What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Shan, low Cholesterol isn't good either. I have seen many Doctors talk about the ongoing Cholesterol myth, and many have said an Adult Male's perfect level is 200. Sorry, don't know the Women's level. It's just to sell drugs like every other "disease" when the body knows what it's doing. The "High" for Cholesterol used to be 280, then it was 260, then 240, 200, now they want it at 170 or something like that. Same with Blood Pressure. For a long time it was 140, now it's 130.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You have demonstrated you are just as much a victim as those that don't work in the medical field. They don't give you the secret codes either.

Z... Why don't you just do your stuff in town and then he can go get his stuff done? Plenty of time away from him.

My brother's truck won't start. His battery, which is still under warranty, seems to be bad. He's been dawdling on getting it taken out and replaced.

He just woke me up a few minutes ago because our friend is in the hospital/ER and will need someone to come pick him up when he's discharged. Something about kidney stones and I think a bladder tear. I know the kidney stones part for sure. I was still trying to wake up when he told me. I've had a lot of post-nasal drip/mucus from allergies (allergy meds are not strong enough) and my guts don't like me right now. I took some Pepto and am waiting for my intestines to settle.

Picked my friend up from the ER around 6:40 am. Pharmacy didn't open until 9 & he was drugged up so I curled up on the couch until around 8:40. My brother and my friend wanted to go to Walmart to pick up cranberry juice. So we went there and headed over to the pharmacy when it opened at 9. Waited 10min for prescription to be filled and my friend scheduled an appointment at the doctor for 10:15. Dropped him off, went back to Walmart to get fresh rotisserie chickens (they weren't ready when we had to leave). He was in pretty bad pain waiting for the stuff to kick in. Then took him to the doctor's appointment & then dropped him off at home, got home, unloaded stuff from the truck & put it away, I cooked for mom and then dissected the chickens (I put the meat in a ziploc bag), fed the cats, napped, cooked again, did some cleaning, cleaned mom's feet & applied anti-fungal cream to her toes.

Today we went to vote. Tax amendments. I think a bad one is going to pass because the verbiage is misleading. I read the ballotpedia full description of what it does. It makes it sound like it will allow for the legislation to have federal tax to be deducted from the taxable income for calculating state income tax and that state will be lowered by like half a percentage. BUT, the Louisiana constitution already has a provision to automatically deduct federal. That will be eliminated so it is not automatic and the legislators will have to vote on whether or not to allow such deduction in order for it to happen-- and the tax bill only affects people in lower income brackets so it doesn't affect them.

My brother was supposed to come with us but he decided that playing video games was more important than voting. He had a little tantrum about me stopping to move a branch out of the way of my truck when we were leaving so he went back inside to play games. So Mom and I stopped to eat and then went to visit my friend. Lots of people were over. The little kitten I saved stole a slice of pizza from one of the visiting kids. My friend's ex & her boyfriend were cleaning out one of the houses across the street bc they bought it and will be moving in. My friend's GF was so angry. She's fine with my friend's daughter being closer but she hates the ex. I told my friend I was worried that his ex would constantly be sending her sociopath son over all the time. Sure enough, she sent him over and he just walked into the house like he owned the place without being invited and then locked himself in the bathroom with 3 little girls (one of them is his 9-yr-old half-sister and the other 2 were younger kids of a friend). My friend's gf lost her crap over it and was screaming at him to unlock the door and let the girls out right then. Apparently the 9-yr-old unlocked the door and they all came out. GF chewed the boy out about how he is not allowed in a locked bathroom with girls (he molested his sister in the bathroom a couple years ago and had been sneaking into her room to beat her up and do stuff too her-- but CPS refused to remove her since it was another child doing the abuse & not an adult). The sociopath just stared at her stupidly. He then ran into my friend's bedroom and started jumping on the bed. My friend was too out-of-it from the kidney stones to do much. Finally the ex's bf came over and told the kid to come with him. When my friend is feeling better I'll need to talk to him about making sure the brat doesn't come over all the time. While he was there he plugged in his tablet without even asking. He'll be over there using my friend's electricity nonstop if he's allowed.

The kitten sat on my mom's lap when not stealing pizza. LOL. I sooo want to bring him home. He's such a good kitty.

Got home and cooked for Mom and now I can't get to sleep.

