What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shan, I hope you can find a better job. It's tough right now to find the good jobs. A friend of mine who works in an oncology unit was telling me that they ran out of the right bottles for blood samples to do the 15minute blood tests so they have to use another kind that take much longer & that patients are having to wait hours because the blood has to clot before it can be spun & that it's so frustrating because the patients are already feeling terrible. Of course, she's the one who gets yelled at by patients and family over it.

Thanks for the video link, Eddie!

I've been finding things are harder to lift now. Wrists and arms are not cooperating. Legs don't want to raise high enough to step over things. Yesterday I could barely move. The 40s have finally hit my little brother. He's starting to feel his age and have aches and pains that I've had for years. Of course he brags about how he just "pushes through" but he really doesn't. He refuses to do anything. But, I know how it feels since I go through it all the time. I told him "welcome to my world". I started having those symptoms before my 40s.

I'm going to have to figure out what my mom wants for dinner. She was up earlier than usual so I made her lunch. Last night I heated myself up a spaghetti dinner thing. Took it in to the living room and had a bad coordination moment. Not sure how, but it flipped over and dumped on the floor. I sighed, ordered the dog to eat it, but she would only sniff at it. So I went to get Mom's dog. I picked him up from Mom's bed and carried him to the room-- which really confused him. Then I set him down in front of it and told him to eat it. The more interest Princess showed in it the more he wanted to eat it. So he cleaned it up for me. LOL. Yeah, I was that lazy (but I was having a hell of a time bending).

I really need to start doing some stretches and more exercise. Once I get the house cleaned up more I might look in to the DDP yoga stuff.

Does anyone remember the Bud "Real Men Of Genius" ads from the mid 2000's?

If not, you can listen to them on this link... The singer on the ads is the lead singer of the band Survivor, Known for the song "Eye Of The Tiger". I wrote around 50 or so of my own ads...

I sent a few examples of my ads to Bud, thinking they would like them and instead got a Cease and Desist letter... HAHAHHA... I can't sell them... Okay... Some of them are hilarious, for those that haven't heard them..

I wrote this one for my Sister and an Ex, both Miller Lite "drinkers"...

"Misses Miller Lite Not Really Drinker Bragger"

Budweiser presents Real Men Of Genius...

Today we salute you, Misses Miller Lite Not Really Drinker Bragger...

"I don't see no real Beer"...

When you reach your brave arm into the Ice Cold Water, you don't reach for a bottle turning Blue on the label or whatever, you reach for more Water in a bottle...

"It's really really funny tasting Water"...

You dance in your 1 square foot space, shoulders bopping, sweating to the 80's, no actual alcohol in your system...

"Please keep drinking absolutely nothing"...

Roll those shoulders, head nod lips out eyes closed uh huh yeah nobody's looking at you or anything...

"Groove on Misses really really weird non drinking dancer"...

Worlds are colliding, You are drunk on hopes, dreams and Beep Beep Boo Boo N/A beer has nothing on you.

"That Waterslide looks real fun Aye Carumba"

We're not saying you're not drunk because of not drinking alcohol or alcohol teleportation or whatever, we are saying you need to drink...

"Calm down Misses Tiny Space Miller Lite Kinda Dancing Drinker"

So crack open an Ice Cold Bud Light, Misses Miller Lite Drinker Bragger... Actually, take a whole case since your hat says Go Jets...

Real Men Of Genius,

Budweiser Beer,

St. Louis, Missouri.

That's funny, Spicoli. I'd never seen those ads. Of all the ads out there, I think my favorite are the Jack Links "Messin' With Sasquatch" ones. My dad laughed so hard at them. His favorite was the one with the loose salt cap. I forgot to mention, I prefer sea salt over regular table salt, but as a kid I would eat table salt. Mom made some Xmas ornaments out of some salty dough. Years later she was saying "I wonder what happened to them" and I said "They were delicious". She thought I was joking at first. but no, I ate those ornaments. They were made of dough!! They tasted like the drop noodles she makes for the chicken paprikash soup. Anyway, after watching the Messin' With Sasquatch commercials, when one of us is driving, we roll down the window and say "Hey, buddy, want a ride?" and roll forward.

