What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine used to do guitar setups. At the risk of having to find a new sweet spot for dynamics, I should ask him to take a look at it.
Out of my field.
Does he use an oscilloscope & signal generators [triangle wave, square, sine]?
Guitar to pickup to electronics to speakers. Acoustic to electronics & back again.

I don't play well enough to justify getting one but I think the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro comes with the Peter Green pickup mod. I have a Fernandez sustainer.

I wish I knew more about musical instruments and the tuning stuff.
Woke up this morning feeling nauseous. Stomach does not like me. It was cold last night but the kitties kept me warm. I took some medicine & went back to sleep, just got woken up by the phone. Mom's eye doctor is going to be out of the office at the time of her appointment so they want her to come in during the morning instead of afternoon. Means we'll have to get up extra early because she takes a long time to get ready. I need to do some more loads of laundry for her soon, but my guts don't want me bending or lifting.

My friend reported that his gf has gone into full hypochondria mode and was sobbing like a baby yesterday because she had a temperature of 100.8. She went to the hospital over it & they sent her home & told her to rest. I try to remind myself that she has mental disorders that make her oversensitive and panicky about stuff. She's got mild schizophrenia so every minor medical thing freaks her out.

My one-eyed kitty is nipping at my hand right now because I'm typing instead of petting her.

Thanks, Eddie!

My friend's gf tested positive for Covid today. Said her lungs and chest hurt, she's having fever & diarrhea. Her baby now has fever and diarrhea. The people who infected her are also feeling bad today, but apparently that didn't stop them from going to Walmart. I messaged the friend who works there on Monday to tell him the people he saw behind me in line at the pharmacy have Covid & to steer clear. He told me they have been back in the store every day since- sometimes more than once per day. He's kept his distance though. He also told me that if I order curbside pickup he will make sure it gets brought out to me- but he said the pharmacy can't do curbside bc they are too understaffed. Said the store might have to shut down bc so many people have Covid.

I'm still feeling nauseous. Got a sinus headache and earlier was having arrhythmia. Got irritation/itchin/tickling in my trachea. Almost out of cough drops. I've ordered more as well as vitamin C and zinc.

I did get some stuff done today- swept the hallway & wiped muddy pawprints off the counters. I'm about to see if the laundry is dry in the dryer. I picked up a bunch of Mom's laundry off her floor, shook it out, checked pockets to make sure they were empty, etc, and tossed them in. She tries to put her laundry in a basket/hamper but her dog pulls stuff out and stretches it across the floor so he can roll in it and sleep in it.

Took my Vitamin C and other vitamins. Made myself go outside, get gloves, and start cutting blackberry bushes. But the little mini chainsaw thing doesn't cut too much at a time and I have to hold each branch/weed I'm cutting on one end so it will actually cut and not just move. 1st battery died on me. Switched to second, realized I was sweating & getting short of breath. I need something that can cut larger swaths of these dry blackberry bushes. They were getting tangled on my sleeves and pants. I don't want anything gas powered (my gas cans all got stolen). I like battery powered stuff. A bunch of my weed-eating tools were stolen by the guy who was paid for yard work but never did the work. I'm very tempted to contact him and say "Hey, you still owe $800+ of work, come cut these blackberry bushes) and then watch him like a hawk." but I doubt he has any intention of ever repaying the money with work or $.

I went for a walk and took in some nice deep breaths of the fresh air-- then devolved into a sneezing fit. I can't even figure out what is in the air to get my allergies going outside, but apparently there was something.

Feeling really tired but could feel worse. Cats are piled on the bed and spread out in the room on boxes and furniture. Dog is racked out at the foot of the bed. I'm waiting for Mom to want food so I can cook something for her.

Got 84' of gutters in four sections installed at the low bid of $1400 but they did try to sell me new fascia board @$12/ft. Maldito!

That didn't work & so then I watched them for the whole 3 hrs (two guys).

50-50 I go with them for new siding.

They have my number & I have theirs, so to speak. :)

I can't believe sheet metal costs that much. I assume they have the roll on the truck, and it just feeds it out and makes the gutters on site?

I can't believe sheet metal costs that much. I assume they have the roll on the truck, and it just feeds it out and makes the gutters on site?
Yeah, they used my outside GFCI to power the machine. I'd have used a gen so a HO can't say they destroyed his house wiring. That cord must have been #8 AWG, it was a half inch thick.

That's what I don't know, the cost of 5" K style 0.032" white aluminum, 4ea. 2x3 downspouts, bands, end caps, supports every 18" on my say so, etc..

This is just stupid 😳. I work 12 hours Sunday, and have to cross at least one bridge over the Ohio River to get home in all this junk in the dark.
I am terrified of plummeting off a bridge into the river. (Short story.... I was dragged through flood waters when I was a small child).
Anywhere from 6 to 9 inches 🤢
Screenshot_20220114-205859_Facebook.jpg

Shan, that does sound frightening. I once got grabbed by some undertow and dragged in the ocean when I was first learning to scuba dive. Not nearly as dramatic though. I do often have anxiety dreams about going off bridges or roads in to water in a vehicle and trying to get my mother out before the vehicle completely sinks and fills with water.

