turned 50 😳. My oldest still hasn't told me happy birthday. My other 2 have and my mom has, and friends coworkers have. But him not has put me in a bad mood.
I even got a birthday text from someone who has refused to talk to me at all for 5 years, except for Happy Birthday every year.
He has his best friend in from Wisconsin (?), and his mother just received a bad diagnosis. Which could explain it, however... this is repeat behavior, he often has to be reminded or I have to be an ***. So, this year. I have decided to not say anything to him.
This is 100% NOT what I had envisioned for my 50th birthday. And I have told myself that whining over the 1 person, child or not, should NOT superceded the 75 fb happy birthdays or my other 2 children, mom bff and even the estranged friend..... so, it's taken me all day, but I am choosing to be happy anyways.

I ordered pizza hut for dinner, made my own cake (just realized i havent iced it yet 🤣🤣). Pizza hut didnt have pepsi🤦🏼‍♀️. Which is ok, I quit drinking it a year ago, just thought it would be nice treat.

I watched the documentary on amazon video called "Heal" and it is what caused me to change my headspace. I am not currently in therapy because they are not in my enhanced network and are $180 per session 😳, so.... 5 years worth of work and I have to start over. Maybe that's a good thing, idk yet. We shall see.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.
I am going to have a gastric emptying study in the morning. So.. yeah for radioactive scrambled eggs.... lol

Happy Birthday, Shan! I'm sorry your son didn't remember. I've had birthdays like that where only FB friends knew it was my b-day bc it notified them but none of my family remembered. This year even my FB friends didn't remember. My sister forgot what the date was and called he next day though. LOL. I think with the way things are, people are forgetting what the date is. But it still doesn't feel good. I hope you get feeling better. I tend to be depressed on my birthdays so it's good that you've decided to be happy. Hope the gastric thing goes well. It does not sound fun.

I stayed home and did nothing but sleep, clean, and cook. Ok, I played with sketchup a little bit. I put in the door my friend added to the office off of his kitchen. He messaged me a few minutes ago and said he figured out why none of the electric was working in Lulu's kitchen area-- some cretin stole the damn breaker. Probably the deadbeat tenant (former friend) who wrecked the place and had to be evicted.

He also sent me pics of the living room that has been re-arranged in Lulu's trailer. Now I need him to send me more measurements from his office.

My daughter came over today and I put her to work helping me clean out my 1/2 bath aka storage room, tossed a bunch of stuff. I worked her hard and then gave her $50. I might do that again in a couple of weeks.

Had the gastric emptying study this morning, I had to stay the entire 4 hours as there was still a decent amount of food in my stomach even at 4 hours.

Tomorrow I take my mom for the PT eval. I hope she can withstand all that they do during the eval, and I hope they can withstand the sassiness lol. I will be in the car.

I have not gotten to make any soap or salves or whipped butters or lip balms while I have been off. These massages are great. However the recovery is a doozey and the spasms are just as potent. However, I feel more relaxed.... if that even makes sense. My next one is schedule for Wednesday.

Shan, I'm glad your daughter came to help (even if you had to pay her). I am tempted to pay someone to help me clean up here. My brother has been dropping empty water bottles all over the floor in the front room.

Went to walmart today and mom came along to see if they had any candy on clearance but it was all gone by the time we got there. One of he employees said he rounded a corner and a woman grabbed two full armfulls of reeses pumpkins then hissed at him like a feral opossum. Said there was a feeding frenzy about to happen. LOL. But we did get rotisserie chicken. I'm expecting Mom to page me any minute now for more food.

So... the PT eval went ok. I did not get to stay in the car however. I have come to the conclusion that my mom is not capable of living in the present. They were asking about walking and my mom started talking about how she used to walk 3 miles every day. They got excited about that, so they asked how long ago it was. She said before she moved back up here (Ohio) from NC....... 20 YEARS AGO!!!
She did tell them she doesnt walk as much, however they knew that already because she is developing contractures from sitting on the edge of her bed all the time. Hopefully she will do the prescribed regimen, then we go back next week.

So..... the test I had on Monday. It was exactly as I had been suspecting. I have gastroparesis 🙄😳.
Also.... in looking through health files online. I was trying to find the xray that talked about my levoscoliosis. Curiosity got me when I saw the EKGs from surgery in 2018, so I looked at it and it shows an age indeterminate heart attack. So then, I went back further a few years and it said the same thing.... so, I go back to work on Friday and plan to have one of the cardiologist look at it. NOONE has ever said a thing to me about it, ever.😳. I may work in healthcare, but its disappointing at best sometimes.