Today my friend said he wanted to come over "early early" but he didn't wake up until after 11:20am. I'd been messaging him for awhile and he finally woke up. We took inventory of the plumbing supplies, decided to get a couple more fittings (not in stock at local hardware store). I drew the plan out and explained what I wanted to do with the supply lines. We figured out what fittings would connect where, etc. He has some extra Pex at his house that I can use just in case. Went to Lowes & got the supplies & grabbed some ceiling tiles for his nursery and more staples for the staple gun. I wish I could help him with putting them up but that may be something my brother can help with since he's tall and can reach above his head with both arms. I can only do it with one. Went to my favorite Chinese restaurant afterward and then I dropped him off so he could get ready for work. He was bummed because he thought he was going to get fired-- boss has him training a new person for his job-- but then boss said he's getting a raise. Boss apparently knows he has some of the worst luck-- says he has a black cloud over his head-- and is sympathetic. But really, he's the only person in the region who can do the job-- they tried for over a year to find anyone else to do it and no one else has the skills/knowledge.

Mom apparently tried to call my phone but it didn't ring. Brother messaged my friend saying Mom wanted a Big Mac meal so I got that and the free mocha frappe from doing the survey. She was a bit salty when I got home and I was telling her tomorrow I will have to get my suit on to climb under the house. She got mad and said "When are you going to work on OUR house?" I said "Mom, I AM working on our house. That's what we're doing tomorrow!" She'd thought we were going to be fixing stuff at my friend's house. LOL.

Probably should get an early start tomorrow and get my friend some breakfast before we get to work. He works better on a full stomach.

As an aside we saw they are putting up a new cellphone tower in town. Hopefully it's for a cell service that I have or can get so I'll actually be able to get signal.

I spent all day yesterday working my HVAC contactor starting the install of a new system for my basement project. I was running the duct work while he was setting the unit, a cool Mitsubishi/Trane ducted heat pump. Running the ducts was a challenge, getting around all the obstructions from the upstairs unit, electrical, gas lines, plumbing, central vac, structural elements, etc. We probably have another solid day of work ahead. Plus we're going to replace my two aging units for the first and second floor.

Trane raised their prices 6% from when he first quoted the job, and they are set to raise them another 12% in January. Right now my first floor furnace is on order, the upstairs unit finally arrived and I have all of the compressors and coils for both systems.

That's funny, Spicoli. I'd never seen those ads. Of all the ads out there, I think my favorite are the Jack Links "Messin' With Sasquatch" ones. My dad laughed so hard at them. His favorite was the one with the loose salt cap.

They were Radio only ads. Jack Links were genius and Hilarious.

So.... it would seem the new muscle relaxer is helping. The last massage I got she did a fascia release. It felt like a giant comb lol.
My mom has been ready early for every physical therapy appt since she missed her MD appt a few weeks ago. That relieves a lot of stress for me, and i am sure it is also less stressful for her.
I realize I will be her one day, however I hope that I am more agreeable. (Not exactly the case currently lol)
I am taking a break from making my Thanksgiving dinner today (daughter is helping) we will eat this evening after my oldest and his gf get off work. I work on Thanksgiving day.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family, love and laughter ❤❤🦃🦃

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I wish I could eat Stuffing every day, but then I would be as Fat as a Turkey! Bread just doesn't jive with me.

Too early for the plumbing parts place so I dawdled at Panera. Then picked up a new flush lever. Then read some in a book on decision making. Then used a comealong to hold my position while I stepped on deck board that is warped so I can crouch down and drive screws with my short arms while holding the plank in place. Got several telemarketing calls from con artists with heavy accents.

Should blow leaves, probably won't. :(

Early Happy Thanksgiving, Shan. Hope things go well for you tomorrow. I had to go pick up more mail and then off to the store to grab a couple more supplies for when we crawl under the house. Will need to make sure we absolutely have everything we need. Friend wants to shut everything off, cut all the waterlines, and run the new stuff down under the house to have it ready to connect under the house so he'll only have to go under once. I got him some goggles to wear so crud won't get in his eyes. Can't find the ski mask thingies we used last time & didn't see any in the store. Stores will be closed tomorrow. Friday we are not going anywhere near a store.

My brother made some "red gravy". It was a bit too spicy for me and I had to pick out all the sausage (I don't like sausage for some reason) and added some heavy cream to it & it was good. It's messy though. He spilled it all over the counter and sink & didn't wipe it up so guess what I'll be doing later today/tomorrow. LOL. With the heavy cream it tastes sort of like Tom Kha soup. Can't remember the Thai word for pork. I remember egg and chicken and snake (Gai, Kai, & Gnu).

Tomorrow we are supposed to have ham with brown sugar (since mom claims to hate honey ham-- despite having eaten it without complaint in the past). We don't celebrate Thanksgiving-- haven't celebrated any holidays since my father died.

My orange cat is being extra clingy. He is a quiet cat-- very rarely meows. But last night he meowed at me once and then stood on his hind legs reaching up wanting to be picked up and held. He wanted to lay over my shoulder (like when a baby gets burped). He slept on me all night under the covers. He's currently clinging to my shoulder.