I've been wearing a mask and trying to isolate from my mother (don't care if I have a cold, flu, or Covid-- I don't want her getting sick). But that got blown today. I was eating some pork chops and was chewing very carefully because I've had trouble in recent months with swallowing meat for some reason. I started getting air bubbles that I couldn't belch out and the food felt like it was getting stuck. I started hiccupping and felt myself choking a bit. I drank some water to try to flush it down but it backfired. It came pouring out my nose and mouth and I couldn't breathe for at least 30 seconds and ended up having to spew all the water and chewed meat all over myself, the floor, and apparently on the dogs. I made it to the trash can and heaved as much as I could out. But apparently Mom's little dog went running to her and climbed in her lap. She heard me hacking stuff up so she knew it was me and called me to say the dog got my puke on her. She was laughing about it though. I then had her pound on my back to get the air bubbles out. General consensus among friends is that it's probably acid reflux symptoms. Bleh. At least my nostrils got cleared out but my throat doesn't feel great.

Time for the dogs to get baths.

Got the miters on my waterfall table cut a few days ago but haven't had a good opportunity to glue up yet. Today's unlikely to work because I probably will spend most of it at the auction house picking up the treadmill we won...this particular warehouse has been a crowded, poorly run clusterf the last few years.

Realized the table is red oak, not red maple. Explains a lot.

I am terrified of plummeting off a bridge into the river. (Short story.... I was dragged through flood waters when I was a small child).
That seems to count as a phobia, but it may not be disabling.
Still, nobody needs more anxiety nowadays. :(

I was eating small stick pretzels dipping them in mustard when I recalled my first taste of such. When I was 13 we were visiting my mom's sister in NJ. My cousin and I rode the bus from Haddon Heights to Haddonfield to go swimming in the municipal pool. Ar the concession stand she introduced me to a stick pretzel held with a napkin and brush painted with mustard. I was also introduced (not at the pool) to pecan sticky buns which I have never seen any that compared with them to date.

The cabinets in my house are made of red oak, and back in the 80s we got 1k board ft of oak for around $200 so we had a lot of it for projects. It's not easy to cut through and drill unless you have very good bits & blades.

Friend's gf called after midnight bc my friend had to go to the ER. He had trouble breathing and was coughing up dark blood. Said he made a Jackson Pollock style "artwork" on the ER wall with blood when he really got to coughing. They didn't really do anything for him- just ran tests and sent him home. Pretty much what they always do with any serious ailment unless they have to transport someone to another hospital so they can get competent treatment, but the other hospitals were all full. They send people home when they are having heart attacks & stroke bc they suck here. They prescribed prednisone and told him to take Tylenol for his massive headache. He should probably be getting meds via a nebulizer, but they are absolutely incompetent.

Been coughing up mucus this morning. bleh. Need to get more Mucinex but the store was out.

His GF just called again. Her boss was absolutely insisting she had to come in to work today despite still being sick. She got to work and they could see she was sick, asked what was wrong, she told them and they said "WTF? Go HOME!" and said they would speak to HR. But a cook just got fired for being sick. I think they need a class action lawsuit for people getting fired for being sick with something contagious and not being able to work. Again, don't care what virus it is-- if it's contagious and a person is ill, they don't need to be made to go to work sick & risk losing their job. She was stressing last night about having to go to work sick & they demanded she come in or lose her job and then when she got there they said she's not even on the schedule. So, someone is dicking her around I think.

. . .pecan sticky buns which I have never seen any that compared with them to date.
Down here I can get New York Style Crumb Cake but none of the other stuff I had as a kid.:(
Seems to me Entenman's made some kind of cream filled cake.

Of all places I found something close (but not quite) to the NJ buns in Anchorage, AK. I should have asked them if they were from NJ. I am told that none come close to NY pizza either.

When I was a kid it seemed nothing ever changed. Now it seems that everything is changing all the time.

I hardly recognize my NJ home town & the address at which I first lived may not exist anymore.

I stand corrected, it rents for $1200/mon.

Made some Chocolate yesterday with the intention of using Erythritol instead of Sugar because it's actually good for teeth, as the bacteria like Strep Mutans can't feed on it, likewise with the gut. I made the mix 70% (65% Cacao Nibs, 5% Cacao Butter, 30% Erythritol.) That was a mistake, as it seems much sweeter in the bar than by the spoonful. I might try Xylitol next time, which is also friendly for the teeth. (And is less potent).

The next batch will be 90% though, so I can establish a baseline between "Way too much Cacao" and "Way too sweet"...

When adding ground chunky Coffee into the mix with Cane Sugar, the Coffee tames it way down at the 70% level, so I know there is a sweetener, but it's not powerful. That isn't the case with Erythritol, which is full blast. It's all a grand experiment, and it's fun... The smell of fresh ground Cacao is like Heaven, and it fills the whole house. If you have never used a Melanger, you don't know that smell. If you have made Chocolate on the stove with Cocoa powder, you still don't know the smell. It's just indescribable.

Attachments

• Choco start.JPG
    Choco start.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 4
Back