My friend's gf messaged me whining that her nephew claimed my friend's ex's brat was trash-talking her & that she planned to go over there to chew him out. His complaint was that she's a b****. The thing is, its true. I had to remind her that she's legally an adult and he's only 12. Plus she got this from her nephew who might have been lying. As an aside, her nephew trashtalks her all the time. I told her that going over there to get into a beef with a kid is immature & would cause drama that isn't necessary. This isn't middle school, she needs to act like an adult. I did say that if the kid tries to come over she can tell him he's not welcome there (because really, he's not welcome there-- my friend HATES this kid and doesn't want him hanging around). Kid has no respect for people or their property. Pretty sure the ex will be sending him over there all the time now that she's moved in across the street. She can't abide watching her own kids (even though she's unemployed, doesn't cook, doesn't clean, and doesn't do anything but sit on her behind all day).

LeeD, I had a similar day. I slept almost the entire day. Only got up to cook for Mom and now I'm ready for another nap. Chronic fatigue sucks. The kitties are happy that I'm being their heater though.

2-jpg.9513

1-png.9508

and My cat must not be able to tell time he starts staring at his food bowl at 4:30 PM.

Last edited:
Well... today has sucked.
I cried myself to sleep last night because I am .miserable and mentally and emotionally drained.
My mom had an appt at 945 this morning, it's too early and she has a terrible time getting ready. I told her that we were going to be late and that they would likely cancel the appointment. She never listens. I had my son put her wheelchair in the car for me, I couldn't physically do it myself. I knew on the way over what was going to happen, but I kept my mouth shut. She needs to bear the consequences of her actions. So... we get there to register at 950, 8 people in front of her. 1012, we get up there and they tell her her appt is canceled as a no call no show. She tried to male excuses to get them to feel bad and they tell her to go to the window of that office. We go to that window, he is super booked for the day and they have no openings. She tries the victim route again and it doesnt work. Reschedule in December now.
We had a talk about life on the way home. I know this is all hard on her. However, she makes it harder on herself and I am a realist.
I am exhausted. She woke me up at 115 this morning. She wouldnt let me do her laundry as she says she is capable... so she attempts it. Leaves her oxygen behind on the way back and is screaming "I need my mouth piece, I need my mouth piece". I wake up startled because I take meds to help me sleep. I am trying to figure out what is wrong, she keeps repeating herself but my eyes arent working yet. I finally realize her tubing is going towards the living room, and she has no oxygen on her.

I worked the last 3 days. I am mentally and physically spent. Now emotionally. I havent left work anywhere near on time.
I know that I cant physically do this, but i have great insurance and need to keep it until i figure out what's wrong and my daughter has her surgery.

Ugh! Sorry that was so long, i just needed to vent.
I hope everyone else is having a good week so far.

Shan... Sorry you have to go through that, but you have to remain as happy and stress free as possible because as we discussed, there is nothing you can do about it. It's almost like there is a "saving face" code when parents get older that we don't know anything and admitting we do know something breaks that code. I wasn't successful with my parents, and I don't know anyone that has been.

Time changes are one of the most idiotic things, and they aren't needed anymore for some reason. I am not interested enough to look it up, but I have considered moving to Arizona literally for that reason.

Shan, sending virtual hugs your way. My mom has actually been more reasonable lately. Only had one tantrum in the past week. It sounds like you may need to get some sort of home healthcare support for your mom. She may be against it, but I'm sure you could use the assistance. I had a friend who didn't really want a caregiver but needed one. When the caregiver first came in, she tried to take care of the caregiver. Wanted to make her coffee, cook for her etc. The caregiver had to say "No! I"m here to take care of you! You need to rest up and heal!" Fortunately, she listened and the lady took good care of her up until the end.

I know how it is to get woken up and be super groggy, but at least I'm not busting my hump at a hospital all day like you've been doing. Even if your mom resists, is there any way you can get her insurance (if she has any) to cover someone to come help with her sometimes?

The heater in the house can't make up it's mind whether it wants to warm the place or let it remain cold. I woke up sweating like crazy & it was too warm but now it is cold again. We have no heat registers in the house-- only a thermostat in the hallway where the AC ducting sits in the cubby. I've resumed cleaning my mom's feet and putting anti-fungal cream on. I'd stopped for awhile because I got too tired and I was going to bed before she was. Last few days I've gone in before she was asleep and asked if she wanted her feet done. It does hurt my back to bend to do them, but she needs it done and can't do it herself.

Spicoli, I HATE time zone changes.

Yesterday I got up early & took my brother to get a new battery for his truck. It was still under warranty & was replaced for free. I got my mom a star wars toy on clearance (she collects them so it made her happy).

