What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally used the Wasabi (that's the brand name, it has nothing to do with spicy green horseradish) knife sharpener I bought myself back in the fall. Made a few dumb mistakes but none were irreversible; got my big main kitchen knife cutting like a dream again after about an hour of trial and (mostly) error. Next up is the other knives, which are smaller and should be easier, especially since now I know how to avoid all the mistakes I made the first time.

I finally used the Wasabi (that's the brand name, it has nothing to do with spicy green horseradish) knife sharpener I bought myself back in the fall. Made a few dumb mistakes but none were irreversible; got my big main kitchen knife cutting like a dream again after about an hour of trial and (mostly) error. Next up is the other knives, which are smaller and should be easier, especially since now I know how to avoid all the mistakes I made the first time.
I watched a video, that's a neat sharpening jig. I do pretty well with a set of stones but it took some practice and of course my hand angles are approximate whereas yours can be perfect every time.

I watched a video, that's a neat sharpening jig. I do pretty well with a set of stones but it took some practice and of course my hand angles are approximate whereas yours can be perfect every time.
Heh, I don't know that mine are perfect...I don't trust my level (hastily downloaded onto an old bricked smartphone of my wife's) and I think part of my stroke, with the slight downward pressure, seems to want to tilt the stopper up.

To write a book........ hmmm, the thought had occurred to me. I feel like most people would find it made up. However.....@zannej and I have a similar existence. I believe hers is a much larger problem than mine. However, I have noticed the similarities in our story telling, and some stories and the need to use lots of details.
I told my oldest that I should have made a youtube channel a decade ago. It would have been interesting for sure.
We got about 5ish inches of snow yesterday.
Some idiot cut in front of my daughter yesterday and stuff came off the back of his truck, she got a flat tire and then another tire had a chunk out of it, so we bought 4 tires. She was super stressed and emotional which is never a fun combination. Then it took 90 minutes to go 7 miles because of traffic and snow. It was a good thing that I didnt go to work because she would have been in a pickle. She had her puppies with her.
I was hoping to finish getting this "pantry" cleaned out this week so that I could turn it into an office and try to find a nursing job I can do from home. Hopefully next week!

Shan2thmax, I'm glad your daughter was OK despite stuff falling off the truck in front of her. I hate when people don't secure stuff right.

Today I was planning to run PEX down from under my sink so my friend can hook it up at his convenience but discovered I don't have enough of it. I'll have to grab a 10' piece from the store and run it down. While i was out there I decided to put a styrofoam box over the pit with the shutoffs since the lid went missing. I also realized the float lever on the well system was jammed *again* so I had to unjam it. Cistern overflowed yet again. Ugh.

Meanwhile, our 20+ yr old frost free freezer is developing ice, not sealing properly, and leaking water (from ice melting) on to the floor. The subfloor is now wet in that spot. Looks like we need a new freezer. Damn things are $900 for one that isn't even as big. Saw some for $3k, $7k, $11k, and upward. The less expensive ones are not available in my area.

"How Journaling Can Help You in Hard Times
Stressed and isolated? Try expressing your thoughts and feelings in writing."

I've seen it work verbally with others.

I tried to post last night but my ISP is being crappy. Says we went over our limit. We barely loaded any videos. Used far less data this month than usual but our ISP is miscalculating & their customer service is now in India and only reads from scripts. We desperately need a new ISP. I can barely load anything and it's frustrating.

I woke up this morning absolutely drenched in sweat. After a cold shower I did a bunch of cleaning. Got hit with hot flashes and am sweating again. I went outside to cool off but it was too warm outside to cool me off. Perimenopause sucks. Been dealing with it for over 6 years now.

I made a list of things I forgot to get last time I was at the store. I also need to add extra thick gardening gloves to my list since I have to cut blackberry bushes & the thorns go through regular gardening gloves.

At least the chicken soup I made last night turned out well. Mom wants me to make yellow rice but I need to find the right pot, clean it (bc even stuff in the cabinets gets dust), and cook over a hot stove and with feeling overheated its not something I want to do. Chicken soup was done in pressure cooker. Yellow rice doesn't turn out well in pressure cooker.

6?

It's out of my field, way out, but you might have 1 to 5 years more.
The net makes everybody think they are an expert.

There may be software to determine this precisely if there is a market for it.

There is definitely a market for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APACHE_II

Had trouble sleeping last night. Couldn't get comfortable. Too much on my mind. So I ended up playing with Sketchup quite a bit. I rebuilt the ensuite bathroom and found new models to put in- found the right shower and sink. Modified a toilet to be approximate. Learned some new tricks on how to make adjustments- modifying color/brightness/contrast of entire textures and making new colors etc.

Found out that my phone *might* stop working with AT&T next month. They are disabling 3G and will not support any phones that don't have VoLTE. Now, my phone supposedly has it, but so does my friend's phone and they already deactivated his phone (after taking his $ for a monthly plan) saying it is "outdate". If we had another cell service that worked in this area I would dump them in a heartbeat.

Got up early, sneezed my bladder out, took allergy meds & vitamins, swept off the ceiling & cabinets in the kitchen around the ceiling fan to get rid of massive dust bunnies and cobwebs. Attempted to clean of ceiling fade blades but I can't really reach and the stepstool keeps collapsing on me. Left one little spot where I know a spider is holed up eating bugs.

