What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's going to be 42 this year and he acts like a child.
Lost cause.
Evict.

Today your brother is 42. Tomorrow you wake up & you are 85.
How has your life gone from Jan 10, 2022 to whatever year this is now?
What is your present situation?
Is this situation OK with you?

Last edited:
It's not up to me to evict.
He can be helpful at times but he was always so spoiled he never learned to be responsible for things. He doesn't even think about it. Someone was always cleaning up after him. He was never assigned chores to do. I was the only one of the 3 of us who was made to do chores because I was Mom's least favorite. Jokes on her, now she relies on me to take care of her. LOL.

I gripe a lot, but it could be worse.

@zannej The shears work just like tin snips except they don't twist due to two cutting edges on the bottom forming a channel taking out a 1/8 strip as you cut.

Still working on a resistor network to combine TV, CD player & laptop earphone output into an amp with no switching & each output not forcing too much current into the devices that are off.

Youtube Oldies are about to get room-filling volume from my ancient HeathKit speakers. :)
Been eyeballing a 4 inputs RCA jacks switch at Walmart... but thought I had one laying around here someplace...

For the TV projector, using amp in a receiver to drive the Sonics speakers I bought from the PX while in Vietnam 1970... 5 speakers in each cabinet with 12" woofer... plus a 'center speaker system' and rear speakers... still need a bass box... the projector has speakers in it, but voices coming from the rear of the room behind us doesn't cut it... surprised these speakers still work perfect... friend bought some Utah speakers and the cones rotted out about 30 years ago...

Also need to hook the computer to the projector since it gets more you tube stuff than the projector and it has ad blockers...

I have not done diddly squat today. Placed my grocery orders to be delivered tomorrow, ordered dinner in, sent my daughter out around 1 for some coldstone creamery.

Fantasized about quitting my job all day 😳🤦🏼‍♀️. Dreading Thursday when I have to go back.

Its 850pm and I am going to try to work on some stuff for an hour or so. I had my son get my portable heater off of the top of the closet because this "room" I am making into an office has no heat or air. I have to have it ready before I can apply because they want to see the area to ensure it has doors and is lockable for HIPAA reasons. It's getting closer to being emptied out and I am just going to use the metal wire shelves for office supplies like printer, paper, files etc....

Ok, talking about it has motivated me a bit more even though I am tired..... so, off I go.

Waterfall table: the rest of the bark came off the slab quickly today. I didn't remove every last hairy fiber, but between the putty knife and draw knife I think I got most of it. I might do the miter cuts tomorrow!

Am also going to make a few cuts on some boards I'll be turning into a mini-workbench which will be a birthday present for my son (that I can also use as a low table/sawhorse).

Oh BTW, I got an overpayment notice from my last job. Didn't I gripe about it on here last time that happened? Anyone remember? I think it was the same employer!

Thanks for the info, Eddie. I wish I was confident enough with a router to get the right bit to carefully trim the edge. Is putting some sort of masking tape or painter's tape on the edge I want to cut a good or bad idea?

Buzz, I don't drink caffeine. It gives me arrhythmia and sometimes causes muscular convulsions. What years were you in Nam? My father was in the army from 64 to 68 but he spent at least the first year in Thailand so he was in 'Nam from 65 or 66 to 68.

Sending hugs you way Shan.

Flyover, I think I may vaguely remember you mentioning that before.

My dental appointment went well. But I ended up being exposed to Covid while in line at the pharmacy. My friend's gf's family were directly behind me in line & stood less than 2ft away and talked to me for 15+ minutes. Said they were there to get something to treat their daughter's cold (she was right there and she talked to me). Later on the gf messaged me to say they lied & it was Covid. Now I have to quarantine.

I was already feeling a cold coming on- wet cough, mucus, sinus irritation, etc. I'm currently nauseous from post-nasal drip. If I get any sicker I'll have to get tested to confirm. Hopefully it will be negative. I really don't want my Mom to get sick.