Right now I'm sitting here surrounded by sleeping cats. I've been looking up patterns/tutorials to try to come up with a design for thumbhole cuffs that go up the thumb a bit (sort of like a half-thumb cover) and cover the fingers a little bit more (but don't have fabric between the fingers). I'm trying to think of how to modify one of the patterns to have a half-thumb added for a little more warmth.

Well, last night the Cat felt that nobody had to sleep, so she was playing jump on me, jump on the chair, jump on the dog and run and hide in her Fort... I watched it the 4th time, it was completely premeditated.

So, I'm going to play a game... Catch a Cat, Prepare a Cat, Marinade a Cat and BBQ a Cat.

Woke up to find the power was out. Called it in and found out later it was my 7.2 KV underground feed, I am backfeeding my panel now. The crew with the radar/thumper arrived 5hrs later. I told them if my generator was too loud for them to hear the thumper to let me know. They found the problem it's closer to the pole and on someone else's property. I hope it don't take too long to splice.

That's a cool cat bed. I saw a tufted leather dog bed that resembles a chesterfield style couch. LOL. Well, there were a few of them. Waaay too expensive to get. My dogs like cat beds and my pillows & blankets anyway. They tore up an old memory foam one though-- dug into it to make a pit to sleep on.

Took my brother to the voting place because GPS doesn't have the road name properly. They keep changing the name/spelling. Apparently at some point it was Cherry Witchie then it got changed to Cherrywince and now it is Cherrywinchie. Not sure if people kept spelling the sign wrong or what. But It's spelled Cherrywinche on the voter's portal.

I ran out of space on my phone for pictures and videos so I had to go through and delete some. Need to do more later on but I got in to watching some of them and saw pets I no longer have and it made me sad.

Grabbed stuff at Walmart and then got breakfast from McDonalds.

Waiting for mom to wake up so I can cook for her.

Eddie, do you have any links to those videos? I'd love to figure out how to make a miter sled for my tablesaw.

I did major cleanup in the kitchen yesterday. Got a good chunk of the trash out, now there are old dishes that the raccoons threw down that I need to clean and put away. Since the buggers were up in the cabinets I need to clean the cabinets as well. I haven't had any help so I've procrastinated on it. Today I've been helping my brother clean his room. Mostly just holding a trash bag up for him and moving it closer as he moved across the room. Back wasn't cooperating much with bending and picking stuff up myself. He hugged me and thanked me for helping. He agreed to help me with the kitchen cleanup afterward. I took another naproxyn since the first one didn't seem to work. Also remembered to take my magnesium vitamin since I have been forgetting and it helps with muscle pain. I want to get all the countertops cleaned up, get dishes (mostly tupperware junk) put away, and then get the old fridge out to clear up some space. Eventually we plan to get the kitchen table out as we haven't sat at it to eat a meal since my father died in 2009. It's just a big obstacle that we stack boxes on now. I think there may be room for it in the workshop if we clean up the workshop more. Worst case it can fit in the loft up there. The leaf for the center is in one of the closets-- that can be moved down to the workshop. The cats like to sleep on the chairs so at least some of those can stay, but others can go down to the workshop with the table. We have folding tables we can pull out should we ever need.

I'm taking a break and resting my back. I think my brother is taking a break and playing with the kitties in the front room. They are full grown now, but we still call them "the kittens".

So... still getting my massages weekly. Thise are great. I changed muscle relaxers last week, the massage therapist said she thought that my muscles definitely felt less stiff and tight (I had had 2 doses then) so now.... 5 days later. I am happy to report that I haven't been in tears for a week. I have woken up much less stiff that I had been, and have had only a few mild spasms. I get another massage this Friday. Last week my back felt like it was trying super hard to pop while she was massaging it. We are going to continue back, but also work with hips and my left calf and achilles tendon soon.
I worked 2 days in a row and didn't have a mental breakdown. I also had my charting done before 2pm and didn't stay past giving report.
However, I do think that I need to seriously consider a different job. There are no openings that I am interested in at my facility. So... I need to really search my heart and mind and come up with a game plan.

My mom has gotten ready both physical therapy days since the MD appointment that she missed. And I have stayed out of her way and not mentioned times about any of them since the incident. We apparently have an oxygen tank shortage in my area. I ordered 6 tall tanks, 6 small tanks, a few keys and another regulator. They brought 6 small tanks, no tall tanks, no keys, and a concentrator. The lady at the office is a b!^*h. And now I gotta call her again 🤦🏼‍♀️.
Hopefully my back continues to get better, because it has definitely taken its toll on me. It has also made me aware of my stomach issues now that it has eased up. This gastroparesis stuff is for the birds. I have been reading about lapband and gastroparesis and the band definitely needs to go. So... we will finish pursuing that soon.

