What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is gorgeous.
Aside from a section roughly between Cleveland and Akron that I've always loved, Ohio gets more scenic (but unfortunately, with fewer opportunities for work) as you go south and east.

I've known several people who lived in Athens and commuted to Columbus, which I find insane. Then again, since leaving CA I've been pretty averse to any commute longer than 10 minutes (and in the last few years, any commute longer than walking to my basement).

One of my best friends is in town visiting from the other side of the planet. Haven't seen him in about 7 or 8 years. He's here with his wife, whom I've never met. We'll all have lunch today and then spend the day together so he can meet my kids. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me but I'm very excited.

This resonance thing is the same reason soldiers marching over a bridge are supposed to break up their steps.

And metal fatigue came as a big surprise for a railroad bridge a long time ago.

Will be making 60 phone calls after 7 PM to get bids on flooring, siding, window cleaning & NG furnace replacement.

The first two HVAC guys would not tell me how much a control board would cost but instead talked about warranty.

With one window cleaning co., the daughter of the owner is the girl friend of my wife's friend's son.
I thought I should mention that because it would give us an "inside track" but my wife says "No."

OK. . .no. :(

There is a sizable amount of staff that drive 45 to 90 minutes one way to my facility which I find crazy. The wear and tear on your car, and travel time alone would have to eat up the increased wages I would think.

We are supposed to get a little more snow tomorrow night and saturday. I am excited for warmer weather so that the puppies can be outside longer and my daughter has more day light to deliver in and I can plant some sunflowers!

Mom woke me up an hour earlier than I'd planned to go in. Brother wasn't feeling well, coughing up green mucus, so I went by myself to get mail and then stand in line at the pharmacy. My friend who works there wished me luck on my way in. It was a fairly long wait, but not as long as last time. The lady behind me was an elementary school teacher. She said she's sick but out of sick days and that they will still make her work from home and post online but not pay her because she can't physically come in. Pretty sure it's illegal for them to have her work and not pay her for it, but not surprised.

I noticed the pharmacy clerk who is normally fairly chatty and friendly seemed like she could barely move. She was still friendly, but I could tell she was not feeling well. She's been moving a lot slower the last few times I've seen her, but she looks like she's getting up there in age.

I grabbed some groceries that were back in stock, said bye to my friend on the way out (he now stands with the greeters) and went to load stuff into my truck. Pudding cup slipped out of its box and as I was sliding it back in, it managed to cut my thumb open and make it bleed. Papercut type- nothing major, but annoying as hell. It adds to my list of weird injuries/cuts: medicine blister pack foil, glass shelf, microwave door, & paintbrush were all on the list before.

I cooked one of the tv dinners for Mom and she was happy. Was feeling kind of weak and exhausted so I took a nap. Just woke up after Mom paged to tell me someone in our town extorted several hundred thousand $ from the city somehow. I'll have to look it up later. I was too tired.

Woke up around 0400 because a smoke alarm started it's battery end of life chirp. Of course that never happens at 1300. I replaced the batteries in all 5 alarms, but there was no napping after that. I like to get up at 0500 anyway. I don't know if the First Alert alarms themselves are the problem, or the Kirkland "Duracell" AA batteries that only last 4 months are. I'm going to get some Dollar Store AA's for my next rotation as an experiment.

The main companies (First Alert and Kidde) must enlist their employees to relentlessly bash the other brand, as both have Thousands of horrible reviews.

I wear ear protectors B4 I press the self-test button.
Some of these smoke detectors work down to 7.6v, others bail at 8 something.
Defender makes a CO detector that alarms at very low levels.

Looked up a cone-beam x-ray machine for dental work. A chat window popped up so I asked them how much it cost. Wrong way to start a live chat! :(

Yeah, I think my brother is on prednisone for the sinus infection. I thought I was going to get prednisone but I think the NP mixed me up with another patient. Gave me some anti-malaria drug that has made me very sick. Ugh.

I'm trying to not throw up.

With Metronidizole I have low level nausea for the two week course.

"Prednisone is used to treat many different conditions such as hormonal disorders, skin diseases, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, allergic conditions, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, eye diseases, lung diseases, asthma, tuberculosis, blood cell disorders, kidney disorders, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple sclerosis, organ transplant rejection, swelling from a brain tumor or injury."

Mein Gott!

Grainger wants $1,100 for ~90k btu/hr, 80% eff. furnaces.
The first bid came in at $4,200, so possibly $200 per manhour of labor, or slightly more.

Still feeling a little crappy, but could be worse. I'm mostly tired. The kitties are making me feel a little better by purring for me. My brother made red beans and rice which turned out well. This time he left out stuff that I can't eat so its better.

Some time ago I thought I lost a flip phone my wife gave me & wanted the account closed & a refund of the unused minutes, maybe $300 worth. The provider gave her the runaround, I wrote to Consumer Protection, the cleaning lady found the phone under something in the house after a week or two, I wrapped it in tin foil to put it incommunicado.

Today we got a check with no explanation for $140 from some corp. that may be related to the provider.
Had a letter ready again to the Cons. Prot. asking that they compel whoever sent us this check to explain the amount in a sworn statement.
My frau put the kibosh on this. I then recommended she ask the bank if this check will bounce.

If the check clears I will be putting a propane torch to this phone, then autopsy it.

Putting stuff in writing apparently compels agencies to respond. For now.

Last edited:
I wear ear protectors B4 I press the self-test button.
Some of these smoke detectors work down to 7.6v, others bail at 8 something.
Defender makes a CO detector that alarms at very low levels.

Looked up a cone-beam x-ray machine for dental work. A chat window popped up so I asked them how much it cost. Wrong way to start a live chat! :(

Well, the out of life batteries according to the smoke detector show up as almost fully charged in the Roku remote.

Back