What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holiday eating. . .:(

In high school I weighed 156, for a while I cut down on the emotional eating & weighed 169 but now I'm at 177, probably until Jan 1. :(

Well, Russell Stover is an example of why you would want to make your own Chocolate, to avoid the massive laundry list of ingredients. Even if you don't go full on Geek like me, you can make real good Chocolate on the stove with a Double boiler, some Coconut Oil or Cacao Butter, Cacao Powder, Sweetener and Mint or Orange flavoring or whatever.

Maybe some of your allergies can be traced to Soy. I know I have that.

The present company who administers the Virgin Mobile contract gave my wife the runaround so I now have to send a registered letter to a bricks & mortar address, if I can find it.
This lost phone can make us liable for 10s of thousands of dollars.

If I may ask, why are they saying that you a liable for that amount? I simply cannot fathom a reason for why that would make any sense; even a very expensive phone costs at most $2k...

Guzzle, I was around 150lbs in high school and that was my healthiest weight for most of my adolescent & adult life. But I haven't been under 200lbs in many years. Two of my medical conditions contribute to weight gain and some of the meds I take to combat them also contribute to weight gain.

If I had the counter space and such I would consider making chocolate. Really need to get the kitchen cleaned up first though.

Kinda ridiculous but I'll report it anyway. Back when I was dyeing washcloths with spent coffee grounds I rinsed the coffee filters and dried them flat. I haven't tossed them so I decided to use them to cover food in the microwave to prevent splatter.

If I may ask, why are they saying that you a liable for that amount? I simply cannot fathom a reason for why that would make any sense; even a very expensive phone costs at most $2k...
It's the calls persons will make on my account & for which I will be on the hook. The H/W is probably worth $1, salvage value.
The $20 CYA letter to Consumer Protection goes out tonight via UPS [not USPS, they're awful].
I'm counting on calls & letters from a collection agency. Maybe they will put a lien on our house.

Guzzle, I was around 150lbs in high school and that was my healthiest weight for most of my adolescent & adult life. But I haven't been under 200lbs in many years. Two of my medical conditions contribute to weight gain and some of the meds I take to combat them also contribute to weight gain.

For a while my BMI was at 30 when I traveled a lot but now I can't seem to get it below 27. :( Some of those opera singers are at 40 or 50.

US society offers us tradeoffs between meds & their side effects, tasty food made in factories, drugs & addictive TV programs to make us happy & distract us, addictive cigarettes made by organic chemists, alcohol, sugar, fat & salt,
& none are much good. :(

Last edited:
My cats just about had a riot this morning because they were out of food and the food bag was in the truck still. Normally they want to cuddle when they come in here, but this time they were informing me that they were hungry & I better get my fat behind up. Good thing they did. Reminded me to take my meds and to actually get up instead of staying in bed listening to the rain. They are now happily piled on keeping my feet, legs, chest, shoulders, etc warm.
I started a new sketchup drawing of my bathroom and my mother's bathroom so I can visualize things. Took some more detailed measurements and poked my head in the closet to see what the interior walls look like. Looks like there is another wall panel on the inside (opposite one of the shower walls for Mom's bathroom). I also did some calculations and figured that if I take the 12' section of the vinyl sheet for her room and cut it to 6'5" I'll have plenty of material to cover her floor as well as have enough to cover the guest bathroom. That's if it is a 12' section & we didn't split it already when cutting it to share for my bathroom. But, I'll figure that out on a dry day when I can drag the vinyl outside and roll it out to measure.

Also been looking up countertop material because the faux green marble thing in Mom's bathroom is not so great.

Speaking of the salt, fat, etc... I'm hungry.

In the last two months I got a lot done around the house and with my hobbies, got a new job, and got some new weights for my gym which was a gamechanger and let me take my workouts to a new level.

Progress on the waterfall table is slow because of other commitments but it's coming along. I'm sanding the routing lines out, then I have to remove the bark. I'm keeping the natural contour though.

Getting away from the computer for a while was a good call, I recommend it.

In the last two months I got a lot done around the house and with my hobbies, got a new job, and got some new weights for my gym which was a gamechanger and let me take my workouts to a new level.

Progress on the waterfall table is slow because of other commitments but it's coming along. I'm sanding the routing lines out, then I have to remove the bark. I'm keeping the natural contour though.

Getting away from the computer for a while was a good call, I recommend it.
Good to see all is well, congrats on the new job!

I was just wondering where you were, Flyover. Good to hear from you.
My allergies are acting up today. I bent down to pick something up last night and got dizzy & I've had a sinus headache all night. I took my allergy meds and when I'm feeling up to it I'll go do the nasal cleansing thing.

Still feeling groggy. The phone woke me up. Some sort of scam call. Number identified as State Farm Insurance but the Indian guy on the line claimed to be from AT&T.