I found out my portable 8" RAS is no longer portable. I was able to get it into my drive but couldn't hoist it on to my table sawhorse. I had planned to rip some ½ scrap plywood into 5" wide strips for kitchen island drawer construction. I will use my 10" RAS in my shop area but I don't usually move it off 90°.

I did a 3 day fast, finished on Monday night. The goal was to heal my guts, I know I have Ulcers / IBS whatever, don't need an Endoscopy to tell me that. The fast consisted of 16 ounces of liquid an hour. There was no caffeine allowed. I mostly drank Organic Herbal Teas, had some Bone Broth with added Collagen Peptides and usually drank 8 ounces of water here and there with a dash of Himalayan Pink Salt on my tongue and a TSP. of Coconut Oil for energy / stabilization. I had a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar here and there and some Organic EV Olive Oil.

Being that I had no Sugar going in, the inevitable crash would happen, thus the Coconut Oil to ward that off. I decided I wasn't going to drive anywhere during the 3 days because I know what I'm like behind the wheel without Caffeine. The first 2 days were easy, and I didn't really get the "this is getting real old" feeling until about Hour 67.

When it was over, I had an Organic Grass Fed Protein shake and went to bed. I did cheat yesterday with those little Lindt Chocolate ball things, as the 14 days after the fast are supposed to be just cooked Vegetables with no sugar at all. (Chicken allowed, No Beef)... Have you ever had 14 days of mushy Sweet Potato and Carrot etc. since you were 15 days old? NO... Nobody has since the existence of Time. Even starving Cave Man would be divorcing Cave Woman over THAT! You know why the Hammer and Chisel were invented? Divorces, that's why.

I didn't cheat because "This sucks so bad, I need Sugar"... I cheated because those 67 hours were easy, I can repeat at least a 30 Hour fast whenever I feel like it without even sweating it. I was used to a 20 hour plus regular fast that I have done on and off for years, so maybe I'm "trained" up for the marathon so to speak...

Today, I was wondering if the cheating reset me back to square 1, so I had my usual 30 ounce Black Coffee. Normally, my guts would be screaming, but Coffee is my thing so I dealt with it... I have ZERO gut pain from the COFFEE, and the general pain is around a 1, when it was always a 6 or 7 before. I would call that a success for what it is, and I will probably have no issues going forward if I stick true to my OG Paleo type diet and avoid the chemicals in the processed foods that took my gut down in the first place.

Things I learned...

I Dropped 15 pounds, reduction in gut size. I can transition into a full on Low Fodmap diet for now / Transition into Paleo after a couple of weeks.

I craved Salt... Bigly... The need to supplement with good Himalayan Pink or Celtic Salt is noted. (NOT table salt). There is no way around that because there is a LOT of Urine created, understandably, which depletes all the minerals unless replaced.

No loss of energy, it isn't recommended to do anything more than a gentle walk around the block, but I could do normal household cleaning / dishes etc.

Commercial Bone Broth is possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted, as it's LOADED with Salt. I won't do that next time, opting to cook a Whole Chicken and drink the Broth with a pinch of Salt on my tongue if I feel like it. Chicken Broth from a whole Chicken is the way to go for continued gut maintenance, and it's free that way.

The Collagen Peptides drank in warm water isn't a picnic either, but it's much better than the Bone Broth. Considering both are Collagen building blocks that repair the gut lining, I don't know if I needed both or if using both was a 1-2 punch that repaired my gut completely / faster. I will probably never find that out, to which I don't care, but if I could do it over again from the start, I would have opted for the Peptides alone to see if that worked or just cooked a whole Chicken and drank the broth, saving the meat for after the fast.

I do know that a fast just drinking Herbal Tea and Water will be just that. There will be no gut healing without the Collagen, as I don't think the body can heal the gut with Green Tea. It needs GLUE.

I had some Acne issues. mostly because of "leaky gut", and the Acne is gone. I don't know if that would work for my 14 year old self.

I wouldn't do this if I was Diabetic, that requires work with a Functional Medicine MD or a Nutritional Consultant. The body WILL be in Ketosis no matter what, so that could be very bad with someone that is Diabetic. So that's the disclaimer if you choose to do something like this.

I would say you will probably want a lot of entertainment, be it internet / TV / Video games to pass the time. You might like people around if they are fasting, but might not like it if they are gorging themselves on your favorite foods.

Back