Drank 50 ml of Baccardi Gold. I'm cutting back.

Got another letter from the IRS saying they need more time, so my next outgoing letter to the IRS will be to The Commissioner, by registered mail, summarizing their ongoing soap opera of excuses & asking them some questions they are not going to want to answer. I'm good at that.
I figured they would have already sent somebody by to break my kneecaps. I guess they are short-staffed. :D

Asked for a bid on a 60k input BTU/hr 82% efficient NG furnace. 50-50 they never call back.

Packed away the Xmas stuff.

Sat at my notebook Apple posting to this forum.

Good Luck, Z... Kill it off with Vitamin C, D, Zinc... I think I had the Moronic variant, and killed it off in a couple days. I'll never get tested because the protocol is the same for any cold or flu. I just avoided people for a week and a half. That, and the tests aren't anymore effective than the vaccine.

If it was Covid, it goes along with them saying Moronic is weak... It was about 10 percent what the colds I had as a kid growing up were, and now I'm immune.

@zannej Some people use a utility knife to score deeply on the backing side and break like drywall or glass. My guess is that is best used for smaller cuts. Also some installers cut it just a bit larger than the substrate and file it to be flush with the edge.

I don't know if tape would help to get a smooth edge with the shears or not. I didn't try it since it was my rough cut. As you can see compared to the pencil line the edge on my cutoff is not a usable finished edge.

0111221229.jpg

I used this device on the edge when I was doing a butt joint and my seams are essentially invisible.

1641925679692.png

Last edited:
Spicoli, I operate the same way I do with the flu as well, but I admit I wouldn't object to getting tested just to get my nasal passages cleaned out enough to make it easier to breathe through my nose. I'm going to wait a few days and go in for the nose-scrubbing. Hopefully I won't actually get it. I'm already having some sort of mild respiratory crud. When I thought I might possibly have Covid last year (before testing was available) and I had to go to the store I got in, got my stuff, & got out. Didn't stop to chat with anyone, didn't touch anything I wasn't buying, didn't get near other people. I just followed Walter the ventriloquist dummy's orders of "Get your sh** and get out!"

Eddie, what would you use on the front edge of a countertop with a flat edge? I will need to trim the edge piece both top and bottom and the front edge of the piece laying on top. I was thinking for the top part I could flip the countertop face down and then score the edge with a knife. Maybe for the front edge it could be turned up on the edge so the formica would be scored from the underside.

So, my friend wasn't able to pay his full bill for the month (it was fully paid the month before) but he made a partial payment of half the bill that it showed was owed 11 days ago. Today they shut off his power with no notice. He checked his bill and they said he owed $1,000.09. It wasn't even time for his bill to be due yet. They keep making his bill higher every single month. It's a 2 bedroom house. No way they are using so much power. I've got a 3 bedroom house with a well house that runs water pumps and a workshop and my bill is lower despite them tacking on $100 extra fee every month. They charge 10.79cents a kwh. Not sure what the hell my friend's power company is charging per kwh. But I do know it's illegal for them to cut off someone's power if they made even partial payment and their policy is a 20 day grace period and they didn't give him that or notice.

Z, you have 2 other options to clean your sinuses out... You can snort a line of Cayenne powder, which is a helpful way to figure out you're still alive... Or, you can get a Neti Pot... It's like Navage, but $8 or so instead of $100. You can get one at any Natural Health store.

I forgot to mention with the Vitamin C, the virus test... If you swallow enough Vitamin C, like 2-4 grams, your body will keep it if it's fighting a virus. If it's not fighting a virus, it will dump it in the toilet. That's not from me, that's from an Orthomolecular PhD, Andrew Saul.

Regardless, if I had the Moronic variant, I will take that every month for the fun of it. It was so weak, it gets picked on by the other variants at Covid recess because it's so weak.