My new Vornado fan arrived. I've got one that has been running for over a decade. New one is replacing a Honeywell that died after a year or so. Had 2 Honeywell fans fail after a year and a half or so. Vornados seem to be sturdier.

Hope everyone is doing well. I ended up visiting my friend to talk about plumbing fittings & the plan for Sunday. He had extra food so I had some stuffing, lima beans with ham, and some sweet potatoes.

Today my friend's bad luck struck again. His front steps broke while someone was stepping on them (fortunately she wasn't hurt). He was late for work because we had to get new steps and put them in. They had some concrete fiberglass ones. They are super smooth and get dirty very easily. Gonna need some sort of textured sealant on them. Friend couldn't drive with low light and needs a ride home. He's trying to see if anyone at his work can give him a lift home but if not I'll go get him.

I also did some cleaning-- not as much as I'd wanted though. My body just wasn't cooperating. I need my brother to take the trash out. Found there is a slow leak under the sink from the cut off cold water line. Shutoff is turned but it's leaking anyway. We'll take care of that on Sunday though.

I discovered that mixing the ham my brother made with the potato soup I made is really good. It hydrates & softens the ham and adds better flavor to the soup.

One of the neighborhood guys called and said he wants to come out tomorrow to help cleanup in our yard. He knows the guy we paid to cut weeds refused to come do the work after getting $. He's such a nice guy. Wish we had some cash for him. Or some vegetables. If my father was still around we wouldn't need the man's help as much, but he'd be getting free veggies from our garden. My father would have kept the garden going. When he died the garden died. The trees stopped producing fruit. Even the pecan trees stopped producing. I don't know if he was fertilizing them or what.

Got Mom's laptop ordered & got an e-mail it was on hold due to billing discrepancy. Billing address is supposed to be same as mailing but we can't get our bills at our house and can't get Fedex/UPS at the post office. I had to call and point out that we've ordered from them multiple times before-- been buying from them since 2008. So they checked and said they would correct that in the system. Still waiting for e-mail confirmation.

Everyone doing OK?
I'm guessing people are busy.

I pulled a muscle when I tried to put my 8" RAS on a table last week or whenever. My back still hurts so I am taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen together for pain. Today I remembered that a nurse from Amite, LA who was well-read on meds and supplements told me that guaifenesin works to extend the benefit of acetaminophen so I am adding that to the mix.

I tore my bicep tendon and it is the worse pain I have ever experienced. Went to 3 docs, had 3 MRI's, 4 Xrays, and now dealing with a surgeon, who is hesitating on corrective surgery. I assisted my neighbors with drinking 4 bottles of wine and got a good night's sleep last night, finally. Sure better than the stupid pain pills they gave me.

Yikes. Sorry to hear about the injuries. Saturday the guy we sold the tractor to came out with a helper to start cleaning up my yard (fallen branches, stray feed bags for the cows, etc). Bush-hogged, cut weeds. Got a good amount of the blackberry bushes down but some were too tough. I mentioned to his helper about a small pine tree growing in front of the workshop door. He took a machete to it. I asked the older guy if we could hire him to cut down some trees (mostly smaller ones) to clear out the chicken yard so we can walk through it. He said yes, but couldn't do it that day. I said that was fine. He also said he'd go grab us some hay for the cows. I apologized for all the feed bags being strewn about- said I had to back off once I opened the bags so the cow wouldn't accidentally get me with her horns. She gets too excited about the feed. I told him if he gets the hay to bring me the receipt so I can pay for the tax on top of the price per bale. I wanted to pay in advance but Mom was asleep & she's got the $. Might see if he'll take a check and give him a little extra over the tax for his trouble.

I helped pick up in the yard along with them. He got the trash burn pile going so I started hauling out old boxes from inside and off the porch. Kitchen trash was overflowing & my brother was asleep but I managed to get the bag out. Unfortunately, it torqued my back. Once I got it to the trash pile I couldn't do any more bending or lifting for the day.

Then I had to make a trip to two different Lowes to pick up some plumbing parts we needed for Sunday. Some of it wasn't in stock at the nearest one so I had to go to the next town over. Popped in to HomeDepot for some head socks (like a sock that will fit over your head with an opening for the eye area). Got my friend some goggles to keep dirt out his eyes.