Opened a fresh 25lb bag of cat food, fed kitties, watched an episode of Forged in Fire, and now I'm trying to transfer some data over from my desktop to an external drive. Says 35min left to go on file transfer- but it vacillates between 1hr to 35min.

I'm waiting for my allergy meds to kick in and then I will do some laundry.

You do have a publisher. It's this forum. :)

Our fan blades were cleaned & 8 hrs later one fell off. Missed me by a few inches.
Cleaning blades puts very large torque on the blade mount, which it is not designed to resist.
Had to replace the fan.

My method of cleaning the blades was to stand below the ceiling fan while it was off and try to sweep the stuff off the underside and sides with a broom. It kept spinning. LOL. Anytime I've thoroughly cleaned the ceiling fan blades I've always supported the blades with one hand while gently wiping off the top and sides. I have to be careful bc not a single ceiling fan is actually mounted in a proper box, so the whole thing moves in the ceiling. The fan I was working on has been there since the late 1980s.

Finished transferring data from Program Files and am now transferring over 100Gb from Program Files (x86) over o the portable drive. Says I've got 2hrs and 35min left. We'll see if it will run that long.

I was going to cut weeds in the yard today but it rained all night and is raining now. Explains my gnarly sinus headache.

I back up once/month to an $8 8GB USB thumbdrive. Photos, letters, spreadsheets. The computer estimate is usually off, on the high side.

So...here I am at lunch. Fantasizing about being home. We have 75ish Covid + patients in my facility. I am not taking care of any today.
I think I will work on "the office" tomorrow. Hopefully I have the gumption to do so.
Its rained all day today, wonder if there will be mild flooding in the area. Maybe another snow storm next week?
Hope everyone is well. Gotta go back to work

Still working on a resistor network to combine TV, CD player & laptop earphone output into an amp with no switching & each output not forcing too much current into the devices that are off.

Youtube Oldies are about to get room-filling volume from my ancient HeathKit speakers. :)

Got my laundry in the washing machine (discovered my brother left some wet socks in there that were covered in mold and were still wet-- fortunately, it washed out).
He also didn't clean the lint filter in the dryer. And he didn't shake his clothes out before putting them in the washing machine. They were full of trash. I found candy wrappers, store labels, foil seals for beverages, hair, and all sorts of trash in the front liner thing and in the dryer. Had to clean both out before I could do my laundry. But I "borrowed" one of his laundry hampers. He doesn't know he's not getting it back. :p
I scrubbed the counters down pretty good, washed a bunch of dishes, and then cooked dinner. Waiting on my laundry to dry so I can fold it. I need a nap but brain isn't working.

Saw the formica mom wants or her bathroom is on sale on Amazon so she ordered it. Wish I could find a forgiving contact cement bc I'm worried it will go on wrong and bubble. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to cut it without any chips.

Cats like the clean counters. They were stretched out sleeping on them. Also, this is some of the dust bunny I pulled off of the ceiling fan:
1641766707151.png
Dust, lint, pet fur, and cobwebs.

That kid will kill your washing machine.
IIRC, there was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer put cement in a washing machine.

@zannej I used something like this for my rough cuts. It cuts out an 1/8" strip as you go. I used a router with an edge trimmer for final trimming on the counter. Where I had to join edges w/o an obvious seam I used a router jig that clamped the formica between pieces of laminated particle board with just the edge peeking through for trimming.

Gundlach Plastic Laminate Cutting Shears-11-LS - The Home Depot

Rocked out with my drummer friend today. We sounded good. Tight. (Most of the time.) Big step up having this new effects processor that can do loops so when we get to the end of songs that have guitar solos over the outros I play the riff a couple times, loop it, then change to a more overdriven effects patch (or just turn on the wah, which has a slight overdrive built in), and away I go. Apparently I did this seamlessly enough that he told me he didn't even realize I was doing it the first several times.

So much fun.

But it came at the expense of bark removal on the waterfall table. I'll have to make up for it tomorrow.

Guzzle, it's so frustrating because I don't think he's even aware of how much of a mess he makes. He constantly complains about trash on the floor when it's his "job" to take out trash and it's usually there because the trash overflowed or because he was too lazy to throw it away and just dropped it on the floor. He shoves trash between the fridge and freezer as well as leaving trash on top of them so stuff falls on my head when I open doors. He leaves empty bags and boxes in both the fridge and freezer. He leaves cabinet doors open. The other day he left the kitchen sink running. He doesn't care about wasting water or electricity because he doesn't pay any of the bills. He hogs most of the counter with his stuff in the bathroom, leaves hair shavings all over the floor when he shaves, spills stuff all over counters and doesn't wipe it up. He's going to be 42 this year and he acts like a child. He's decided that he wants to just die young instead of planning for the future or trying to make life better. Sorry, venting.

Thanks, Eddie! I wish I knew what my father had used on the countertops because his cuts came out pretty clean, although the old formica is starting to come up on some of the counters. Do those sheers slide along and cut or do you have to keep moving the handles? I need to find some scraps to practice on.

Sounds like fun, Flyover.

Fortunately, the Deep Clean/Sanitize function on my washer works great. I cleaned the socks, dried them, and threw them at my brother's face when he was lying on his bed. At first he said "What the hell?!" Then he sniffed the socks and said he was happy with the washing machine's work.

I'm waiting for Mom to page me in the middle of the night wanting something because she knows I have to be up early in the morning for my dental appointment. Anytime she knows I have to get up early she'll wake me up in the middle of the night.

Latest posts

Back