I ordered something from Walmart on a pre-Black Friday sale several days before black Friday. It sold out quick after I purchased it, but apparently they did the equivalent of an airline overbooking. They didn't actually have enough in stock to honor all of the orders but they didn't mark it as "out of stock" or cancel due to being out of stock. The day it was supposed to arrive I got an e-mail saying it was "delayed". It sat on "delayed" for 2 weeks before I finally canceled the order.
There are a lot of people now selling things labeled "Walmart overstocks" or "Amazon Overstocks"... they don't actually have the stuff to sell... just take your money... if you don't complain, they just keep your money... if you complain and ordered through PayPal or similar, you can get your money back... it appears nobody is prosecuting them for doing this scam... so many more are popping up...

The phone woke me up. Some sort of scam call. Number identified as State Farm Insurance but the Indian guy on the line claimed to be from AT&T.
Missed a call at 8:AM this morning. Called the local number showing on Caller I.D. A lady answered and said she hadn't been using the phone, just somebody putting out fake local number on Caller I.D. trying to look like a local business...

I ordered through Walmart's website so it told me I'd get a refund in 7 business days. Will have to check to make sure it gets refunded. I've had that thing with the spoof calls. Very annoying. Apparently someone spoofed my number because a very angry lady called me & demanded to know who I was. I said she called me so she could identify herself. She then claimed I had called her. I said I didn't even know who she was so it was probably a spoof that made it look like it was my number.

Was sick all day yesterday but still had to go do stuff. Saw the dog my friend has been feeding get run over by a dude who was speeding down the road (speed limit is 25 & there are kids on the road). Dude didn't even stop after hitting the dog. Dragged and rolled the poor thing 30ft. Somehow the dumb dog survived (dumb for running into the road as the truck was coming). My friend said the dog was "too stupid to die". I said that it means if the dog had been female and human he would date it. Bonus points because as a female the dog would be a b***, which is just his type.

Today I went to get more groceries & pick up medicine.

A friend got a call from a girl crying, saying grand dad I have been in an accident. He said miss I only have one grand daughter and we are having breakfast together. A man came on the line saying he was a state trooper confirming that his grand daughter was involved in an accident. My friend said I have known a lot of state troopers and they all spoke better English than you do. He heard someone in the background saying hang up, hang up.

Sadly, that sort of scam works on some people. Particularly people who have a bunch of grandchildren or large family. They exploit people with memory problems. I wish there were stricter laws to nail people who do the scams.

I wish there were stricter laws to nail people who do the scams.
There won't be, the bribes have safely landed into the offshore bank accounts.

Lately I've been telling them to call the police since they know they are involved in a criminal enterprise. This does not go over well. :(
To sweeten the deal I should tell them that if they then land in jail they should call me back & I'll post bail. :D

I had trouble getting to sleep last night. Mom wanted food in the middle of the night & gave me a hard time about finding something she would eat. Later on she complained she didn't like it. I took my meds around 11am and Mom woke me up around 1pm (since I was exhausted and napping) and wanted more food. I was having very vivid weird dreams. Can't remember too much about the one the first time I woke up. The one I just woke up from was about staying in a house we didn't know (as temporary guests, but the hosts weren't there) and desperately trying to find a bathroom. In my dream Mayim Bialik was helping me search for one but the house had a very weird layout. Found a cat litter area, a place for dogs to go, and finally found a human bathroom. That was my cue to get up and run to the bathroom. I usually only have those dreams as my body's way of telling me to wake up and go. Also in the dream, there was more than one bathroom in the house & my brother beat me to the first one. When I actually woke up I was hoping he wouldn't be in the bathroom. Since we only have one working bathroom right now it gets super frustrating when someone has to go and another person is already in there. Motivation to get my bathroom fixed up (although I don't want my brother plowing through my room constantly so maybe I won't tell him when it's fixed.

Discovered a leak under the kitchen sink. Thought it was the cold shutoff earlier on but it seemed to have stopped now that cold is not connected (will remedy that later). I heard dripping under the sink. Opened the doors & it was soaked under there. I reached in to feel the hot supply line for wetness-- nothing. Felt around the drain pipes, nothing. Then water dripped on my forearm. I touched the bottom of the sink and felt a wet rubber pad. It was dripping. I looked at it and it appeared to be a couple of inches away from the drain. Drain was still dry. I looked in the sink-- no visible damage. Asked on the plumbingforums wth this could be and was told the pad was to prevent noise in the sink & to peel it off, turn off all the lights, and shine a flashlight to see if anything comes through the sink. Sure enough. Two pinholes right next to each other that had been covered by the pad. Ugh. So, my stainless steel sink has holes. I'll have to replace it eventually. I might caulk it temporarily. I'd just come across my flex tape the other day but now I can't remember where I saw it. Need to find it and slap it on. I told my brother not to put water in that side of the sink but put a bucket under just in case bc he tends to forget things like that.

I received a GoodRx card in the mail today. Does anyone know if they work to save you money and if so how (what is the money trail)? I don't take meds at present but am trying to decide whether to keep the card or trash it. I can't make guitar picks out of it as it seems to have a card stock core.

Back