So Sunday I got up early and started doing as much cleaning to make sure my friend could access plumbing more easily-- did as much as I could but ye olde back wasn't cooperating. Picked my friend up, got breakfast (so he wouldn't be working on an empty stomach), and got to it. Took inventory of the parts, bagged up what needed to go under the house, pre-cut some pipes to length to run down from inside the house, put shutoffs on all of them, put together fittings for outside, went in, shut the water (+water heater & AC to kill that zappy wire that got my friend last time), climbed under the house, pulled the pipes from the top down, hooked in to the manifolds, & got everything run except the cold line to the kitchen sink and the outdoor faucet. My friend's hands were too cramped to use the cinch tool anymore. We spent a few hours under there. He had to cut an access panel in the wall behind mom's lingerie chest.

When my back has recovered I'm going to do some laundry. But, we still have more work to do today-- getting that cold water run to kitchen sink and that outdoor faucet. I will need to add a shutoff on to that faucet bc the old one got cut off. Need to see if I have one on hand or if I need to get one. Getting up super early (before 5am) to take my friend to a store to get something on cyber monday sale that he can't get online. Then after we nap we will work on the pluming more. I have to get some faucet supply lines for my bathroom sink. Also need to figure out what adapters we need to hook to the tubs/showers because they have old valves.

Going to try to catch an hour nap before having to get up.

Needed to go in person to my doc because can’t get thru on the phone & my prescription wasn’t renewed.

But, woke up with severe calf pain, got my crutches, headed to the doc’s office.

Once I hobbled over to the building (no parking available) I realized I left my mask in the car.

The gift shop wanted $5 for said mask but a customer in the shop gave me a mask from her bag for free & and apologized to the shopkeeper.

Got on an elevator with all women. I don't believe they undressed me with their eyes, so No Problem!

The doc’s lady said the prescription was sent to the pharmacy early this morning but she refused to call the pharmacy to confirm (I left my cell at home). Her first name was unusual so I think she habla espanol.

By now my leg was almost better. . .?

How’s that for trivia? :D

@Guzzle I know the feeling, I have fallen into that same crack between doc and pharmacy several times. Fortunately at present I don't have a doc and am on no pharmaceuticals.

Guzzle, so sorry to hear about the pain. Around here people don't usually wear masks so they will give people masks for free if they are required upon entry. No questions asked. Mom couldn't find her mask and I was going to look in the truck but the lady who was gatekeeping the doors handed her a mask to use and keep. I still need to find her mask. I know it's in there somewhere.

Yesterday I got up before 5am and booked to my friend's house and we made it to the store to try to get one of the TVs the app said were still in stock. But apparently employees bought the last ones after closing hours because when we got inside they had none left & the app updated to show they sold out. So we got a couple items there to not waste the trip-- friend found a pack of underwear 50% off (I know there is a joke in there somewhere). We enjoyed the heated seats on the way back and then checked our local stores. Went home, napped, took Mom to get her bloodwork, back home, napped, checked Bestbuy for tv deals & found a good sale on 65" Hisense ULED TV (it's like QLED but w/ new tech to give a crisper picture) & Dolby surround sound. Bought it online, waited for e-mail that it was ready, got e-mail, headed in and grabbed my friend, stopped at Samsclub to get milk and water, Bestbuy to pick up TV (associates were very helpful & friendly), made it back to friend's house & unloaded TV, put it up. Friend moved old living room tv to his bedroom and his old bedroom tv to the baby's room. TV came with voice command remote & it even knows how to properly spell Geoff Castellucci (the baby's favorite singer).

Got back home and crashed. Fortunately, my mother was able to make herself tunafish & crackers and some sandwiches.

Today I took mom for her doctor's appointment-- everything is good but she gained weight and sugar is a little high. She blamed me for buying muffins & donuts (I bought donuts once in the past few months, but I did get muffins). I asked her if I held a gun to her head and made her eat. Doctor laughed. We commiserated about craving sweets & how we can't eat just one. Doctor said they can't have certain foods in their house because they eat them all at once. We have the same problem. He recommended Russell Stovers sugar free candy. Stopped at the post office- my anti-vibration pads for the washing machine & dryer arrived along with my sandpaper for my matrix sander attachment. We went to Walmart afterward & I hated my life while waiting for Mom to pick out what she wanted. Finally got everything (including the aforementioned candies) & headed home. My back was really hating me. Got my brother tagged in to help bring in groceries. He even put some away.

Now that the washing machine will operate again (was refusing to bc it sensed no hot water even when we tried cold only wash) we can do laundry. He's hogging the machine. I held his laundry bag open for him while he unloaded stuff from the dryer.

I dissected a rotisserie chicken, gave the dogs some scraps, and am about to get a nap.

zannej I like the Russell Stover sugar free assorted caramels. Hard to believe they are sugar free.

Back