I have another massage scheduled this afternoon and meds to pick up for this "new" problem. In reading, there is a possibility that my lapband has caused the problem, and I am already looking into getting rid of it.

I wish we could get to the bottom of this back problem so that I can get busy doing things I love to do.

You had a M.I. and they didn't tell you YOU HAD A M.I.??????!!!

Right? I mean, it could have just been a junk EKG, except for the one a few years prior to that that said the same thing.....

In general, makes no sense either because I have awesome cholesterol levels. My hdl is 80😳 and my total cholesterol was 121. LDL had finally made it out of the TEENS.

But... back to the gastroparesis..... I have a fault vagus nerve also, i pass out when i throw up. When I was a kid, I passed out when I got too hot. I am more than 75% convinced that this stupid lapband is an instigator. Prior to getting it, I passed out after throwing up 3 times. Since 2011 when I got it, I cant even tell you how many times it has happened. Thankfully January of 2020 was most recent, however, I threw up 3 times in just about 2.5 to 3 hours and wound up on the bathroom floor each time.
So..... I feel like this thing needs to come out. My insurance wont pay to remove it unless there's a problem or a need to switch to the sleeve. I really don't know that i want the sleeve, but am 100% sure I don't want the band. Also, I was ready that the sleeve can actually help with gastroparesis but I haven't researched it heavily.
I'll peruse the website you linked.

Had my massage today. I have been on vacation since the 26th of October, and no major projects or lifting or anything, she said my muscles in this problematic area are just as stiff and tight as when I work. She tried hard to rub out one knot in my upper back and it just wouldn't let go. I feel like a trigger point injection would be helpful, but these docs just want to call it fibro. It is very irritating.
I will say though... back to gastroparesis..... I have been saying for several years that I never get hungry and I swear I don't eat tons. I drink more liquids than I eat food, and this does make sense with gastroparesis. It has been an interesting read though.

My mom is trying to update her address with the Default depart of federal student loans. They had an address from when I was 12😳. Now she is mad at him because he was trying to help and she was flustered, so she got off the phone and was telling her bedroom how stupid the process was. She was an ACCESS PROGRAMMER.

My goodness gracious. I have a headache lol.
Tomorrow is my last day off before I have to go back to the grind. Hoping to take it easy!

Spicoli, you are right about some of the older parents not wanting to listen to anyone. I wish I could get my mom to walk more. Even though she used a riding cart in the store the other day she at least walked to the truck, walked into the store (after I dropped her off at the front) and walked back into the house. Other than that, she only walks from her room to the living room. Not really counting the short trip from her bed to the bathroom. I've seen her get up and get stuff for herself when she didn't know I was in the room. I guess it depends on how quickly she wants something or how she's feeling. Some days she will call me to come out of my room, walk through the hallway, through the kitchen, and then to the living room to get her something out of the fridge (which is right outside the door to the living room).

Shan, none of that sounds fun at all. I hope the doctors can get it all sorted. I wish I could say I'm surprised that they didn't tell you about a heart attack, but I found out my older doctors didn't tell me about mine either. And I'm pretty sure I know when I had my first one. Cardiologists don't handle female patients well, but I know of at least 2 cardiologists who don't treat any patients well. People were dying left and right with only one in town (either he moved/died or has been replaced though). I hope you get feeling better. Sending virtual hugs your way.

I stayed up all night playing ESO because they have a new expansion and I lost track of time. I was having so much fun. Then I napped until about 4pm. Got up and realized we had to go to Samsclub. Went there with my brother. I told him we were only getting a couple of things to make it quick. He decided to browse for other stuff but we got out fairly quickly. Then he insisted we had to go to walmart because he was out of 3 prescriptions & waited until he was out to call them in. I finally picked up mine.

Got McDonalds and they screwed up the order royally. Charged for double quarter pounders but only gave single. Put all the toppings on one that was supposed to be only cheese. I called them to tell them about the screwup and that we were driving back in to get re-makes. They remade everything just fine. Manager was mad that they only gave a single in a box that said double when the order clearly said double. But, they are rushed sometimes & they don't bother to train people so I wasn't mad.

Got tired of kitties in the front room flipping their water bowl over and spilling it. They were literally climbing the doors (glass paned ones) and screaming at me about it. So I grabbed a bowl that can't be flipped over to use. It holds less water, but it's better than the idiots flipping it all the time. They could not wait to drink the water. I refilled their food, then grabbed a 25lb to refill the bin in the pantry to feed the kitties in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back