You live in the %#$#%$#%@ Twilight Zone! Everything you say about that hellhole is insane... Normally I would say "In all due respect to where you live", but there is no pulling punches for your area. Are you sure you don't live in Beirut?

He's getting screwed, it's not possible for the bill to be that high unless he's running a Meth lab. I'm at about 11 cents, and my bill is around $120 for Electric and Natural Gas.

"owed $1,000.09."
They're cutting their losses by cutting his power.

Interest on the unpaid balance @ some high rate? Even if it's legal, getting his story into the local paper may help.

An unpaid balance of $100 owed 4 months ago @18%/month = $194.

Spicoli, I'm allergic to Cayenne pepper. I do have nasal sprays and such but they hit a blockage and won't go further. I have a deviated septum so one passage is smaller than the other. It took the brush to get past whatever the blockage is.

I agree that there is no way in hell his bill was legitimately that high. Yeah, this area sucks.

Guzzle, He wasn't in several months of arrears though. He'd paid in full for all of the previous months but last month he had to make a partial payment and his bill for this month wasn't even due yet. They charged him an extra $140 fee on top of things and by law, they can't cut someone's power if they have made payments within 20 days. He was waiting for his next paycheck to pay more but they somehow artificially inflated his bill. They also refuse to let him see what his meter readings are and they don't give him a breakdown of his usage. They just give him a $ amount. I almost wonder if they are confusing his meter readings with the readings from the nearby grocery store somehow.

He should write to the Public Utility Commission in his state. Meanwhile I guess he should get a generator or run a very heavy extension cord from his neighbor's outside outlet. Don't run motors from this, tho.

There are no US debtor's prisons that I know of, so in principle he never has to pay them.

Welcome to US corporations & monopolies. BTW, the PoCo is a "natural" monopoly.

Our ISP has already gotten unpaid labor out of us.

@zannej I don't know what to advise as I have no experience other than what I did · · · and some of the details there I have forgotten. Maybe watch every YouTube video you can find on the subject. It would be nice if you had some scrap formica to practice with.

I used a trim router (not a full sized one) and did some practice on sink and cooktop cutouts before getting brave enough to do the front edge.

Home Depot had a video showing how to install the formica over old formica that explained the process. I'd need a fine tooth downward cutting blade that fits my B&D Matrix jigsaw (but I can't seem to find downward cutting ones) and a ball bearing pilot bit that cold fit my B&D Matrix router attachment (or see if I have a router somewhere in the workshop). I think I have a plunge router somewhere.
Was really hoping the score and snap might work for some of the edges (before having to smooth them down. I'll have to find some old formica somewhere to practice on. The stuff going up the walls as backsplash in Mom's bathroom is not glued on, so I could use it.

Guzzle, they have actually restarted debtor's prisons in some states. One of the A states (can't remember of it was Arkansas or Alabama). People who have serious debt can be put in prison. Also, we do have a sort of debtor's jail system with people who couldn't afford to pay parking tickets/fines etc who end up going to jail for nonpayment, are unable to work to pay the fines, and perpetually stay in jail. They've had news stories on it because it involves private prisons.

Daycare was closed yesterday so I had the baby with me all day, thus no lunchtime miter cuts on the table yet. Today though...

I did manage to steal some time for myself while the baby was napping to mess around with some clean guitar tones on my effects processor. It was through headphones so I don't know the "true" sound, but it sounded good to me anyway. It's cool how sometimes just having a new sound in your ears draws you along into writing new stuff (this definitely happened yesterday :)).

For some reason, although I get a better distorted tone with better dynamics when I roll back the volume knob on the guitar to about midway, with clean tones it sounds better with the knob rolled all the way up, and still with lots of dynamic range. I wonder if it's because I never actually set my guitar up properly when I upgraded the pickups: I'm pretty sure they're mounted too low.

A buddy of mine used to do guitar setups. At the risk of having to find a new sweet spot for dynamics, I should ask him to take a look at it.

Back